Hardware Need a new modular PSU

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
@the_randomizer well, my evga supernova g2 750 watts just arrived today, however i will not put it into work until i get the rest of my computer probably at the end of this week
my 2 choices were between the evga and corsair
both of them are great choices i think...
i did go with evga because well, there are too many models on corsair that made me confused lol... evga sounded like a rock solid choice

one thing to know about PSU
the supernova g2 is a superflower (evga buys and rebrands it from another company)
while corsair and seasonic buys from the same company
there is info on the internet to know the real brand that made the PSU if you want to give it a look...
as long as it is from a reputatble brand.. should be ok..

btw, don't be fooled by the 80 plus rating, people usually thing "wow, gold is better than bronze" blablabla is better blablabla
well, the 80 plus rating only says if a PSU is efficient (it is a test of how much electricity it wastes at specific load levels)
this means, a platinum or titanium psu is more friendly towards your electrical bill and is closer to the total rated value (I.E a 750 watts titanium psu will deliver really close to the 750 watts) keep in mind, the tests are measured in specific loads, so a ratted platinum can be very efficient when full load, but if you are using for example 70% of the capacity, it can have a lower efficiency level than under 100% load

a new build without a GPU will waste very little, from what i understand it will spend like 100 watts up to about 150 maximum...
in nvidea website says a 1080 ti wastes 250 watts, and it is reccomended to use a 600 watts power suply..
if you are not going with SLI and using a budget psu, i would say get a 600 watts PSU max, with 80 plus rating of gold or more...
there are some dumbies who get a 1000 cheap as fuck powersuply for their single GPU and i5 build because "there loads of watts for gaming"
i did my research, i choose the 750 watts because it's the lowest value that makes me confortable for the future... (i plan to get an high end GPU like the 1080ti, and do overclocking so..)

so, try to search how much does your build uses at maximum, add a little extra to be safe, round it up and there ya go, you will save your electrical bill and have a good psu

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

No.

Seasonic manufacturer thier own psus and are a supplier to others.

Corsair haven't used Seasonic as an oem supplier for a long time either. All of Corsair's current unit's are CWT (Channel Well Technology).

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: daxtsu

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
No.

Corsair haven't used Seasonic as an oem supplier for a long time either. All of Corsair's current unit's are CWT (Channel Well Technology).
thanks for the correction.
i didn't searched about it, i just asked in the computer store about seasonic because they had this brand and i didn't knew about it.., the guy told me outdated info

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@the_randomizer well, my evga supernova g2 750 watts just arrived today, however i will not put it into work until i get the rest of my computer probably at the end of this week
my 2 choices were between the evga and corsair
both of them are great choices i think...
i did go with evga because well, there are too many models on corsair that made me confused lol... evga sounded like a rock solid choice

one thing to know about PSU
the supernova g2 is a superflower (evga buys and rebrands it from another company)
there is info on the internet to know the real brand that made the PSU if you want to give it a look...
as long as it is from a reputatble brand.. should be ok..

btw, don't be fooled by the 80 plus rating, people usually thing "wow, gold is better than bronze" blablabla is better blablabla
well, the 80 plus rating only says if a PSU is efficient (it is a test of how much electricity it wastes at specific load levels)
this means, a platinum or titanium psu is more friendly towards your electrical bill and is closer to the total rated value (I.E a 750 watts titanium psu will deliver really close to the 750 watts) keep in mind, the tests are measured in specific loads, so a ratted platinum can be very efficient when full load, but if you are using for example 70% of the capacity, it can have a lower efficiency level than under 100% load

a new build without a GPU will waste very little, from what i understand it will spend like 100 watts up to about 150 maximum...
in nvidea website says a 1080 ti wastes 250 watts, and it is reccomended to use a 600 watts power suply..
if you are not going with SLI and using a budget psu, i would say get a 600 watts PSU max, with 80 plus rating of gold or more...
there are some dumbies who get a 1000 cheap as fuck powersuply for their single GPU and i5 build because "there loads of watts for gaming"
i did my research, i choose the 750 watts because it's the lowest value that makes me confortable for the future... (i plan to get an high end GPU like the 1080ti, and do overclocking so..)

so, try to search how much does your build uses at maximum, add a little extra to be safe, round it up and there ya go, you will save your electrical bill and have a good psu

