Hardware New Faster Lighter 3DS Console Announced

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, is it Micro SD only or can normal SD cards be inserted? I have a 64GB card for my current 3DS XL , really don't wanna have to pay for yet another SD card.
It makes no sense at all to make it "normal SD" compatible. That would beat the purpose of the micro sd in the first place, since you could always use micro to normal sd adaptors with the existing consoles...

So, you should buy another micro sd card...

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
A big part of me is ticked about this, because having the second analog there and the extra buttons would mean I could have actually given games like MGS 3D and Kingdom hearts a chance.

Even so, until these models are hacked, I'm not giving up my XL.

I wouldn't bother with MGS 3D. The visual upgrade is nice, but the frame rate is just god awful to the point of being unplayable, at least for me.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If patches allowing the games to utilize the superior specs of the system come out - sure. If not, no. Future games will probably utilize the better specs though.

But do they really need patches for older games to utilize the improved CPU/GPU? It was understandable for DS/DSi games because of the tie to the refresh rate and other timings of the hardware, but is that the case with the 3DS/n3DS?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People are already complaining because the new 3DS received a port of a Wii game that sold poorly,
I imagine what would it be if Nintendo said they would make Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire exclusively for it and delayed it until mid 2015.
I think GBATemp would colapse with people raging but for the game and the experience it would offer I think it would be quite good.
Pokemon XY suffered from terrible slowdowns, sometimes even without 3D enabled. It also wasn't able to render 3D in most of the game.
Making it with more RAM and a faster CPU in mind could result in a far better experience and fix most, if not all, the problems with XY.
It would also be a good reason for tons of consumers to migrate to the new system.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But do they really need patches for older games to utilize the improved CPU/GPU? It was understandable for DS/DSi games because of the tie to the refresh rate and other timings of the hardware, but is that the case with the 3DS/n3DS?
In cases of extreme slow-down, for instance in MGS3D and Pokemon X/Y, it makes sense, although we probably won't see patches of this nature. It does give hope for new games though, which is always a plus.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just saw on another page that the XL-version of the New 3DS doesn't have the coloured ABXY-buttons :( awww I wanted those! Haha

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just saw on another page that the XL-version of the New 3DS doesn't have the coloured ABXY-buttons :( awww I wanted those! Haha
I also don't understand why that's the case. I think they're trying to market the XL as a "play-at-home" edition while the standard N3DS is for those who like to game on the move (hence it's more stylish), but the coloured buttons are so recognizable that I think they should implement them in both models.

Reactions: Issac

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You wont, you find out quickly the 3d is just a gimmick and uneeded as well as being a huge waste of battery life

I will see if I like for myself, but even if the 3D didn't exist I wouldn't care, it's still gonna be a day 1 purchase for me.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I also don't understand why that's the case. I think they're trying to market the XL as a "play-at-home" edition while the standard N3DS is for those who like to game on the move (hence it's more stylish), but the coloured buttons are so recognizable that I think they should implement them in both models.

Or maybe they think the XL is for older people, with a more stylish and clean theme (different takes on stylish!), and the standard is for kids and has coloured buttons and exchangable skins... Either way, I want those coloured buttons bad, thought that was an awesome idea! :P

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I hear the New XL is 7 grams lighter and has better battery life than the old XL.

Now I'm wondering.. Should I buy one and remove the top screen? I mean, I don't have much use for the c-stick and better 3D, but if its lighter and has superior battery life, that makes it the strictly superior version to go top-screen-less with.

Although I have to wonder how much of that 7 grams is from the top screen and not the bottom. Its theoretically possible that the bottom half is actually heavier while the top half is lighter, and the net different is 7 grams. (although unlikely)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well I hear the New XL is 7 grams lighter and has better battery life than the old XL.

Now I'm wondering.. Should I buy one and remove the top screen? I mean, I don't have much use for the c-stick and better 3D, but if its lighter and has superior battery life, that makes it the strictly superior version to go top-screen-less with.

Although I have to wonder how much of that 7 grams is from the top screen and not the bottom. Its theoretically possible that the bottom half is actually heavier while the top half is lighter, and the net different is 7 grams. (although unlikely)
Going "top screen-less" is still a silly idea, just like last time. ;)

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DS Lite Cracked >> DSi announced.

Sudoxkuhax released. Acekard 2i made >> DSi XL (with newest FW)

3DS hacked with DS-Mode Flashcarts like AceKard >> 3DS XL released which most had update that killed 95% of DS carts.

