My PC-98 translation projects

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm sorry but it's absolutely impossible, unless someone ports the entire AliceSoft system 3.5 to PC-98, which is very, very unlikely...
Yet the source code of that game engine is freely available: https://github.com/kichikuou/xsystem35-sdl2
so the port to PC-98 is maybe unlikely, but far from impossible. All we need is the good will of some kind and generous soul: among other things, that engine is already available for PSVita, Android devices and maybe more. I hope someone ports it to PC-98, it's really worth it. 😋

Edit: I've just found a PSP port to my great surprise! 🤩 Who knows if it will be compatible with the english version of that game: I highly doubt it, as the Android version is not.

Edit 2: Alas, for some strange reason Kichikou Rance (english patched) runs on System39 engine instead. To the hell with that!
:nayps3:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Porting modern technologies such as SDL on PC-98 would be really difficult, to not say impossible. A native port for PSP/Android is more likely. Fingers crossed :)

Reactions: Nikokaro

duosok

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Can i suggest more game translate like Only You - Seikimatsu no Juliet-tachi because its have some command combat simple and dating stuff but i cant understand what is mean :(

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ATM the plan is to finish Shangrlia 2 (I'm about 75% done) and the DPS script port (40% done with the actual script insertion, but will need some rewrites). Then I'll port the remaining AliceSoft titles that already have an English translation.

Except for one specific project I won't announce until we have a technical roadblock sorted, and most likely won't be done before mid-2024, I have no specific plan for a new full TL right now. I've already slowed down a lot this year ; Lime and Milk combined are only about 2/3 of Lakers 2 text-wise, just to get an idea.

That being said, "Only You" would probably be something interesting to do. I won't completely rule out the idea, but *if* I do it, it won't be before long.

Last edited by BabaJeanmel,
Reactions: duosok and Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey @BabaJeanmel , regarding Knights of Xentar (DK3), have you given up on it? After all, you should only port the english script (however unfaithful to the original, it's better than nothing), it's not long and doesn't have much dialogue, if I remember correctly. Possibly, is there no one on your team interested in the task? While I'm at it, do you have any news on the status of the DK4 translation?
Merci pour tout et bonne journée.😉

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dragon Knight IV is about 60% complete. I've been helping Shintocetra occasionally on the hacking side, as well as playtesting, and can assure you it's a very polished project, truly a labor of love. It will really be more than worth the wait!

As for Dragon Knight III, yes it's abandoned. Porting the existing script would be too much of a hassle considering the messy data format Megatech used and all the engine tweaks needed. As for retranslating... well, let's say I became bored pretty fast. I know there's popular demand for this one, but I just don't enjoy working on it... sorry.

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a very very long game text-wise... But Shintocetra is progressing steadily, and no previous attempt at translating the game has gone this far. Rest assured, you'll play it eventually :)

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Rest assured, you'll play it eventually
Of course I'll play it, you bet I will; as I will play your Shangrlia2, on the other hand.
Regarding D.P.S., is it the last title for PC-98 (DPS Zembu) that contains 15 stories, or just the first title in the series (I'm afraid that's the case)?

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just the first title. It's pretty much a tech research project that will lead to further releases. The game in itself is pretty bad, let's be honest. And the english script isn't very good either... I won't retranslate it from scratch, but will certainly edit it to make it more leigble.

• Sad

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just a heartbeat to tell DPS is still in progress. It takes a bit more time than planned ; I thought it would take a week at best, but between the very poor quality of the English script and the re-insertion of every single animation frame into the script files, not to mention the tedious work of reformating, well... it's kind of a lot of work, actually ^^

ATM there's 75% of the English script that has been inserted, along with 60% of the animations. The revision of the script (I'm not re-translating the whole thing, just correcting the most blatant mistakes + the bizarre phrasing, third-person speech and other untranslated onomatopeia) is about 15% done.

After everything's finished, Alpharobo will have to manually reinsert the opening routine, that the script tools bluntly remove for some reason.

If all goes well, both DPS and Shangrlia 2 should be ready for release in october. Then I'll work on Little Vampire (hopefully, it should be quicker than DPS) and then Rance.

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Heartbeat: all DPS script is now ported, and about 10% of it still needs editing, but it's a matter of days before I finish it. Then I'll get back to Shangrlia 2 (still 4 H-scenes to process). I should be able to keep my october schedule :)

DPS is officially the cringiest thing I've ever done, on par with Amy's Fantasies. Player discretion is advised ^^ I didn't enjoy it much, but learnt a lot of very useful stuff that will be put on good use for the rest of the AliceSoft porting project :)

As for Shangrlia 2, it's an awesome game, but the h-scenes are really poorly written.

Next upcoming project is Little Vampire (script port from PC to PC-98, same engine as DPS, and thankfully the script doesn't need editing). Apart from possible unexpected bugs, it should be done pretty quickly.

Reactions: ecto and Nikokaro

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Added some info about the upcoming Little Vampire project, along with proper credit for all the talented hackers who worked on these projects :)

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I will need some proofreaders for Shangrlia 2, to correct my possible grammar mistakes. I can provide a full savegame with almost all text accesible at start. If you're interested, feel free to drop me a DM.

And by the way, Rance is about 10% done. Some adjustments will be needed, as the data is organized in a very different way between the two versions of the game, but it should not be too much of an issue. I'll have my hands full with work on november, so if it's not finished until then you'll have to wait until december to play it.

Obviously, Rance 2 and Toushin Toshi will be released in 2024. And after I'm done with these script ports, I'll do something brand new for the next project. I already have a few candidates... :)
Post automatically merged:

Rance preview. Missing graphics will be restored when the script is fully inserted, don't worry :)
Menus are basically done, with a few things to tune. Data was scattered in various different files, it was a pain in the ass to retrieve anything. But I'd say the hardest part is done :)

Attachments

• NP2_0000.png
    NP2_0000.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 29
  • NP2_0002.png
    NP2_0002.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 27
  • NP2_0001.png
    NP2_0001.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 27

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rance is 1/3 done now. Expect a release in the next weeks.

Help wanted: I need proofreaders for Shangrlia 2. If anybody is interested (almost all text is available in the omake menu so it doesn't rquire a full play), please let me know by DM.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Help wanted: I need proofreaders for Shangrlia 2.
Well, I fervently hope that someone will come forward to help you. As for me, unfortunately my elementary knowledge of english I am afraid is inadequate for this important task, and then, to be honest, if I have to concentrate now to look for errors or oversights here and there out of duty, I would then lose all the pleasure of playing it later. 😋

Reactions: BabaJeanmel

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rance 1's script is completely backported. I'm doing a full playthrough to iron out bugs and errors, then it'll need a couple graphics-related fixes by Alpharobo. As for now it looks pretty nice, except for a couple untranslated graphics (the Windows version also had these untranslated, the graphic format hasn't been really cracked yet, unfortunately)

As for Shangrlia 2, I have everything that's translated so far proofred. I need to make the corrections and finish the 25% remaining so I can finally have this one out of my plate. I'm currently enjoying my fall break, but can't guarantee I'll have enough time on my hands to finish both projects before november hits. Depends on how many derps remain in Rance :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite for people with beefy...