MechaPwn for PS2... quite useless on a phat PAL console

AM_PM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I tried out MechaPwn for the first time today on my PAL SCPH-50003. This is clearly a really cool mod that unfortunately doesn't do much for a PAL fat PS2. Looking at the details on GitHub, all those benefits of being able to make the system completely region free don't apply to PAL - it seems the only gain we get from it is the ability to play PS1 backups, and even then only those from the console's original region.

I tested everything out and can confirm: I first tried the latest version 3.00 (RC4) which doesn't change the model name by design, and then version 2.00 where I changed my model to a USA DEX unit (50001). Only PS1 PAL backups worked, sadly :/

Clearly in PAL territory you'd ideally want a slim PS2 from SCPH-7000x onwards to get the cool stuff. It's a shame because I much prefer the phat model T_T

Last edited by AM_PM,
Reactions: Shadow-Zero

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my opinion MechePwn is an impressive exploit. Bypassing a write protection and basically turning off most of the security features came unexpectedly.

And… adding CD-R loading for PS1 games without a modchip is useless? I guess one can patch the game region before burning to CD-R (there was a similar problem on all but the very first Japanese PS1 consoles which incorporate additional check after authenticating the CD which isn't bypassed by modchips).
Only real roadblock is that imported originals are not going to work. Region locking was anti-consumer from the beginning in all instances.

As for PS2 games: There is this function force unlock. Don't quote me on that, but I believe there is a possibility to patch games into master discs and bypass the logo check.
Most PS2 games are DVD based and compatibility with ESR patching isn't bad, so starting from DVD±R with FreeMCBoot is an option without MechaPwn.
=======

The big PS2 models with the extension bay can have full-fledged HDD loading regardless of other options.

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How ? ...and does this apply to all models (PAL, US ASIA)?
Don't ask me for the details. I'm not very knowledgeable with PS2 topics. But all fat PS2 consoles should have an extension bay for HDD/Network adapter.
The original one is IDE based (not surprising looking at the age of PS2), but there are third-party HDD adapters (mostly without network functionality).

Shouldn't be to hard to find a guide/manual online how to do HDD loading. Never looked it up… because… never bought the HDD adapter. Somewhere on the to-do list…

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't ask me for the details. I'm not very knowledgeable with PS2 topics. But all fat PS2 consoles should have an extension bay for HDD/Network adapter.
The original one is IDE based (not surprising looking at the age of PS2), but there are third-party HDD adapters (mostly without network functionality).

Shouldn't be to hard to find a guide/manual online how to do HDD loading. Never looked it up… because… never bought the HDD adapter. Somewhere on the to-do list…
Thank you :)

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

AM_PM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
In my opinion MechePwn is an impressive exploit. Bypassing a write protection and basically turning off most of the security features came unexpectedly.

And… adding CD-R loading for PS1 games without a modchip is useless? I guess one can patch the game region before burning to CD-R (there was a similar problem on all but the very first Japanese PS1 consoles which incorporate additional check after authenticating the CD which isn't bypassed by modchips).
Only real roadblock is that imported originals are not going to work. Region locking was anti-consumer from the beginning in all instances.

As for PS2 games: There is this function force unlock. Don't quote me on that, but I believe there is a possibility to patch games into master discs and bypass the logo check.
Most PS2 games are DVD based and compatibility with ESR patching isn't bad, so starting from DVD±R with FreeMCBoot is an option without MechaPwn.
=======

The big PS2 models with the extension bay can have full-fledged HDD loading regardless of other options.
I mean I agree that it is impressive, letting you do those things without needing a modchip. But in this case on phat PAL it doesn't do much. I imagine it'd be a golden exploit for any NTSC owners.

Okay, maybe the PS1 backup games are quite useful for some, but you'd still be limited to PAL only. And of course for most JP/US developed games the PAL versions are inferior. I do personally have a modded PS1 that can run any of these, hence making the MechaPwn more useless to me. Having said that I do have a slim PAL PS2 as well, but I wish I could use the phat for these instead!

The information about Force Unlock is quite cryptic on the GitHub page. Not sure how to go about it.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a PAL PS2 owner and I find mechapwn to be very useful. I can play NTSC backup PS1 games just fine on my fat PS2 by patching the region. As for the video mode, I have to use PS1VModeNeg to get them to display correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY