Gaming my odds of getting rrod?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is no one cause of the E74 RROD. It's been suggested that MS used a brittle type of lead free solder which breaks under extreme heat and the associated expansion/ contraction, it's also been suggested the X-Clamps can warp the motherboard under extreme heat from the metal casing not being perfectly flat. Both of those will only be an issue if there's excessive heat, which is common on the first revision console.

It's known the E74 RROD issues cost Microsoft over $1 billion in repair/ replacement bills. Any issues with solder would have been quickly fixed as it would have saved them $$$ in repair bills. As for the X-Clamps, they were still being used on the RROD free Jaspers and are still used on the Slim's. So I really doubt the X-Clamps were the cause of the issues. On a first generation console the CPU tends to run as hot or hotter than the GPU, the CPU uses the same solder/ X-Clamps yet doesn't suffer from failure.

XBOX360 consoles can be very reluctant to speed up their fans to keep the noise down, by default they run at 40%. An original XBOX360 console doesn't increase the fan speeds until the GPU reaches ~083°C, and won't shutoff from overheating until the GPU reaches 110°C or the ED-RAM reaches 117°C. It is possible even on a retail console to change these temperatures at which the console will increase the fan speeds, it's been suggested that if you keep the GPU under 60°C it should be relatively safe from E74 RROD/ GPU Failure particularly if this was done from early in the consoles lifespan.

The second revision of XBOX360 included an additional heatsink on the GPU to reduce the temperatures, however dust is still a severe problem. It's not so much the dust on fans which is an issue, dust clogs up the fins on the heatsinks which prevents them from moving air. On a 3 year old console which has seen a fair amount of use, this will be effecting the temperatures enough for it to massively increase the chance of E74 RROD.. You need to strip the console down and get the hoover out to remove the dust, compressed air wont help and if anything could make it worse.

Then there's the other big issue, the GPU's were fabbed by TMSC. TMSC were responable for Nvidia's GPU Failures, and it's believed this same issue effects the XBOX360's GPU from the same period. It's known that many GPU's on consoles which E74 RROD are done for, reballing/ reflowing/ towel trick doesn't always work. many people believe this to be the true cause of the RROD issues.

Then you have the 3rd issue, underneath the GPU heatsink is not only a GPU but also the ED-RAM both of which generate heat. It's known that in some cases there can be a slight height difference between the dies, and thanks to poor/ poorly applied thermal paste the ED-RAM runs hot. By simply replacing the thermal compound, i've had a console (3 years old) which saw a drop of 8°C on the GPU, and 21°C on the ED-RAM (fans @ 100%). I've also noticed the thermal compound they use sees a slighlt dropoff on consoles which are 3+ years old

Jaspers, The last revision of the old style console is known to be pretty much free of the E74 RROD issues.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our 360 RRODed after like 8 months, we got it fixed up, its been fine for the last like 1 or 2, gotta love microsoft fixing it for free.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our 360 RRODed after like 8 months, we got it fixed up, its been fine for the last like 1 or 2, gotta love microsoft fixing it for free.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit: Ugh stupid bad gateway crap

4 posts are you ******* kidding me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1