• Views 133,337
  • Replies 916
  • Likes 15

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Businesses are in the market to profit, not for the best interests of the consumer. Most any manufacturer releases a new SKU every few months. If you've ever tried to keep up with Microsoft volume licensing sales you would understand. What is correct now changes every few months.
This is the videogame piracy business not MS bulk licensing. Video game hardware can hardly be compared to software licensing.

Your ideal goal is to never have to setup a new manufacturing line, you can rebrand old product, but you should never be creating a new SKU cause it requires new parts, and new manufacturing process which raises your COGS, which means your product's profit margin decreases, since the cost of the product stays relatively the same, you can't increase the price beyond what the market can bare. So you end up eating the increases in your COGS, and you lose distributors because they are now sitting on tons of useless product from their last order.

GW and R4I, have it right, they have same product SKU and each year their COGS go down, so they increase their profit margin year after year.

Think about it, SKY+ cost more than SKY R2, and SKY R2 cost more than SKY R1 to manufacture, each revision lowers their profit margin, and they also must eat the cost of R&D and the cost of setting up new manufacturing lines, and the cost of distributor returns for old stock.

Sky is not being smart business-wise, they are good reverse engineers, but bad business folks.

Last edited by KSP,

qproject

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Having a new SKU each year isn't bad business. Look at iphone and other manufacturer, they do the same thing but iphone get sold out every year on release. So is Apple losing money selling an $800 iphone and only cost $200 for parts?

Does it really cost $90 to produce sky+ ?

Last edited by qproject,

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't compare SKY to Iphones, IPhone is a fashion statement and status builder. People get the new IPhone like getting a new Burberry Jacket, it shows how rich and in style they are.

Sky is a card designed for video game piracy, its not a status symbol or a fashion statement.

I get a new Burberry jacket every year cause it keeps me in style in certain circles, but I couldn't care less what piracy card I use as long as it gets the job done.

Different market, different product.

Bottom line is Sky can only charge so much for their card before they price themselves out of the market, and with each revision they end up spending more on R&D, Distributor Returns, and Manufacturing and in turn lower their profit margin.

Sky is not selling Burberry jackets, they are selling piracy cards.

qproject

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok but you have to admit the sky+ could be final SKU with firmware updatable. That leads more profit margins in future market for piracy. But 2016 will be the last of 3DS before Nintendo release a new handheld.

If sky did it right the first time around I could see them having a large profit margin. I agree.

hamstrman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm I read mynintendonews and nintendolife. Next year Nintendo will be releasing a new console or handheld/console hybrid, at the moment the codename is NX. All rumores though.

Well yeah, I've been reading about the future existence of the NX for some time now, but they said it would be neither console nor handheld, some... who the hell knows? I just read recently something like it would transcend both platforms.

I guess your posts keep throwing me off with their specifics and certainty.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If sky didn't get block.....why build a new card and add the ability to bypass ap checks and an updatable card? They made there money with the 1st and 2nd card and waited until the time was right to fully release their next version. They knew what they were doing.

qproject

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well yeah, I've been reading about the future existence of the NX for some time now, but they said it would be neither console nor handheld, some... who the hell knows? I just read recently something like it would transcend both platforms.

I guess your posts keep throwing me off with their specifics and certainty.

3DS is on its last leg. There are some good jrpg games coming out next year but after spring theres nothing. Even SSMB DLC updates are ending after Feb 18.

hamstrman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is on its last leg. There are some good jrpg games coming out next year but after spring theres nothing. Even SSMB DLC updates are ending after Feb 18.

I mean, it hasn't been presented yet, and there are rumors it will come out next year. But they can't cut off the 3DS until a new device takes its place. There's always an overlap for any console/handheld for any of the big 3.

But I digress. I don't want to get in trouble for hijacking this thread.

Glad I was able to sell my Blue button for the exact cost of the new one. At least I won't have purchased a new item for a dead device.

Which, you haven't mentioned the futility of buying the orange button given that they only started AP NOW and the device will be gone in less than 6 months... Apparently.

Edit: Just read this saying "Nintendo 3DS is here to stay". Don't know how accurate it is.
http://gamesided.com/2015/12/14/nintendo-3ds-outselling-playstation-4-xbox-one-combined/

Last edited by hamstrman,

qproject

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, it hasn't been presented yet, and there are rumors it will come out next year. But they can't cut off the 3DS until a new device takes its place. There's always an overlap for any console/handheld for any of the big 3.

But I digress. I don't want to get in trouble for hijacking this thread.

Glad I was able to sell my Blue button for the exact cost of the new one. At least I won't have purchased a new item for a dead device.

Which, you haven't mentioned the futility of buying the orange button given that they only started AP NOW and the device will be gone in less than 6 months... Apparently.

AP checks was around when Puzzle & Dragons released. I'm just upgrading to orange button to play around with the hardware and out of curiousity. I don't have any 3ds firmware higher than 9.2. I might get a collectors 3ds and use sky+ with it.

Hopeful Death

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some good jrpg games coming out next year but after spring theres nothing.

Well yeah, there's not going to be many solid release dates at the moment for games that won't be released over 5 months from now. That doesn't mean that's when the system dies.

Dragon Quest 11 at least is probably coming near the end of 2016. It's basically guaranteed life until that game comes out since it's freaking Dragon Quest.

Reactions: hamstrman

Lyezech

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're not ignorant. They don't have a seller in their region that sells it cheap like we get here. I pre-ordered orange edition for only $75 CDN.

At ebay people are selling Steam Controller for like 3x times the price. Not everyone have it in their region.
If I may ask, where did you manage to pre-order orange button for $75 in Canada??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?