the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it was the 660ti that needs 2.
Easiest way to test is just plug one in on the 660, start pc, see if it starts, then do the same with the other plug. If both can deliver power fine then its not the wires.
We are not saying your brother broke the card or giving you a bad card on purpose, but something might have happened when transporting the card into your hands that caused it to break.

It's just...aggravating, you know? I was really looking forward to getting a new GPU, some kind of upgrade. Guess that's never gonna happen. And no, I don't have the stones or even dare want to rally support or start a GoFundMe or the like; there's not a chance in hell I can ever get achieve that, not at this rate. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it.

Take a breather, leave the PC alone for a day, walk it off or play a console game... whatever works for you. If you're getting this worked up and stressed, nothing productive will come from stressing further today.
You can always come back to this tomorrow, take things step by step, using pictures if you need to.
For what it's worth, if your brother was the one who set it up originally, then you can always try asking him for advice.
Also, it is possible for a perfectly functional card to stop working properly when put into a new system. I've seen 3 graphics cards (both AMD and nVidia) die in that way in recent years.

The thing is, I never had a single nVidia card fail on me, or in my possession, AMD cards, I've had fail on me, but I digress. Don't know what I'm gonna do at the moment.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for the double post, but I do have an update. So I was looking through the BIOS firmware versions, and came across a revision that increases compatibility with PCI-e devices. This makes me suspect that a BIOS update very well could get this newer video card to work

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LK/HelpDesk_Download/

Specifically:

P8Z77-V LK BIOS 1103
1. Enhance compatibility with some PCIE devices.
2. Revise help strings in BIOS.
3 .Support new CPUs.

Obviously, I would want to go with the most recent one, released on 5/7/2014, as there haven't been firmware updates in some time.
The current BIOS firmware is set at 0908. I've been watching videos on YouTube for this motherboard, the Asus P8Z77-V LK and it seems
super straightforward. But I can't help but still feel wary and nervous at flashing the BIOS despite the ease of use, and the fact it will
reset the settings and boot order :P

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously, I would want to go with the most recent one, released on 5/7/2014, as there haven't been firmware updates in some time.
The current BIOS firmware is set at 0908. I've been watching videos on YouTube for this motherboard, the Asus P8Z77-V LK and it seems
super straightforward. But I can't help but still feel wary and nervous at flashing the BIOS despite the ease of use, and the fact it will
reset the settings and boot order :P

Asus bios flash is pretty stable, but that board as far as I can tell, doesn't have any recovery options (dual bios, flashback etc), that let you recover if it went wrong, so it does carry a small risk.

It does however, as far as I can tell, have a socketed bios chip. So if it all went horribly wrong, you can just buy a pre-flashed chip, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIOS-Chip-ASUS-P8Z77-V-LK-/380455692010, and bring it back to life that way.

I'd just go for it. Only bios flash I dislike is MSI (seems to be a lot of bricked msi boards compared to others for some reason).

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asus bios flash is pretty stable, but that board as far as I can tell, doesn't have any recovery options (dual bios, flashback etc), that let you recover if it went wrong, so it does carry a small risk.

It does however, as far as I can tell, have a socketed bios chip. So if it all went horribly wrong, you can just buy a pre-flashed chip, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIOS-Chip-ASUS-P8Z77-V-LK-/380455692010, and bring it back to life that way.

I'd just go for it. Only bios flash I dislike is MSI (seems to be a lot of bricked msi boards compared to others for some reason).

The BIOS also seems to have Asus CrashFree 3:

https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1012219

So if anything goes awry, apparently it has a way to roll back, looking at the official documentation, so not all is as bad as it seems. Whether this will be more than a waste of time, or if it'll really help the card work, it remains to be seen, heh.

I just wish I could completely overhaul the motherboard, new CPU, PSU, RAM, but...that would not be worth the cost lol.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY