New official DualShock 4 attachment adds two extra buttons to the back of the controller

Your DualShock 4 might be getting a makeover next year, as Sony has debuted a new first-party accessory for their controller. Introduced as the Back Button Attachment, it snaps onto the back of any regular DualShock 4, and adds two buttons to the back panel of the gamepad. You can map these two keys to perform up to 16 different functions, such as the shoulder or face buttons of your choosing. There are three different profiles that can be set, as denoted by an OLED screen on the device. The Back Button Attachment will hit retail shelves late next month in the United States, for a price of $29.99, while the UK will get it slightly later, on February 14th.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1. Call me childish, but they just added a wee wee to the dualshock.

2. If this is any good and comfortable remains to be seen when trying it out and holding it in my hands.

3. The Dualshock 4 has really terrible battery life (I've had to swap several batteries too), and the usb connection is really badly made, imo, especially that tiny circuit board with the connector and led. The impact on battery life needs to be clarified and tested by whomever tests it. It would be nice if it worked as a sort of power bank however increased weight is very important to consider in this case. And yes the ds4 can technically be charged from the same connector as well. Some stands use this.

4. Still, though, innovation is always nice and I've always been curious about back buttons. Maybe it's a test for the future dualshock 5.

Last edited by Zense,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
as if the damn thing didn't have enough buttons already. what does it have 13?! and they think it needs more...
f_facepalm.gif

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you guys saying it's useless

You control current gamepads with 2 fingers - thumb and index finger

We are really underutilizing our hands - this can allow you to hit O X Δ etc without taking your hand off of the right control stick. And you know, use at least one more of the neglected 3 fingers.

Really, in a perfect controller, the face buttons should all be on the back. The current layout is a holdover from old times and definitely not the best layout possible

D

Deleted User

I'd think they would put all dev resources into the Dualshock 5, but I guess not.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The best controller out ther becomes even better
Best ? I've had several dualshocks fall on the ground lightly and stop working afterwards while my xbox controller has fallen over a million times and still works perfectly. PlayStation controllers are known to be cheaply made

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, the mugs are gonna be all over this... £29.99??? Fucking kidding me right?
The hideous DS4 is gonna look so much better with this growth stuck to it, Talk about timing too! Lets fleece the fans one last time before the next one comes along :rofl2:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Best ? I've had several dualshocks fall on the ground lightly and stop working afterwards while my xbox controller has fallen over a million times and still works perfectly. PlayStation controllers are known to be cheaply made

Agree, Weakest controller of this gen for sure!

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've played CoD with a StrikePack FPS Dominator purely for the back paddles to have melee (no mods) and that alone made playing multiple much more enjoyable so I think this is a great idea to officially sell. If it isn't for your tastes (and I'll grant you that you'd be in the majority I'm sure), that's cool too. But I've always liked options and with Xbox Elite, Scuf being bought, Astro making controllers, it's clear gamers want options too and are ready for extras like this.

Reactions: bomigoton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: