oraimo HyperGaN 120W & 65W chargers Impressions

GBAtemp Oraimo HyperGaN 120W 65W chargers impressions.png

Tech accessories manufacturer oraimo has a range of product lines ranging from power banks to USB cables. They’ve recently released some GaN (gallium nitrate) chargers which we will take a closer look at in this article.

Such types of chargers have grown in popularity lately given their ability to efficiently deliver power while bearing compact sizes. However, they can be quite pricey, like the $130 Ugreen DigiNest Pro or the $200 UGREEN Nexode 200W charger. oraimo has introduced similar chargers at a fraction of the cost. The models under review are the oraimo HyperGaN 120W Multi-Device Charger and the oraimo HyperGaN 65W Fast Charger.

oraimo HyperGaN 120W Charger

oraimo’s latest model is the $70 HyperGaN 120W Charger. It bears a similar look to a phone charger except that it features a total of 4 USB ports (three USB-C and one USB-A). The matte black finish with a sleek, textured finish adds a touch of classiness to the charger which I really appreciate.

120w 1.jpg 120w 2.jpg oraimo 2.jpg

To use the HyperGaN 120W Charger, you’ll have to order one with a compatible plug based on your location (or use an adapter). Here I wish oraimo included swappable plugs which some chargers come packed with, and it can be quite convenient for travelling to different regions, without needing a separate adapter.

Indeed, this charger is very convenient for travelling purposes as it acts like an all-in-one power source for up to four devices. It’s also well suited if you wish to declutter your work station and will only need one charger to plug your main devices into. These range from MacBooks to smartphones to earpods.

120w 3.jpg

Plugging in multiple devices will distribute the power and the charger has an “Intelligent Power Allocation”. For example, plugging in a 16” MacBook Pro can charge it in less than 2 hours or it can charge two 13” MacBook Pros at a time.

120w use.jpg

While its power allocation system is said to ensure optimal charging performance for each device, oraimo is not clear about how this is distributed. For example, plugging in a Xiaomi phone with the impressively fast 120W charging is supported if no other power-hungry devices are connected. Otherwise, the output will drop, and you don’t have control over that except to choose which devices to plug in.

As it was designed to guard against overheating and short-circuit issues, you can safely use your devices with it. I haven’t encountered any issues with it myself and really find it convenient to bring on travels. I plug in my phone, tablet and smartwatch Sure, it is a bit heavier than most chargers but it replaces other chargers altogether and requires only cables.

oraimo HyperGaN 65W Charger

Next up, we have the $40 oraimo HyperGaN 65W Charger. It bears a very similar classy finish and build quality to the 120W charger, and also protects against overheating and short circuit. The main differences are that it is considerably lighter and bears one less USB-C port.

65w 4.jpg

65w 1.jpg 65w 2.jpg 65w 3.jpg

As it outputs less power, it might not be appropriate for more power-hungry devices. However, it can still charge devices like the 13” MacBook Pro and supports PPS, PD, and QC charging compatibility. Like the former model, it also features an “Intelligent Power Allocation” for the simultaneous charging of multiple devices. I’ve used it to charge my tablet, Switch and earbuds while traveling without any issues.

65w use.jpg

However, like the 120W charger, this 65W model does not come with any charging cables. I wish oraimo (as well as other companies) would include at least one cable in their charger packages. oraimo does sell braided cables which are of good quality but that will come at an extra cost ($16 for the 10ft/3m fast charging model).

cable.jpg

That said, the HyperGaN chargers in oraimo’s catalogue are already being sold at a competitive price. They bear quality build and provide a number ports for the simultaneous charging of multiple devices, while offering peace of mind with protection against overheating and short circuit. It’s worth considering if you’re looking for such chargers as these do offer quite the bang for your buck.

Product links

Interested in these oraimo GaN chargers and accessories? You can head to the official Amazon product pages below and use the following codes for a special discount:

1. Oraimo 65W USB C Charger
  • Amazon link
  • Code:AZQB8PEB
  • Discount:15% off
  • End Date:2023/8/31

2. Oraimo 120W USB C Charger
  • Amazon link
  • Code:CS5TGAYE
  • Fixed price $28 code
  • End Date:2023/8/31

3. Product name:Oraimo USB C Charging Cable 100 W

Amazon link

UPDATE:

Oraimo has a Black Friday sale that is offering 50% off the Oraimo 65W USB C GaN Charger Ultra-Compact.

Visit the official store page and use the code provided below to make use of this offer.

Oraimo 65W USB C GaN Charger Ultra-Compact product page
List price: 29.99 USD
Deal price: 15 USD (code+coupon)
Code: EZEUTM4E
End time: 12/03/2023 11:59 PM PST

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get they need the space for the hardware, but I just dislike these fat chargers. UGREEN made 65w chargers very sleek and portable.

By the way, the Euro extensions are a bit of an annoyance if you have to use them because they're designed to plug in diagonally.

Example:

power-strip-with-electrical-cable-covered-in-neutral-natural-linen-fabric-rn01-and-schuko-plug-with-confort-ring.jpg

Imagine you plug a fat plug and then the next one you can't use even if it's thin (and too close). Stupid design flaw.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Euro/Schuko plugs. 😆

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waste of space paid ad for garbage content. please dont become like ign and say no to these paid ads and stay focued on gaming content which is what gbatemp is good at.
I'd like to know if a product can risk catching my electronics on fire and burns my home down. Thanks for letting me know not to get these @Prans

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to know if a product can risk catching my electronics on fire and burns my home down. Thanks for letting me know not to get these @Prans
Given you do your research and it's a respectable brand, such thing should not happen. I've got plenty of chargers, cables, and whatever and it never caught on fire.

But, be careful with voltage as to not burn a socket from an extension. Same goes for not using the wrong voltage with a tablet/laptop as it could burn/damage it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I get they need the space for the hardware, but I just dislike these fat chargers. UGREEN made 65w chargers very sleek and portable.

By the way, the Euro extensions are a bit of an annoyance if you have to use them because they're designed to plug in diagonally.

Example:

power-strip-with-electrical-cable-covered-in-neutral-natural-linen-fabric-rn01-and-schuko-plug-with-confort-ring.jpg

Imagine you plug a fat plug and then the next one you can't use even if it's thin (and too close). Stupid design flaw.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Euro/Schuko plugs. 😆
There are EU power strips of all varieties, including ones with the sockets at a 90 degree angle, even those will have the ports next to it blocked if you plug in a fat power brick, and I am sure this is true for most other plug types too, there is just no space between the sockets. The UK plug is the only one that doesn't, because the plugs are a lot fatter so extension cords are designed with more spacing between the plugs.

There are power strips like these (I have 4 of these), designed for fat power bricks, which allow you to use all the sockets (which is pretty much never the case with normal power strips):
This particular model is the APC SurgeArrest Performance (they are a little pricy due to the surge protection and included lifetime guarantee up to 50000 EUR on connected devices)
vt.jpg

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why am I getting online ads about general electronics on GBATemp's front page, and why am I able to reply to them?
And sometimes I wonder why companies even bother. Most of these don't even get any engagement at all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: speaking of roasted nuts, do you guys prefer your peanuts salted or honey roasted?