PS1/2 Need a lot of guidance with PS2 Free MCBoot

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I plan on obtaining a pre-ready MC with Free MCBoot installed for my sister's PS2 console. However, I have literally zero experience with PS2 modding. (I've done Wii, Wii U, 3DS.)

I want to load PS2 games from a USB harddrive. I also want to know if you can play PS1 games too with it.

It's going to come with Free MCBoot 1.953 installed, but from there I'm a complete noob.

Console is a PAL Fat PS2, I believe its a 39XXX model (Can't remember the last digits when I checked earlier, but I know it started with 39)

Last edited by bobfacemoo,

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just recently started screwing around with my ps2 and USB loading is garbage you can grab a game star network adapter off aliexpress or ebay for 15 bucks and a 1tb hdd for 50 and save yourself all kind of headaches.
Just be aware tho the gamestar network adapter actually doesn't support networking it's specifically for installing a hdd

skyldgh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For loading PS2 Games off of USB, Look into OPL or PS2ESDL.

Installing is easy, i encourage you to screw around in the FreeMcBoot config for a bit.

GL :yayps3:

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on a very tight budget, I literally have only enough for getting the MC. I have a USB HDD already, and apparently it's possible to used burned discs too, and that's better than HDD loading? That's a viable option.

I've looked into POPS, and a lot of the games I want to play seem to either have issues or are unplayable. >.<

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm on a very tight budget, I literally have only enough for getting the MC. I have a USB HDD already, and apparently it's possible to used burned discs too, and that's better than HDD loading? That's a viable option.
ps2 has usb 1.0 which does suck....
with freemcboot you will be able to burn the discs... that's the better option in your case i believe
if you got more money and since you have the fat ps2, putting an hdd inside would be great... (but you require lan adapter and very likely either a ide to sata mod, or ide hdd)
loading games off SMB (games in pc, shared through ethernet) is a better option than ps2 usb

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ps2 has usb 1.0 which does suck....
with freemcboot you will be able to burn the discs... that's the better option in your case i believe
if you got more money and since you have the fat ps2, putting an hdd inside would be great... (but you require lan adapter and very likely either a ide to sata mod, or ide hdd)
loading games off SMB (games in pc, shared through ethernet) is a better option than ps2 usb

Anything with ethernet/internet won't work, she doesn't have wifi in her flat ;^;
Is there a tutorial anywhere to burn discs? I know where I'd find all the ISOs, is it just simply burn said ISO to disc and play? Obviously having loaded up the app, in which case, what'd I use to load them?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Anything with ethernet/internet won't work, she doesn't have wifi in her flat ;^;
i also forgot, you got the fat one, you would need the lan adapter, and ps2 has no wifi.. you would require either to connect it to pc directly, or router

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there a tutorial anywhere to burn discs? I know where I'd find all the ISOs, is it just simply burn said ISO to disc and play?
i believe PS2 discs just need to be burned, maybe you require a patch before burning it but i am not sure...
as for PS1, i have no idea...

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't burned a ps2 game in a long time but if I'm rembering this right I think you need esr disc patcher to patch the iso then you need to run it using esr launcher or something like that

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I have the MC now and I have PS1 games working through POPS, but for the life of me I can't get PS2 games to work. Nor can I get the ps2 to recognize my USB HDD (I'm using a Y-cable and it still doesn't, and I've tried three different ones and none of them will read.)

Whenever I use OPL I get a "this can't be opened" error, and if I have to use USBUtil (I think it's called, to split games that are 4gb+) then it often says there's some kind of error, tried several games and all give this error. I'm getting games from a "reliable" source, but I can't get anything to work.

Can someone help me? The reason I can run normal PS1 games is because I have those on a general USB, not my USB HDD.

Also, I tried burning them to disc after patching them with ESRPatcher to use with ESR, but they result in a pink screen after I choose "Launch CDVD" in the menu and hang there.

Last edited by bobfacemoo,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Do yourself a favor and get a network adapter and use either a IDE or Sata HDD (using the sata adapter for the network adapter) and the latest Ulaunchelf supports 2Tb drives. Stay clear from USB, as it sucks ass (why use USB 1.1 speeds)

For the sata adapter:

http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.ph...ducts_id=103&zenid=0n5h5kh2ngpcdhcvifat7fptq7

I have used these guys before, so no issues ordering.

My setup consists of a Sata 1.5TB drive configured with OPL with also SMB networking from my PC.

Last edited by retrofan_k,
Reactions: cvskid

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats.. weird, what is your current st up?

Okay. I bought a MC preinstalled with MCBoot and stuff. It has ULE, OPL, HD Loader, etc etc installed.
PS2 model is SCPH-39003.

USB HDD formatted as FAT32 filesystem with Y-cable (although the PS2 won't actually detect it? I don't know why.)
For PS1 games I'm just using a USB thumbdrive, seems to do the trick using POPS.

Whenever I choose my ISO in USBUtil it transfers into several 1GB files (I'm guessing it should do this) and then says something about it being a bad copy? It says to press the "fill space" (i can't remember the name of the button) so I did and it didn't help. Everything just throws an error in OPL.

OPL version is 0.9.3 I believe.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do yourself a favor and get a network adapter and use either a IDE or Sata HDD (using the sata adapter for the network adpater) and the latest Ulaunchelf supports 2Tb drives. Stay clear from USB, as it sucks ass (why use USB 1.1 speeds)

My setup consists of a Sata 1.5TB drive configured with OPL with also SMB networking from my PC.

I already said I'm on a tight budget, and it's not *my* PS2. I'm just setting it up for someone, so it's slightly frustrating I can't get anything to work.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that guide is totally missing formating the drive with winhiip. i tried opl once and didnt like it. ive been using hdloader ever since it came out and you need to format your drive with winhiip first. i imagine opl works the same way. winhiip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPUzBRjg1E