I just need to find out why a GPU that uses only a bit more than my current GPU doesn't work, it could be anything at this point; I'm going to have to do more research. I just don't want to go with a Corsair branded PSU and go with one with parts made from Japan instead, if that is indeed the issue. Either that or trying different power cables for the video card; once again I need to repeat the fact that I trust my older brother 100% as he is quite the expert and has worked at his job for at least ten years doing IT/tech support. I think he knows a thing a two about computer troubleshooting. That, and I'm not made out of cash, I can't rebuild much of anything unless I started a GoFundMe to get the money to completely overhaul my PC (new motherboard, CPU, RAM, tower, etc), but I dare not even consider asking for help on that one. If anything, I'll only really need a new PSU, if that is indeed the culprit, I don't know. I only want to use this GPU because it was given for free, I'm not going to spend 300 dollars for a new PSU or GPU. No way.

No.

Even back from 2013 when I built this machine? Either way, it's not looking good for me and the PSU, I just wish I had a way to test it out on another machine.

Molex is always 4 pin in a line. You're talking about 6-pin PCIe connectors, and your 650W PSU should definitely come with at least two 6/8 pin PCIe connectors (usually shaped with 6 pins with an extra 2 hanging off in case the graphics card needs 8 pins.

For reference, the maximum power draw an overclocked 970 can take is 250W under stress tests , but the reference design takes 145W on load.

41422NCYJcL._SY300_.jpg

On the left is what molex looks like, on the right is what PCIe 6-pin looks like. You should be using two modular 8-pin to 6+2-pin cable directly from the PSU, not using an adaptor like this one pictured. Based on the newegg pictures, the PSU end should be blue.

Yes, that's what I meant, the two six-pin connectors are what this GTX 970 came with, but when I powered on the PC, there was power going to it (as indicated by the flea power LED, it was bright green as normal), it just wouldn't turn on. It's possible we used the wrong port on the PSU, since it's 100% modular, I don't know. My current GPU only requires one and uses roughly 140 W max, 5 W should not make much of a difference. I posted my specs on the previous page, I don't think it's putting that much of a strain on 650 W.

Edit: Found a decent image of what my PSU has in terms of connectors on the back
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/hs_HX650_022.jpg

I definitely see the two PCI-e connectors alright, I'm going to try them at a later time, but not right now, but yeah, my PSU is definitely sufficient, something just needs to be tested more.

Edit: Found some six to eight pin PCI-e connectors that would work, 24 dollars for a pack of two from Corsair.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's strange that your hx650w corsair couldn't handle a 970, because i just saw one gameplay on youtube that could run a nvidia 780.
970 tdp isn't really high just 148, the 780 is 250.
If you want to change your psu, seasonic is 1 of the best brand for psu's according to reviews.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's strange that your hx650w corsair couldn't handle a 970, because i just saw one gameplay on youtube that could run a nvidia 780.
970 tdp isn't really high just 148, the 780 is 250.
If you want to change your psu, seasonic is 1 of the best brand for psu's according to reviews.

As long as it's modular, but there are things I wish to test before I jump the gun and plonk down a chunk of change for one. The next step is to ensure the cables are properly inserted; does it matter if they are Corsair specific cables, or are PCI-e connectors the same as any other connectors for PCI-e GPUs? I saw a pack of two for 24 dollars on Amazon (link in my above post)? I want to eliminate all the variables before I spend 80-100 dollars. It could be that the cables just don't work, or are faulty in some way; getting new cables would eliminate that variable.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even back from 2013 when I built this machine? Either way, it's not looking good for me and the PSU, I just wish I had a way to test it out on another machine.

Corsair have never been all Seasonic. It used to be a mix of Seasonic and CWT. HX650 can be either. Originally was Seasonic, V2 of the HX650 was CWT. Not sure what late V1s were, I think they were Seasonic.

It's possible we used the wrong port on the PSU, since it's 100% modular, I don't know.

You can't. The cables are keyed to the right ports. It if fits in the socket on the psu, then it's the right cable for that socket.

PCI-e connectors the same as any other connectors for PCI-e GPUs? I saw a pack of two for 24 dollars on Amazon (link in my above post)

No, they aren't all the same for modular psus. The end that goes into the gpu is the same, the end that goes into the supply can be wired differently. Those cables you linked are Corsair type 4 cable (rm/rmi). HX series uses type 3 cables that iirc have a different pinout at the psu end.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corsair have never been all Seasonic. It used to be a mix of Seasonic and CWT. HX650 can be either. Originally was Seasonic, V2 of the HX650 was CWT. Not sure what late V1s were, I think they were Seasonic.

You can't. The cables are keyed to the right ports. It if fits in the socket on the psu, then it's the right cable for that socket.

No, they aren't all the same for modular psus. The end that goes into the gpu is the same, the end that goes into the supply can be wired differently. Those cables you linked are Corsair type 4 cable (rm/rmi). HX series uses type 3 cables that iirc have a different pinout at the psu end.

Then what am I supposed to do to test out the cables to see if they're at fault or not? There's no way I can possible tell just from looking at the ones my brother brought with him; I know he told me he had a different PSU and suspects they might be the reason why. Why do I do now? Get a new PSU? A new set of cables with the specs that match my PSU (which are impossible to find now)? I just don't know anymore, it's infuriating, maybe that's what I get for wanting to update my GPU :( :hateit:

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then what am I supposed to do to test out the cables to see if they're at fault or not? There's no way I can possible tell just from looking at the ones my brother brought with him; I know he told me he had a different PSU and suspects they might be the reason why. Why do I do now? Get a new PSU? A new set of cables with the specs that match my PSU (which are impossible to find now)? I just don't know anymore, it's infuriating, maybe that's what I get for wanting to update my GPU :( :hateit:

If you think it's the cables, then Corsair still sell the type 3.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/type-3-sleeved-black-pci-e-cable

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think it's the cables, then Corsair still sell the type 3.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/type-3-sleeved-black-pci-e-cable

Therein lies the issue, I don't even know of the cables are the problem, but I know he doesn't have the same brand of PSU that I have. The problem is the cables do indeed fit into the video card pins and into the PSU just fine on my end, but the damn PC just refuses to boot up, killing my enthusiasm that I had for getting an infinitely better video card than I already have. I don't want to waste money on something that might not work. And so I was checking out that website, and those would work fine.

Attached is an image of one of the cables to show as an example in an image.

Would these ones here work as well?
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CP-8...1-1&keywords=Type+3+Sleeved+Black+PCI-E+Cable

Or would this?

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-6-Pi...ords=Type+3+Sleeved+Black+PCI-E+Cable+six+pin

Attachments

• 20170313_113726.jpg
    20170313_113726.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 77

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your pc works with the 660 in and both pcie connectors plugged in then the cables are not the problem.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your pc works with the 660 in and both pcie connectors plugged in then the cables are not the problem.

The 660 only requires one PCI-e connector. The GTX 970 is the one that needs two of them; but again, my brother isn't stupid enough to give me a faulty video card, he's not deceitful.:( He's only giving me this because he doesn't need it, he already has a Titan GPU. Why are people assuming he's only giving me this because it's broken/non functioning? He's never done that and he never will, anyways, would any one of those cables listed above work? I'm thinking because the cables are just incompatible.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 660 only requires one PCI-e connector. The GTX 970 is the one that needs two of them; but again, my brother isn't stupid enough to give me a faulty video card, he's not deceitful.:( He's only giving me this because he doesn't need it, he already has a Titan GPU. Why are people assuming he's only giving me this because it's broken/non functioning? He's never done that and he never will, anyways, would any one of those cables listed above work? I'm thinking because the cables are just incompatible.

Amazon cables are type 4 again.

My mistake the HX650 are unique cables, not even type 3. Only HX750 and up is type 3. Cable compatiblity straight from Corsair

https://forum.overclock3d.net/showpost.php?p=862534&postcount=10

And no one is assuming he gave you something broken. Sometimes gpu/motherboards don't get on with eacher other. It's rare, but it's not unheard of. Even if it is broken, it could have died in transport etc.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazon cables are type 4 again.

My mistake the HX650 are unique cables, not even type 3. Only HX750 and up is type 4. Cable compatiblity straight from Corsair

https://forum.overclock3d.net/showpost.php?p=862534&postcount=10

And no one is assuming he gave you something broken. Sometimes gpu/motherboards don't get on with eacher other. It's rare, but it's not unheard of. Even if it is broken, it could have died in transport etc.

Then what do you suggest I do? Just give up on trying to use this card? I don't exactly have the funds to upgrade anything on my PC, short of a miracle or starting a GoFundMe to get financial assistance, but I dare not ask of that from anyone on here. You know, because reasons. It doesn't feel right. Do you know where I can get those cables? And I did attach a pic of what the cables he brought look like, one of them anyway. I don't even know what the cable I need is called.