3DS XL hacked with 3DS mode blown open with Gateway. Sspawn announced and release imminent which will take the 3DS homebrew (and maybe piracy) scene to a new level >> "New" 3DS which will most likely lock out Gateway and all other exploits and could have more aggressive update policies.

I'm beginning to notice a pattern here....

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but something occurred to me about these models today that I initially hadn't thought of. The 3DS has a built in gyroscope, many games make use of this in how you can point and turn your 3DS as if it were a steering wheel (MK7) or a camera (OOT3D), among other things. Its nice, but if you ever try to utilize this feature with the 3D on, the 3D effect became blurry because of the angle that the 3DS was tilted at (unless you turned the 3D off). Well now,this probably wont be a problem with the new models and how they're able to give off the 3D effect even if you've moved it due to an improvement in the technology that utilizes the gyroscope (well you alreayd know that part). But I think this is cool, I loved playing OOT3D, but it was always annoying to use weapons that could make use of where I pointed the 3DS, not annoying because of this process, I actually really like how well this works, it was just annoying howt he 3D effect would always get all messed up anytime I was in that kind of situation. So now, if we do get a Majora's Mask 3D, they can keep that aiming functunality if you like, and you'll be able to enjoy it without havin to turn off the 3D effect (or even having to live with a blurry hard to see picture when you make the movements).

Just one more thing that really makes me love this new model of 3DS/XL all the more.

Reactions: Nightwish

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Kind of off topic, but... What exactly do you use your single-screen 3DS for, again? How many games that you like don't require it?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-
Kind of off topic, but... What exactly do you use your single-screen 3DS for, again? How many games that you like don't require it?

Yeah, what good is just the bottom screen of a 3DS for anyway? Now with a DS/DSlite, I could understand the idea, you could make yourself a new special version of the GBA. But with the 3DS there is no GBA slot, and none of the VC titles allow for you to post the game on the bottom screen (its always on top). So I'd have to think you'd be really limited with the games you'd be able to play on there (unless I suppose you're using a flashcart, and then using emulators only on the bottom of the screen, but even that doesn't seem worth it).

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
People are already complaining because the new 3DS received a port of a Wii game that sold poorly,
I imagine what would it be if Nintendo said they would make Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire exclusively for it and delayed it until mid 2015.
I think GBATemp would colapse with people raging but for the game and the experience it would offer I think it would be quite good.
Pokemon XY suffered from terrible slowdowns, sometimes even without 3D enabled. It also wasn't able to render 3D in most of the game.
Making it with more RAM and a faster CPU in mind could result in a far better experience and fix most, if not all, the problems with XY.
It would also be a good reason for tons of consumers to migrate to the new system.

If Code Freak can't code Pokemon X and Y efficiently to run without problems on a barely 2 year old console, then the solution is not to buy new hardware.... It is a software problem, not a hardware one...

If consoles start having 4 year life cycles and less, then there is absolutely no reason to buy them instead of PCs and Tablets... It is not worth it... The main argument of dedicated consoles is that the hardware gets support for many years...

Reactions: Nightwish

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If Code Freak can't code Pokemon X and Y efficiently to run without problems on a barely 2 year old console, then the solution is not to buy new hardware.... It is a software problem, not a hardware one...

If consoles start having 4 year life cycles and less, then there is absolutely no reason to buy them instead of PCs and Tablets... It is not worth it... The main argument of dedicated consoles is that the hardware gets support for many years...
The main argument for buying consoles is their convenience, not longevity. You don't have to bother with specs differences, drivers, convoluted setups, graphics preferences etc. - you buy a game for your system and it "just works", that's the "console advantage".

That's besides the point though - you have to take into account the fact that Nintendo has a long-term strategy of using "tried and true" components in their handhelds which leads to releasing hardware on the "low-end" side of the specs spectrum. There's only so much you can do on weak hardware and it's not always a software problem as you claim.

Yes, their handhelds used to have much longer life cycles, (the original Game Boy can be an example here), but today mobile tech moves forwards at a much, much faster rate - faster than ever, in fact. Within a few years we went from single-core sub-1GHz mobile CPU's to octacore ones nearing 2GHz with embedded GPU's - it's hard to keep up in this race.

That, and the 3DS isn't going anywhere. It's not being phased out, we've established that already.

Reactions: NEP and Xabring

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: