Hardware My uncle wants a custom gaming PC for Christmas, can you guys help out?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hes only getting one PC but asked for two builds of it. One $700 build and one $1k build.

Do not include the OS, monitor, keyboard, and mouse as I have that covered. Hopefully the money saved from that can go towards stronger parts.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the $700 build, let's say a i5-6400 (or around that), GTX 1060, 12-16GB RAM. For the $1000 build, same but with a 1070.

Reactions: Chary

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres what I put together for just under $900. If anyone thinks they can make it better for under $1k please go ahead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6DCLwV
a sshhd might work better. slightly more, but the extra oomph will be noticeable as the OS will be on thia drive.

edit:oooo m.2 support, might want to add a samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd, or something cheaper, fors super fast harddrive action.

Last edited by osaka35,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added the SSD. With mail in rebate it's just under $1k. Any other suggestions or tweaks?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/D4ZZzM
if you can find the m.2 version of the 850 ssd for around the same price, i'd go with that one instead. but otherwise looks good.

the plextor M8Pe 128GB is about the same price for more speed, though i'm not sure how much off the top of my head

Last edited by osaka35,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Heres what I put together for just under $900. If anyone thinks they can make it better for under $1k please go ahead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6DCLwV

I see what you did there with the K and the z170A, but seriously your uncle will need to fully unlock the cpu's overclock?

There's plenty of mobos with 1151 socket and the H110 chipset (which admits soft overclock to non-K cpus) and paired with a non-K intel will suit your uncle better and free up a hundred bucks in the process, which you could certainly use in that graphics card to go gtx1070 in about a thousand.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Corsair 200r. might not be the most visually appealing case, but it's very roomy and is great for a budget build cost me around 50$ iirc. I would also recommend getting 16gb of ram. I have 8gb and its just not enough for me.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see what you did there with the K and the z170A, but seriously your uncle will need to fully unlock the cpu's overclock?

There's plenty of mobos with 1151 socket and the H110 chipset (which admits soft overclock to non-K cpus) and paired with a non-K intel will suit your uncle better and free up a hundred bucks in the process, which you could certainly use in that graphics card to go gtx1070 in about a thousand.
Feel free to put something together for under $1k. Remember to disregard the things from the first post.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Feel free to put something together for under $1k. Remember to disregard the things from the first post.
Heh, time has passed since I did my last build cherrypicking parts but hey, not too shabby: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/p9HGnn

Pros:
  • GTX 1070! (For real!)
  • Gigabyte build (low speccy but sturdy af!)
  • Cooler master air cooling for cpu!
  • 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133, expandible to 32 GB in the future
  • 250 GB of ssd for the main system and 2TB of barracuda drive for steam libraries and general garbage
  • Plenty of space in a roomy yet small zalman stylish case (up to 5 drives and liquid cooling compatible!)
Cons:
  • 993 $, and you can get a meal at mcdonals/burguer king with the rest
  • 600W Corsair PSU is just OK for this system. It may need a 700 W one if more ram/disks/liquid cooling/leds/fans are installed.
  • Custom air cooling just covers up the little overclock the mobo lets do to the selected cpu.
  • It can become rather noisy. Specially when the 1070 revs up.
I think I can not adjust any better to it. The build is trying to solve as many problems for you as for your uncle, as is going more for durability (tanky) than gaming.
It has a bit of everything. If you consider the ssd is not necessary, I personally would use that money for an extra fan and a better PSU.

Happy building!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1