New official DualShock 4 attachment adds two extra buttons to the back of the controller

Your DualShock 4 might be getting a makeover next year, as Sony has debuted a new first-party accessory for their controller. Introduced as the Back Button Attachment, it snaps onto the back of any regular DualShock 4, and adds two buttons to the back panel of the gamepad. You can map these two keys to perform up to 16 different functions, such as the shoulder or face buttons of your choosing. There are three different profiles that can be set, as denoted by an OLED screen on the device. The Back Button Attachment will hit retail shelves late next month in the United States, for a price of $29.99, while the UK will get it slightly later, on February 14th.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
That screen is just gonna attract more mosquitoes in the summer.

...and drain the battery faster.

Unless maybe it's activated only when you flip the controller (like when you tilt a smart watch to its side to read it, and it turns on at that moment).

Seems useless. Just put this on the PS5 controller. It's the Wii's motion plus all over again.

Yeah, have they learned nothing from Nintendo?

Remember that rumble pack for the N64? Neither do I!

Last edited by DSpider,

snobbysteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool to see console trying to move towards making back padals a standard. I am not sure if this will feel as good as actual padals like on the xbox elite controller or a scuf controller. But I might have to try it out.

607jfxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's just me but I've had multiple controllers with remapping paddles/buttons and never used them. I find it takes longer for me to press them and there generally aren't any buttons I can't reach quick as to give me an advantage to map them to the back. Maybe if I had smol hands it would be different, or maybe I'm just odd.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think we can all agree that if you're not using a Wiimote, you bought the wrong console. That fact that you can pick up a used Wii with Wiimotes for less than this DS4 add-on costs only confirms it.

Reactions: Ryccardo

skinnyBIGGS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cash grab anyone....???? No ty saving for your upcoming system called ps5 anything ps4 at this moment is counter productive to goal... owning a f ing ps5 .... lmfao

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Am i the only person that hates the DualShock 4?
Like, i think the PS1, PS2 and PS3 Controllers are fine, but i hate the PS4 Controller.

Corgano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to know how this works. Is there any kind of reverse engineering scene for this thing? I'd love to see it built into a chat pad, or being able to get cheaper versions from china.

About the whole "err muh battery life" people, it's A. an oled screen. Uses next to no power. Also B. It turns off after 5 seconds, so for how briefly it's on, it probably draws less power than the micro that reads the button and does the communication.

Last edited by Corgano,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: food?