Hardware New 2DS XL Circle Pad broken off - any option to replace without opening the system?

alonzondavis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like a dumb ass, I tried to remove the rubber part of the new 2ds ll like how the old 3ds has that plastic part thats there when the rubber part is removed.

I then realized the circle pad for the New 2DS XL is made competely different, the rubber part is the actual game pad-no plastic circle undernath like the old 3ds.

I then though I could take the circle pad off the old 3ds and put on the new 2ds- and look how that went

I provided pics, the white pad is from old 3ds and gray and black pad from new 2ds xl.

Is there an option to put something on it to use as a replacement circle pad or such to make it usable again? I honestly dont mind the stubs but after trying to get the psp analog to work for the c stick on the new 2ds xl, i didnt realized the circle pad isnt the same way to replace it.

Oh well any ideas? Id hate to open them up and messup something else since I have no idea what im doing when it comes to these things.

Im sticking to my wii u, i know im not gonna mess that up heh.

Attachments

• IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 826
  • IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 803
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,908
Last edited by alonzondavis,

alonzondavis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, You will have to open up the system to replacement analog stick which you can buy from ebay.
Where can I find the proper circle pad for the new 2ds xl? I heard the 3ds ones are too large to fit in the 2ds xl, is that true? If so i want to make sure im buying the right one.

Im only fixing the 2ds xl, https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/New+Nintendo+2DS+XL+Circle+Pad+Replacement/98308
Since its easyer to fix than the original 3ds.

I buying the tools from that site too, is that actually works with the 2ds xl? The triware screwdriver I have for my wii doesnt fit in the 2ds xl screws amd i dont wanna strip them then I cant fix it.

Reactions: grcd

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Where can I find the proper circle pad for the new 2ds xl? I heard the 3ds ones are too large to fit in the 2ds xl, is that true? If so i want to make sure im buying the right one.

Im only fixing the 2ds xl, https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/New+Nintendo+2DS+XL+Circle+Pad+Replacement/98308
Since its easyer to fix than the original 3ds.

I buying the tools from that site too, is that actually works with the 2ds xl? The triware screwdriver I have for my wii doesnt fit in the 2ds xl screws amd i dont wanna strip them then I cant fix it.
If iFixit says the tools will work in that guide then they will work.
If you can't find 2DS XL sticks on eBay try AliExpress.

alonzondavis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If iFixit says the tools will work in that guide then they will work.
If you can't find 2DS XL sticks on eBay try AliExpress.
Could you post a link to one? I cant find any new 2ds xl circle pads on ebay, there are others but I though I cant use them because the 2ds xl uses a different kind of circle pad? Is that true?

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hardware wise they might be the same, but they changed the rubber bit on the circle pad at some point, it's slightly different now.
Thought it was the other way around, hardware changes but rubber stays the same.
Regardless pretty sure its compatible, so far every single rubber felt the same and looked the same.

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thought it was the other way around, hardware changes but rubber stays the same.
Regardless pretty sure its compatible, so far every single rubber felt the same and looked the same.
On the original 3DS, the rubber had a higher lip around it. The new ones are more flat and rounded on the edges.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the original 3DS, the rubber had a higher lip around it. The new ones are more flat and rounded on the edges.
The new ones also don't seem to handle sweat very well. Probably because of the newer (softer?) rubber.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is the metal 3ds circle pad any good? https://www.amazon.com/3DStick-Metal-Replacement-Circle-Compatible/dp/B072K1H2XD

Or should I stick to the original 3ds pad?
I'm sure it would be fine, but you can probably find a plastic one for a couple bucks and not have to worry about scratching the system up.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP, you so not need to buy a new analog component. The rubber stick cap, which is locked into place using a plastic piece and broke. The analog component should work if you move it around.

What you want is this "analog stick cap" replacement part:
AvFZQrn.jpg

The new 3DS XL/original and old 2DS uses this alongside the old 3DS XL. I don't know what the original 3DS model uses this part is the same across the aforementioned devices that I have repaired.

alonzondavis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP, you so not need to buy a new analog component. The rubber stick cap, which is locked into place using a plastic piece and broke. The analog component should work if you move it around.

What you want is this "analog stick cap" replacement part:

The new 3DS XL/original and old 2DS uses this alongside the old 3DS XL. I don't know what the original 3DS model uses this part is the same across the aforementioned devices that I have repaired.
This the piece I brought yesterday https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322115709866
I believe its the same one you have pictured there.

I dont get why they dont just have like a piece you could put on the existing analog stick instead of opening the system and completey replacing it.

Like how the c stick is a nub and can remove it to put a psp analog cap instead.

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by SirAileron,
Reactions: alonzondavis
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this thread is very old. But is it possible to replace the psp cap which i used for the c stick with the thumbstick? Or will it not fit it?
Circle Pad thumb cover seats too high and too wide to fit where the C-Stick is. You're better off using Lenovo super slim low profile TrackPoint nub if you don't like the PSP-1000 cap; read about those two here.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: What's his name? The coworker