Hardware Hacking My SD and movable.sed bricks 3ds-es so far ntrboot can't fix it, not an mcu problem.

kevincrans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SOLVED! (don't forget to fix cmac and the magnet sspot on 2ds is higher)

I repost this because it didn't appear in new post list, got no views and I had an issue signing in, so I think it's a ghost-thread.
The sd got corrupted a week after uninstalling cfw, forgetting to uninstall some cia's; when I was playing RPG Maker FES, it froze (like I had with CFW at least plenty of times).
Only this time it booted into lumabug.
Ntrboot didn't recover it, so I bought a new 2ds, put the movable.sed on it and the sd card in, same ntrboot unfixable lumabug.

What's behind this, Nintendo blocking my movable, faulty circuitry, faulty sd card, or corrupted nand?
Also, is this issue reproduceable on a dsi (in case it needs the same fix)?

If we can't fix it, I hope we can find out why they broke.

Last edited by kevincrans,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I repost this because it didn't appear in new post list, got no views and I had an issue signing in, so I think it's a ghost-thread.
Nah, you're just impatient. It takes a while for the views counter to increase. It is visible.

The sd movable.sed pair got corrupted a week after uninstalling cfw, forgetting to uninstall some cia's; when I was playing RPG Maker FES, it froze (like I had with CFW at least plenty of times).
Uninstalling CFW is never a solution and most likely will makes things worse.
I don't understand the part wiith "movable.sed pair" got corrupted. Please explain this a bit more.

Only this time it booted into lumabug.
Ntrboot didn't recover it, so I bought a new 3ds, put the movable.sed on it and the sd card in, same ntrboot unfixable lumabug.
What is lumabug? Never read this.
You put the movable.sed on the SD or did you replace the one of the new console with the one from the old console (please don't)?
====

Generally this sounds like a bad SD (check it with h2testw and try a different SD). What do the bricked devices do when turning them on (best without any SD)?

kevincrans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nah, you're just impatient. It takes a while for the views counter to increase. It is visible.

Uninstalling CFW is never a solution and most likely will makes things worse.
I don't understand the part wiith "movable.sed pair" got corrupted. Please explain this a bit more.

What is lumabug? Never read this.
You put the movable.sed on the SD or did you replace the one of the new console with the one from the old console (please don't)?
====

Generally this sounds like a bad SD (check it with h2testw and try a different SD). What do the bricked devices do when turning them on (best without any SD)?
I wasn't only being impatient, only unread posts were also checked.
The first un-CFW-ed device is old story, it was already gone to me.
I talked to a friend, the movable.sed can't be the issue, so I changed pair to sd only.
Lumabug is (3)ds only turning on with blue light, usually, the brick can be fixed with ntrboot, this time not. it does now

I just had to use a better magnet at a higher spot and fix the cmac.

Last edited by kevincrans,

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your post was deleted somehow soon after..
The sd got corrupted a week after uninstalling cfw,
Did you check the sdcard for corruption with h2testw?
forgetting to uninstall some cia's; when I was playing RPG Maker FES, it froze (like I had with CFW at least plenty of times).
How is that the cause of sd card corruption?
And since you had this "freezing" problem with the game before, it means there could be other system related issues..
Ntrboot didn't recover it, so I bought a new 3ds, put the movable.sed on it and the sd card in, same ntrboot unfixable lumabug.
I think you're mistaking "Movable.sed" for Luma3DS. Movable.sed file doesn't have any function when it comes to how the system boots.. Luma3DS boot.firm file on the other hand is required in order for the system to boot to the home menu..
What's behind this, Nintendo blocking my movable,
No.
faulty circuitry, faulty sd card, or corrupted nand?
Too early to tell. I'd suggest testing the sdcard with h2testw if you haven't already. Formatting it as FAT32 32kb clusters, then copying Luma's boot.firm file to the root of the sdcard, then boot the system again.
Also, is this issue reproduceable on a dsi (in case it needs the same fix)?
No. Different systems different cfws..
If we can't fix it, I hope we can find out why they broke.
Just do the suggestions above.
The first un-CFW-ed device is old story, it was already gone to me.
You got the system in that state you mean?
Lumabug is (3)ds only turning on with blue light,
If you talking about booting into a black screen with the blue power led ON, then there could be many reasons why it would do that..
usually, the brick can be fixed with ntrboot, this time not.
It's too early to call it a brick.
it either worked except sd, or not and reproduced (funny enough) the same resiults.
You mean the system boots into the home menu when the sd card is not inserted? Or not?
The consoles won't boot with other sd, then it would at least have repsonded to ntrboot.
What other sd card?
What step on the ntrboot guide are you on (if you are following one at all)?
If there's corrupted files on sd, I wonder which and what is affected causing this, nand or hardware.
If the sd card passes the (h2testw) test then it's not the sd card. We could test further after that..
It's easy to send the new unmodified(except sed) device to nintendo, if they can't repair nand, they'll send one as new as yesterday.
No.

kevincrans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm so sorry I didn't tell a bit earlier, I told my friend and had to eat diner.
It works now, did do the magnet thing right and fixed cmac.
I gave up too early because I still had the 1st broken 3ds in my head.
Now I can remove the homebrewed software from the sd like I should have done earlier.

Also don't mind the old one, u can always contact me when you're interested in getting to know how to fix it.

But having my sd savefiles back is enough for me.

Also, I requested to delete the first post, it didn't had tags and double posting is unfair

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!
    Veho @ Veho: Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!