Not open for further replies.

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if those numbers are really interpreted as RRRXXXXXXXX Y where Y is part of the unique serial number.. then it would mean 4mil N3DS have been produced. Sales projections for japan at the end of this year are 1.4mil units... I highly doubt they've really shipped 4mil units...
Leaving out that Y part at the end makes the amount of new 3ds pre-9.0 firmware around 400.000, which seems reasonable... looking at the sales numbers, approx 45~460000 units have been sold to date. this is in line with the serials we are seeing (10460000+) however, it would also mean both models would have to share the same range of serial number, since roughly 1/3 of all units sold is a regular n3ds, and there would be no way to get serials this high up otherwise.
1. Nintendo's figures account for units sold to consumers, not produced total. Regardless of how many sell, Nintendo needs to keep stores stocked.
2. I think we already knew that about the serial. The last digit is simply a check digit, hence why it's separate from the rest. Around half way through the SNES, Nintendo started using these.
The first unit off the line would have the serial: QJF10000001 6. (Obviously, the letters would vary with the model.)

Edit: And you are probably right about the serials sharing the same range regardless of model. :P

Edit 2:
Just got my N3DS LL Metallic Blue. It's come with fw 9.1.0-20J.

My friend's relative bought this for me in Japan last weekend. I'm not sure if they bought it at Amazon or at retail store though.

Serial: QJF1039

Wow, thanks a lot for that submission! That greatly narrows down when Nintendo swapped to 9.1.0!
If you look at the spreadsheet now, if you also include the Metallic Black serials, Nintendo started shipping with 9.1.0 in the late QJF10380000's to QJF10390000's.

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may want to edit the QJH1048 on the database. Must've been sleepy at the time since its actually QJF1048 xD

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Based on the 4.1-4.5 time table, it seems games need 3-6 months after the release of a firmware to have included said firmware, so 9.x carts shouldn't start showing up in retail games until at least January. Presumably.

Given the relatively large span of the 9.0-9.2 updates, it's improbable that Nintendo would have all these carts destroyed, as I'm sure countless units are already in production.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy one. At most I'll have to wait a month or two and import a weeb game :moogle: Better than waiting for N3DS prices to skyrocket once 9.3 installed hits

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
*snip*
Wow, thanks a lot for that submission! That greatly narrows down when Nintendo swapped to 9.1.0!
If you look at the spreadsheet now, if you also include the Metallic Black serials, Nintendo started shipping with 9.1.0 in the late QJF10380000's to QJF10390000's.
always remember to allow for the fact some stores may of allowed someone to test a console, or staff use it to show people etc etc, one higher FW version doesn't necessarily mean they have started manufacturing 3DS LL's with 9.1 just yet......maybe if we see a few more shipping on 9.1 with similar serials we can probably safely say so then :P

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
always remember to allow for the fact some stores may of allowed someone to test a console, or staff use it to show people etc etc, one higher FW version doesn't necessarily mean they have started manufacturing 3DS LL's with 9.1 just yet......maybe if we see a few more shipping on 9.1 with similar serials we can probably safely say so then :P
Did you even look at the spreadsheet? >_>
We have several cases of 9.1.0 Japanese 3DS LLs. We know that they have started shipping with 9.1.0. The question wasn't if they are shipping with 9.1.0. The question was when did they start shipping with 9.1.0.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Did you even look at the spreadsheet? >_>
We have several cases of 9.1.0 Japanese 3DS LLs. We know that they have started shipping with 9.1.0. The question wasn't if they are shipping with 9.1.0. The question was when did they start shipping with 9.1.0.
ooooh sorry my eyes just seen the one in the metallic blue section :P

so yeah they where pretty quick on the updating to the newer FW.....i really wouldn't be hopeful for EU/US release having any 9.0-9.2 n3ds consoles in that case (except the AUS consoles that is)

Reactions: Friendsxix

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
new 3ds LL metalic blue AU , QAH1000236729
FW 9.0.0-20E
delivered on 12/8/14 from playasia

This sounds damn nice. Ordered my own one from playasia this week (when the 9.3 update was out for only a day, so I believe I'm still pretty save... right, guys???) But if it's AU, it's not called LL, but XL. Just wanted to point that out. :D

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friendsxix, do you mind changing the X's to x's? This will clarify that these digits are not the actual letters there, since conceivably X could appear in the initial letters.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I'd doubt a retailer would know anyway.

If you purchased a warranty (at least at best buy and some districts of gamestop) will print all but the last 4-6 digits/alphas on the receipt. Walmart used to have it printed the same way on the receipt regardless if you bought a warranty or not.

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friendsxix, do you mind changing the X's to x's? This will clarify that these digits are not the actual letters there, since conceivably X could appear in the initial letters.
But then those letters would be appearing after numbers, which should throw a red flag to the person submitting their serial. Any person stupid enough to make that mistake probably won't know how to read or write. And they'd make that mistake uppercase or not. I want them to be uppercase so they're the same size as the numbers. (OCD, lolo) :P

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello my friends! Got my JP N3DS LL Super Smash Brothers limited edition from Nippon Yasan! QJF1025 with 8.1 firmware!

sakura_candy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What about superufo then? Anyone ordered from them? I'm travelling in 1.5 week's time so nippon yasan would come too late for me.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got my N3DS XL today and wanted to share it with y'all. :D

New 3DS LL (Metallic Blue), QAH1003xxxx x, Version 9.0.0E

Ordered from Play-Asia and received in three days (damn, that FedEx delivery was fast and I didn't even have to pay Import VAT).

Reactions: Friendsxix

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my N3DS XL today too

New 3DS XL AUS PAL (Metallic Black), QAH1003xxxx x, Version 9.0.0-20E

Ordered from Play-Asia and arrived 2 days earlier than FedEx originally said it would.

**It's more of a charcoal grey than it is black. I'm kinda wishing I had ordered the Metallic Blue instead**

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got my N3DS XL today too

New 3DS XL AUS PAL (Metallic Black), QAH1003xxxx x, Version 9.0.0-20E

Ordered from Play-Asia and arrived 2 days earlier than FedEx originally said it would.

**It's more of a charcoal grey than it is black. I'm kinda wishing I had ordered the Metallic Blue instead**

Lol, mine should have arrived in two days, too. :D
And yes, Metallic Blue looks nice. Maybe I'll take a few hours and paint a Kyogre on it. :D

Reactions: DSlite2

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about superufo then? Anyone ordered from them? I'm travelling in 1.5 week's time so nippon yasan would come too late for me.
i would definitely go for nippon-yasan on that one, even though the 3ds ll is $10 more the fedex shipping is $21 less to the UK and i wouldn't trust anything but the most expensive shipping method if you need it in less than a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday