Hardware New Faster Lighter 3DS Console Announced

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
A company enticing users to buy products?! What is this heresy?!

I believe you disagree just to disagree... I can't possibly imagine that you are so ignorant of how the video gaming industry operates...

A console is not an open computing device like a pc or tablet. It is a walled garden, getting only whatever content its maker allows and whatever uses he allows. You don't buy the hardware, you buy THE SERVICE.

The reason customers put up with this crap, instead of getting pcs or android tablets, is because by getting a dedicated console you are buying some years of support for it. You are buying access to content, not the hardware per se... Not to mention overpriced content, since buying console games has a price premium too...

Now, this is an acceptable value for the customer if a console lasts at least 5-6 years. But when a console lasts only 3, this is a rip off, plain and simple.

I can understand that you may be rich or getting consoles and games for free, but for us normal folk who don't believe gaming should cost that much, it is a big deal. I can buy 10 new 3dses at launch if i want to, but this doesn't mean this isn't a scam...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If this is upsetting people, I can't wait to see their faces when the next Nintendo home console drops Wii and Wii U compatibility, because let's face it, it probably will. :rofl2:

As for the allegations of me being rich, I must disappoint - I'm not. You don't buy a service, you buy hardware and you never have any guarantee that it will be supported for a decade, see: Virtual Boy.

All that is of course completely besides the point as the old 3DS is not being discontinued, the new one is merely getting some exclusive titles to entice customers to upgrade.

THE OLD 3DS WILL STILL GET GAMES. SNAP OUT OF IT, PEOPLE.

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is upsetting people, I can't wait to see their faces when the next Nintendo home console drops Wii and Wii U compatibility, because let's face it, it probably will. :rofl2:

You don't seem to understand the issue here.

The Wii came out in 2006. The Wii U came out in 2012. That means the Wii was supported as the "main console" for about 6 years.
The DS came out in 2004. The 3DS came out in 2011. That means the DS was supported as the "main console" for about 7 years.

The 3DS came out in 2011. The New 3DS comes out in 2015. That means the 3DS was supported as the "main console" for 4 years.

Seeing the problem? When I purchase a product, I expect it to be the "center of attention" for a certain amount of time. When the product is the "center of attention", it is given the fullest support possible and receives all of the company's "top tier" games. Now, when the console is no longer the newest out there, it starts to get largely ignored. For example, look at the DS releases we've had while the 3DS is around. See any top tier Nintendo games on it? I didn't think so.

TL;DR: The 3DS is likely to lose Nintendo's "fullest support" and be treated like how the DS currently is. The issue here is that this happened in a mere 4 years, instead of the usual 6-8 we typically see of a console's cycle.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just read the thread (starting at the end and going backwards because it is better that way), some seriously nice whine there. Many thanks to the whinemakers.

Anyway I was ignoring the 3ds until it got some games and/or some hacks worth considering. I guess I now have to consider more things.

I wonder if this will be a GBC style upgrade or a DSi style upgrade in the end.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, I don't see the problem because the DSi *did* get exclusive software in the form of a few cart-based games, a slew of DSiWare and a massive amount of DSiEnhanced games and the New 3DS will likely follow the same path. It's literally the same deal - some exclusive software to get people to upgrade. The only reason why you're upset is the fact that you want one of said exclusives and you can't break out of your own thought bubble, thinking that the 3DS will be discontinued despite the massive install base and the fact that it's the only thing keeping Nintendo afloat right now. And I'm supposed to be the one out of touch. C'mon.

Reactions: NEP

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, I don't see the problem because the DSi *did* get exclusive software in the form of a few cart-based games, a slew of DSiWare and a massive amount of DSiEnhanced games and the New 3DS will likely follow the same path. It's literally the same deal - some exclusive software to get people to upgrade. The only reason why you're upset is the fact that you want one of said exclusives and you can't break out of your own thought bubble, thinking that the 3DS will be discontinued despite the massive install base and the fact that it's the only thing keeping Nintendo afloat right now. And I'm supposed to be the one out of touch. C'mon.

Out of curiosity what were these cart-based DSi Exclusives? I've never heard of them o.O

Reactions: TemplarGR

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually don't want Xenoblade, since I already own a copy for my Wii. I am, however, quite concerned that my current 3DS may lose compatibility with newer games that simply could have been "toned down" a bit to run on it.

Regardless, I do hope that you're right in saying the 3DS won't be "discontinued". I would have zero issues with the New 3DS if I was assured that the current 3DS will be fully supported and not miss out on any "core" games. If the only exclusive content the New 3DS gets is things like Wii/Wii U ports, I won't be worried in the slightest.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm hoping games will have a "new" 3DS enhancement rather than solely being just compatible on the new console. Harness the speed improvements, better gaming quality and control system, but also make the game playable on the original console. (Let's face it, besides the "specs boost" and screen, the new 3DS is nearly identical to the original with a built in circle pad pro and NFC.)

According to the Japanese website, the original consoles are still up for sale without any *discontinuing* status. This could change, or they can lower the price of the original consoles.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Out of curiosity what were these cart-based DSi Exclusives? I've never heard of them o.O
There wasn't much of it - System Flaw, Foto Showdown, some Hair Salon crap - possibly more in Japan.
I actually don't want Xenoblade, since I already own a copy for my Wii. I am, however, quite concerned that my current 3DS may lose compatibility with newer games that simply could have been "toned down" a bit to run on it.

Regardless, I do hope that you're right in saying the 3DS won't be "discontinued". I would have zero issues with the New 3DS if I was assured that the current 3DS will be fully supported and not miss out on any "core" games. If the only exclusive content the New 3DS gets is things like Wii/Wii U ports, I won't be worried in the slightest.
I hope for the opposite - if they want this upgrade to sell, they need to offer content that will sell it, unlike with the DSi (see above) to which I never upgraded because the exclusives were poor and I didn't care for them. That said, they need to support the millions-strong install base of the 3DS at the same time, so I expect New3DS-Enhanced games that will work on both systems. It has to be a delicate balance between supporting fans and stimulating migration to the new, upgraded system. Difficult, but not impossible.

I hope you get my point better now - I don't want Nintendo to drop the 3DS, that would be insane, literally cutting the branch they're sitting on. I don't want them to squander the opportunity to improve their games though, I want them to fully utilize the upgraded hardware.

I think a Pokemon game would be ideal here - one for each system, like it was the case with Mystery Dungeon, I believe. Both playable, of course, but one with vast improvements thanks to higher specs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...