New iPod Touch model released

WYv5Lw8.jpg
The 6th generation of the iPod Touch has been released.

It features much improved components compared to its predecessor. It uses the A8 chip, the same chip as the one found in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, though it is clocked down slightly due to battery constraints. it features a new M8 motion processor including features like enhanced gyro sensors and a pedometer. It has a 4 inch retina display (same size as the iPhone 5 and 5s). It runs on 64-bit architecture. The rear facing camera is now the same one as the iPhone 6, which has 8 megapixels and features burst mode, 120FPS slo-mo, cinematic video stabilization, and more.

The 16 GB model starts at $199, the 32 GB model is $249, the 64 GB model is $299, and a brand new 128 GB model is $399. It comes in one of seven colors.

This is a very significant upgrade and the high-storage model is a good choice for music fanatics. The device certainly has some good specs to go with it. I guess the iPod Touch wasn't abandoned after all.

:arrow:Source

Last edited by endoverend,
Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Say what you like, but Apple's engineering skill and quality is in most cases way beyond the competition. I've got my laptop running without any kind of slowdown after 5 years. How many of us can say the same with Windows (without dishing extra for OS upgrades)? While I agree that many of the iOS/Apple devices are overpriced even though I could easily afford buying them, I do understand why someone would buy them, especially if their employer pays for the stuff.

Buuuut... off to the actual topic. As many have said, the iPod Touch is a gimped iPhone nowadays, but I could see some uses for it in places like cars, especially without bluetooth, but with AUX connections. You could leave the device in the car and have modern multimedia support (or then again this is just here in Finland, where the average age of a car is nearing 11 years or even above). That said, the same features can be had for far cheaper.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I consider the iPod Touch an option mostly for music. Recently, I purchased a used 120GB iPod Classic because I wanted to have a majority of my music library on the go. The iPod Touch offers this same option nowadays with up to date music player options and Bluetooth (holy hell did it dawn on me how much I use it when my Classic didn't even have the feature).

As others have said in this thread, the experience is admittedly something that stands out from competitors. I did lots of research before purchasing my iPod Classic and there really wasn't anything that really came close to it in terms of all around convenience. In terms of storage, Android devices with external storage are technically up to par and even surpass it with flash storage, but audio quality and dependability leave something to be desired. I've found it a little sad that the audio output quality on the Classic outperformed the one on my One Plus One for example. Admittedly, there are EQ apps that can remedy the situation, but in my experience, DSP managers on Android have been somewhat hit and miss with the audio mods inexplicably not working sometimes. I've been hard-pressed to find dedicated music players that bring the best audio quality coupled with a good user experience, which i-devices excel at. The Sony Walkman is perhaps the best rival in this regard, but don't even get me started on it's price. Between the Walkman and an iPod Touch, the Apple devices wins hands down in two very crucial categories; it runs an up to date OS (iOS 8 vs Android 2.2) and is better-priced.

Moving on, iTunes and i-devices' compatibility with each other is one of the few things I think Apple can still be proud of these days; syncing media has never been easier on any other platform, in my experience. Part of the reason is thanks to the way iTunes indexes your music, making it easy to browse and also access the files directly if needed for Android (but you're missing out on automatic sync and other features this way). It's such a breeze to add songs to my iPod by just adding them to a playlist any time before I want to sync it, plug the iPod in and let the magic happen.

In conclusion, the only pro IMO to going away from Apple for music is expandable storage. But if you're looking to get a device that has expandable storage, a good user experience and good audio quality, be prepared to shell out just as much as, if not more than, an iPod Touch.

---

Regarding the argument of going all out on an Android phone and using it for everything to save from carrying two devices, battery life becomes a major issue. I think that having a phone for just that and another devices for all your multimedia/Internet needs is ideal. With data, how much do you really use the "phone" components of your smartphone? Text-messaging is almost obsolete and there isn't really any essential interaction between the actual phone component of the modern smartphone and apps.

EDIT: Just as an example, I recently accidentally got myself in this exact situation with two phone plans (one with just talk and text and the other with unlimited data) and it has actually been great. Ironically, I've been using my One Plus One for all the features I said I'd use an iPod Touch for and an iPhone 4 as just a phone (mainly because I made myself essentially go broke on buying camera stuff), but I think my point about what to use devices for still stands.
Sound quality is debatable, yes I had a ipod 4 before and the sound quality and volume was amazing.
But now I have a xperia z with sonys Xloud technology I rather the Xloud

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said in this thread, the experience is admittedly something that stands out from competitors. I did lots of research before purchasing my iPod Classic and there really wasn't anything that really came close to it in terms of all around convenience. In terms of storage, Android devices with external storage are technically up to par and even surpass it with flash storage, but audio quality and dependability leave something to be desired. I've found it a little sad that the audio output quality on the Classic outperformed the one on my One Plus One for example. Admittedly, there are EQ apps that can remedy the situation, but in my experience, DSP managers on Android have been somewhat hit and miss with the audio mods inexplicably not working sometimes. I've been hard-pressed to find dedicated music players that bring the best audio quality coupled with a good user experience, which i-devices excel at.

Moving on, iTunes and i-devices' compatibility with each other is one of the few things I think Apple can still be proud of these days; syncing media has never been easier on any other platform, in my experience. Part of the reason is thanks to the way iTunes indexes your music, making it easy to browse and also access the files directly if needed for Android (but you're missing out on automatic sync and other features this way). It's such a breeze to add songs to my iPod by just adding them to a playlist any time before I want to sync it, plug the iPod in and let the magic happen.
http://powerampapp.com/
The only music player you need

I actually hate required software transferring, Ive used a bit of apps over the years over different players
my 1st being a Rio Cali - had its own software, it converted it into its own format, was subject to crashes and generally software ui wasnt that great
2nd being Zune (1st Gen) - it was ok, I did like it had the option of putting proper id3 tags and album art on my mp3, but file support wasnt great, it was also pretty laggy
3rd Ipod Touch (2nd Gen) - itunes was by far the worst out of all the apps, it would either lag like hell, crash, report random error's when trying to connect the ipod, and just other things that just made the whole experience terrible, and it took up a ton of room on hdd storing converted songs and so forth for whatever reason

now I just have a Galaxy S3 with a 64GB msd with simple softwareless drag and drop, no need to convert anything to priority formats, no nagging, its just works.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden

That app looks like it were designed back in 2008.
Also Groove Music is not only nicer looking, free, works way better and comes pre-installed with Windows 10 (I use it servefal times a day on both my Surface and Lumia) :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Say what you like, but Apple's engineering skill and quality is in most cases way beyond the competition. I've got my laptop running without any kind of slowdown after 5 years. How many of us can say the same with Windows (without dishing extra for OS upgrades)? While I agree that many of the iOS/Apple devices are overpriced even though I could easily afford buying them, I do understand why someone would buy them, especially if their employer pays for the stuff.
Since when is Microsoft charging for OS "upgrades"? It is true that they have different versions of their OS, but that's their strength, not weakness. Apple's strategy in design is "one size fits all" - that's how they design iPhones, that's how they design iPods, that's how they design Macs and that's how they designed their two OS'es. There's a saying where I come from, roughly translated it goes as follows: "if something's good for everything, then it's good for nothing". A typical home user doesn't require an OS with Hyper-V or server functionality of the Pro edition or the multiple licensing schemes of the Enterprise edition - those systems have their own outlets. You're also picking the wrong time to impune Microsoft for "asking for money for upgrades" when Windows Update is free of charge and their next operating system, Windows 10, can be literally upgraded to for free for the majority of current Windows users. The only "paid add-on" I can think of on the spot is Windows Media Center, and that's quickly going out of style. It's also not a great time to complain about different editions of the system since their number has been severely cut down - there's only 5 editions right now: standard Windows 8.1, Pro for power users, Enterprise for corporate clients, RT for mobile devices and Emerging Markets edition which none of you probably ever heard of since, as the name suggests, it's only available in a few less developed countries.

EDIT: I'm not even going to count Windows Embedded into the mix since that's not a consumer OS and never has been.

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I actually hate required software transferring, Ive used a bit of apps over the years over different players
my 1st being a Rio Cali - had its own software, it converted it into its own format, was subject to crashes and generally software ui wasnt that great
2nd being Zune (1st Gen) - it was ok, I did like it had the option of putting proper id3 tags and album art on my mp3, but file support wasnt great, it was also pretty laggy
3rd Ipod Touch (2nd Gen) - itunes was by far the worst out of all the apps, it would either lag like hell, crash, report random error's when trying to connect the ipod, and just other things that just made the whole experience terrible, and it took up a ton of room on hdd storing converted songs and so forth for whatever reason

now I just have a Galaxy S3 with a 64GB msd with simple softwareless drag and drop, no need to convert anything to priority formats, no nagging, its just works.

I tried Poweramp a while back and didn't like it too much if I remember correctly. Granted, it looks way different now, so I might have to give it another try. Thanks!

I generally don't like required software either, but in my experience, iTunes has worked much more reliably that simple drag and drop (especially when it comes to thousands of songs per file transfer). I guess the quality of the experience is pretty subjective.

Last edited by roastable,

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a 5th gen iPod Touch back in 2013. That thing suffered more drops and never cracked unlike a old iPhone 5 did. I used it for music, gaming and fb. I may consider picking up the 32GB for music at work to save mercy on my phone battery.

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it's been corrected yet but there is an error in the prices on this article. The 32GB model is only $249.99 and the 64GB model is $299.99. The rest is accurate though.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! Another iDevice for iFans to buy to replace their less than one year old devices with! It seems like more of the same with slightly better specs for things most people won't need them for. Maybe next time around they will release one with more hard buttons.

I've seen all the rants against iDevices but I need to add my own...

1. No external storage.
2. No removable battery (some Android devices do this too and they are no less dumb in this aspect).
3. Poor interface with only 3 buttons that make you have to double click or hold to get more functionality that doesn't even let you do everything you should be able to do (Read: Menu button and back button).
4. No way to sort your files of downloaded content. It all just goes into a clusterf*** folder.
5. iTunes forces you to convert to AAC, MP4 when transferring content.
6. Must use 3rd party players to play content from your clusterf*** folder.

Now for the dev side of things (non-jailbroken):
1. You must use Xcode to program apps or another method that costs $$$
2. You need a Mac/Hackintosh that can handle the latest OSX
3. You need to set your device as a dev unit
4. You need to submit apps to share them

I think the 'sounding better' argument doesn't stand up against all Android devices.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here with my 1G iPod touch i got in 2007. Though it may be time for an upgrade i guess, headphone port is beginning to have issues and it has problems charging.

Doubt I'll be picking up a 6G, why would I spend hundreds just for a music/podcast player when I can pick up an old android device that does more.

Trophies
XP
Country
I pretty sure there is still market for these devices because of audio quality, iphones and ipod touches have cirrus audio chips in them, not sure about 6th gen touch but the only android alternative is the sony xperia. There's just far few androids on the market that offer good sound. I might've considered buying an ipod touch if it wasn't for apples suffocating ecosystem.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 6 plus and an older touch5 (one without the camera on the back) and I use my touch while I'm at work as my phone may get damaged when I lift washing machines etc, although the I won't get the touch6 they do have their uses! I love the gold colour too!

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Considering getting one. I like having an ipod on the side so that I don't drain my nexus 5 listening to music. Also helpful so that music is on one thing, to free space on my phone. Still considering atm though.

Any idea if the product red version will be released?

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering getting one. I like having an ipod on the side so that I don't drain my nexus 5 listening to music. Also helpful so that music is on one thing, to free space on my phone. Still considering atm though.

Any idea if the product red version will be released?
Yes, there is Product Red available. I'm considering either that or blue.

Reactions: 2Hack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then...