Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

olfa

Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
hello

2 little questions
1. anyone knowing a good source for spare parts (need L/R button cables)
2.anonye played with microsub mod can tell
me if it's possible that if cable is too long, you get blue screen just by connecting male mcirousb 2 sdcard cable ?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to start my second attempt at this (edit: after work), now that I have a good iron and tip. My new plan is to put hot glue on the nearby chips, so If I slip I get a small period of time before something goes flying (I don't want to somehow miss the pin and desolder the resistor array again...) I think the soldering iron would melt the glue rather quickly, but it should be enough to not screw up the resistor, right?

Basically, I'm probably going to cover the sensitive components near the NAND pinout with hot glue so I can't desolder them quickly on accident.

The reason why I'm asking this is I'm wondering if there is some reason I shouldn't do this. Primarily, I'm wondering if the resistor arrays would get hot enough to melt the hot glue and cause problems.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you really shouldnt have a problem with the XL, if you do you should get some more practice in first :teach:

btw did you get the resistors fixed or just got a different 3ds?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you really shouldnt have a problem with the XL, if you do you should get some more practice in first :teach:

btw did you get the resistors fixed or just got a different 3ds?

It was conveniently two days after my birthday and even more conveniently my siblings hadn't gotten me anything. As a result, I got a 4.2U board (by itself) off of eBay (they got it for ~$60).

Much cheaper than a new XL :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no they would really get hot at all, but i seriously suggest you just enjoy your ds and dont worry about soldering unless there is something you NEED to solder for

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no they would really get hot at all, but i seriously suggest you just enjoy your ds and dont worry about soldering unless there is something you NEED to solder for

"No they would"? Is that "yes they would" or "no they wouldn't"?

As for soldering, I would like the ability to unbrick my 3ds XL, as I need region free (and I don't own a Gateway, so using region-free ROMs isn't an option. Right now Im just using emuNAND classic @ v7.1 to play games while I wait, but I don't trust gateway to not give me a brick chance.)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
lol soz "no they wouldn't"

also you should of looked for a motherboard of the region you wanted to play games from XD

i would recommend you wait for 2.0 final and see if they include the region free patch for classic mode, hopefully they make the brick code more secure or just remove it, have you though of sendig it off to someone to fit the usb mod instead so you don't have to risk damaging it with soldering, you might be able to find someone who will take the broken motherboard as payment as they could fix it up and sell it on for more than the parts cost for your mod

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol soz "no they wouldn't"

also you should of looked for a motherboard of the region you wanted to play games from XD

I plan to play most of my games from the US.

However, my mother was on a trip to Europe and brought home a copy of A Link Between Worlds. From Germany.
Obviously, this is region locked. However, it is not easy to resell in the US (where nobody can play it). And there exists the possibility of region free (making me not want to go re-buy the game in the US)
It also doesn't help that I am studying Japanese ATM, and may want to import some games from there in the future.

Result: I want to play my existing US games, but also this EU game, and any JPN games I may get later.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
JAP is demeaning for japanese, correct is JPN.
If ur worried about too much heat on the surrounding smds then just cover them with some kapton tape. If u can't get it easily then i would think even normal insulation tape would be better than messy hot glue @@.

Reactions: misterb98

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JAP is demeaning for japanese, correct is JPN.
If ur worried about too much heat on the surrounding smds then just cover them with some kapton tape. If u can't get it easily then i would think even normal insulation tape would be better than messy hot glue @@.
Thanks. I didn't do my research on the shortening of the regions, I thought it was NA, EU/PAL, JAP, KOR.

Any idea why it is demeaning?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem might be you are using a 30 Watt or higher Iron. Use a 12-22 Watt iron for this mod
I have a variable tempurature iron now. I was going to go at 620w, but should I go lower? 60/40 rosin lead solder is what I am using.

edit: whoops! Meant 620 degrees F. LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://imgur.com/gallery/eKouuoN