Judging from the sound of things, I'm royally SOL and there's not a damn thing I can do to fix this, or even find the right cable for this PSU. So yeah, it's vain.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know where I can get those cables? And I did attach a pic of what the cables he brought look like, one of them anyway. I don't even know what the cable I need is called.

Judging from the sound of things, I'm royally SOL and there's not a damn thing I can do to fix this, or even find the right cable for this PSU. So yeah, it's vain.

I saw the cable. Other than to show that's what you are using, it doesn't really help in terms of compatiblity. It looks like a Corsair type 3 cable, but according to the Corsair employee in the post I linked, it's not.

You can always go down the molex to pci-e route and grab cables like Originality posted, just to test. I agree with joe88 though, I really doubt the cable is at fault, other than breaking (which is unlikely), there is not much to go wrong with them. But trying molex->pcie is a cheap way to rule it out.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the cable. Other than to show that's what you are using, it doesn't really help in terms of compatiblity. It looks like a Corsair type 3 cable, but according to the Corsair employee in the post I linked, it's not.

You can always go down the molex to pci-e route and grab cables like Originality posted, just to test. I agree with joe88 though, I really doubt the cable is at fault, other than breaking (which is unlikely), there is not much to go wrong with them. But trying molex->pcie is a cheap way to rule it out.

*Sigh* This is proving to be incredibly discouraging. If I had 1000 dollars to spare, I'd be all for a new build, for most of the hardware; unfortunately, that's impossible. And I don't have high hopes right now, to be brutally honest. You mean a six pin to eight pin connector? I don't feel so good.

Edit: Just stressed, irritated, and baffled at this. Part of me wants to overhaul or update most of this, it's just...the fact I can't do anything right now....

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*Sigh* TYou mean a six pin to eight pin connector? I don't feel so good.

I meant use adapters like what originality posted here

http://gbatemp.net/threads/need-a-new-modular-psu.464331/#post-7172654

Unless that's what you meant. Eliminate the pcie cable as a suspect part. I wouldn't use adapters like that for a long time, but they are cheap, so it would be a cheap way to remove the pcie type cable from the equation. I still agree with joe88 though, seems unlikely to be the cable, I would be very suprised if it is that.

Seems far more likely it's the card, psu or motherboard compatiblity with it.

Might be a stupid question, but is the gtx 970 2x6 pin or 2x8 or one 6 & one 8 pin? If it's an 8 pin on the card, you did attached the seperate 2pin on the end of the pic-e cable?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant use adapters like what originality posted here

http://gbatemp.net/threads/need-a-new-modular-psu.464331/#post-7172654

Unless that's what you meant. Eliminate the pcie cable as a suspect part. I wouldn't use adapters like that for a long time, but they are cheap, so it would be a cheap way to remove the pcie type cable from the equation. I still agree with joe88 though, seems unlikely to be the cable, I would be very suprised if it is that.

Seems far more likely it's the card, psu or motherboard compatiblity with it.

Might be a stupid question, but is the gtx 970 2x6 pin or 2x8 or one 6 & one 8 pin? If it's an 8 pin on the card, you did attached the seperate 2pin on the end of the pic-e cable?

The GPU is using two six-pin connectors, with eight-pin connectors on the end, that go into the PSU itself (the same as the one six-pin that my GTX 660 is using right now, six pin to eight pin). I don't know for sure, as my brother was the one who hooked it up, not me, and I failed to ask him as yesterday was a busy day. I will make sure that when I test it again, that both cables are securely connected and seated. That said, I have to find something to do, I feel like I just want to curl up in a ball..I'm just...annoyed at this and how it ended up..right now.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it was the 660ti that needs 2.
Easiest way to test is just plug one in on the 660, start pc, see if it starts, then do the same with the other plug. If both can deliver power fine then its not the wires.
We are not saying your brother broke the card or giving you a bad card on purpose, but something might have happened when transporting the card into your hands that caused it to break.

Reactions: RaMon90

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Take a breather, leave the PC alone for a day, walk it off or play a console game... whatever works for you. If you're getting this worked up and stressed, nothing productive will come from stressing further today.

You can always come back to this tomorrow, take things step by step, using pictures if you need to.

For what it's worth, if your brother was the one who set it up originally, then you can always try asking him for advice.

Also, it is possible for a perfectly functional card to stop working properly when put into a new system. I've seen 3 graphics cards (both AMD and nVidia) die in that way in recent years.

Reactions: RaMon90

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google