Hacking Neimod making progress, nothing released

DanielJavierGuzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
It's probably just a save file hack. Either change the value in RAM on his highly modified 3DS, then save, or else use that 3DS to extract the save in decrypted form, edit it, then replace it and have the game re-encrypt it. Either that or he figured out save file decryption/encryption.
Oh, and by the way... did I mention this is with an unmodified 3DS? ;-)
So it is not the first option. Maybe he already knows how to [de]encrypt the save file.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
My bet? He played the game on his modded 3DS, injected certain values, saved the game, placed the game in an unmodified 3DS and presto! Oh, Neimod - you troll you! :P

Alternatively he did something godlike and actually found an exploit that gave him RAM access, but I'd put that in the realm of fairies for now.
Either that or he worked out the missing links for editing save files, I certainly wouldn't put it past him and his previous RAM hack could have helped a lot. If he's figured out some or all of the checksums, then editing some in game currency should be a piece of cake.

he is to the DSi/3ds scene as mathieulh is to the ps3 scene, lots of smoke and mirrors but no proof.
Except mathieulh sends people code and solutions that have no chance of even working wheras neimod is simply secretive. I find him genuine, just reluctant to share his findings with a wide crowd.
Yes, mathieulh was all smoke and mirrors. His actual contributions to the scene were mostly worthless, despite claiming to have had a big part in the original jailbreaking dongles. Neimod, on the other hand, is looking like the driving force behind 3DS hacking. He's not really being that secretive, he's added a lot to 3DBrew (though he has kept some stuff to himself). I just don't think the things he posts to flickr and github are meant for anyone but the friends in his hacking circle. It's kind of sad, really: if he never achieves the goal of blowing the 3DS wide open, he'll be labelled a troll by the people who don't really understand exactly how difficult things are and how irrelevant these things are compared to the big picture.

Even if this did turn out to be a modified save file, I think he deserves a lot of credit just for figuring that out.

It's probably just a save file hack. Either change the value in RAM on his highly modified 3DS, then save, or else use that 3DS to extract the save in decrypted form, edit it, then replace it and have the game re-encrypt it. Either that or he figured out save file decryption/encryption.
Lego Star Wars III is an old game, so decryption is already possible using the XOR key length vulnerability. Reversing the checksums would be needed to modify game saves, something that would be an even more impressive feat.

Reactions: 1 person

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think Sifjar is right, and he (certainly, let's keep it a supposition until he confirms it himself) found a way to edit saves.

Few users on gbatemp tried to decipher the CRC but they missed few areas. Maybe he found the missing algorithms.
Or he found another way to exploit save files without re-encrypting them (unlikely, but who knows. it worked like that for the Wii).

Reactions: 2 people

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, and by the way... did I mention this is with an unmodified 3DS? ;-)
So it is not the first option. Maybe i already know how to [de]encrypt the save file.
Sure, the picture is on an unmodified 3DS. Doesn't mean that a modified one wasn't used in the process of getting that save there. Considering it's neimod, I'd say it's quite possible he has figured out decryption/encryption of the game save. As mentioned above, it was an early game, so decryption is already known, reverse engineering the checksum probably wouldn't be too hard when you can decrypt code, as neimod can.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Interesting, so, basically, we can fake a save base on an existing save made before 2.2.0-4 ... I'd assume 2.2.0-4 was still able to accept the older encryption format in order to not just wipe out everyone's saved progress when they update so the trick on a newer system would be figuring out what the value to use to encrypt the file the old way so it would accept it, right?

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
This makes me miss the days of Tips & Tricks... This fucking anti-cheat generation has people resorting to hacking just to share saves

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He hex edited a save file and reuploaded it to the rom.
Everyone already has the tool to do this yea?
From what I can tell nothing special is going on here

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He hex edited a save file and re uploaded it to the rom.
  1. it a unmodified 3ds soo there no save extractor
  2. if he did the 3ds wud not accepted the modded save (unless he used a exploit to make it think it was unmodified)
he prob used his ram board and change some things on the card then put in back in

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
He hex edited a save file and re uploaded it to the rom.
  1. it a unmodified 3ds soo there no save extractor
  2. if he did the 3ds wud not accepted the modded save (unless he used a exploit to make it think it was unmodified)
he prob used his ram board and change some things on the card then put in back in
Do you even know what you're talking about?
The common R4i SaveDongle can backup and restore 3DS saves. Also, the 3DS does not check save integrity (except for the DSi-exploit games, from what I've heard).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It doesn't check integrity?

Few users tried to change save data and re-inject it to the card.
The game didn't accept it and said it was corrupted.

There are (multiple?) checks.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
can someone explain this to me?

Decrypted save files are already possible for everyonw with the XOR length vulnarity (which also can be used with LEGO star wars). Shouldn't is be quite easy then to edit the save files like neimod did?

p.s. I actually bought a save dongle tot test it with, i am expecting it this day

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When you decrypt the raw save using the XOR key, you get data in readable form.

That data contains different areas (the game information, progress, etc.) and a checksum from all these datas.
If you edit the game content, you need to also edit the checksum value, which is used to verify the savegame integrity, if it didn't get edited, or corrupted by a wrong save progress. then re-encrypt it using the same XOR key, and put it back on the cartridge.

The checksum algorithm wasn't known.
Writing back a save file without the correct checksum resulted in an error/savegame corrupted message.

Question:

The save file contains a full backup of the previous known woking save data, right? Doesn't it use the backup if the first one is corrupted?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_sJ79aDQTeQ?si=dCPYbyGhZ8OFK8nb