MY COMPUTER IS TREDEMENTOUSLY SLOW

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what kind of test could I do to be sure it's bad sector problem?
I don't do this since ages, in the old times I would have say to use some surface scanning tool and SMART, nowadays I am not sure what tools are good for that.
Take a look at this: http://hddscan.com/
It looks kind of promising.

I also would run a speed test for the disk, back on the day I used HDDTach for this, I suppose there are new tools nowadays. EDIT: It seems hddscan can also do this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

once again, how do i test?
For RAM look for memtest and install it on a usbstick, you need to boot from said stick.

EDIT: Better use memtest86, as memtest86+ has not been updated in 3 years and will most probably not work well with new hardware.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll want to leave memtest running overnight or some other extended period where you're not using your computer; it does an extensive amount of testing and obviously 16GB is going to make it take longer. Generally RAM errors result in the entire OS crashing but it's not something to automatically rule out.

Again, if your HDD is reporting 100% activity, it'd be very useful to be able to see what's the source of that activity.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm unable to open hddscan :(
I downloaded it, extracted it. and yet, when I open hddscan.exe, nothing happens.
When I look in task manager, I see it stuck at 8.3 mo of ram usage.
but it doesn'T do anything else

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
okay, so, I'd say that about 10% of my hard drive is damaged according to HD tune pro, when scanning with the health scanner.
Should I change of HDD?
If it isn't that bad, then what could be the cause then?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
okay, so, I'd say that about 10% of my hard drive is damaged according to HD tune pro, when scanning with the health scanner.
Should I change of HDD?
If it isn't that bad, then what could be the cause then?
I'm not familiar with that software, but Try running CrystalDiskInfo: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
What does it say under Health Status? And are any of the items listed in red? If so, which ones? On a HDD in good condition the health status should be good and all the items should be blue. If that's not the case, your HDD is probably dying. I had a dying HDD in my desktop not long ago, and while it still worked, Windows was really sluggish and every disk diagnostic software had red warning lights everywhere.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would test with Linux first, even just running a live cd session, just to see if it's not Windows 10 or a virus/malware hogging all the resources.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah change the HDD

Are you actually using Windows 10 with a legit license or are you using a test version ?
I remember that a few test versions of W10 had the habit to strain the HDD to 100% which made the computer barely unusable.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
A Very similar problem happened, run the Defrag Tool in Windows, and the Checkdisk. That may help, and clean up some Temporary files, programs, etc.

I recommend using my Favorite Anti-Virus, 360 Total Security.

EDIT:

I recommend upgrading to Windows 10, it's quite liter than Windows 7.
Woops, didn't see that you were running Windows 10.
And disable all, or most of your Startup Programs. Through msconfig via Run. You can just use the Task manager.

I found out my Laptop's HDD was actually Corrupt, specifically 2 Pages (Or two Sectors).
Preventing it from even Formatting!

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so please guys dont tell me what to do if you dont know what you are talking about.
Uninstall windows 10 and install 7, problem solved? Really? I would really go with à hdd problem, im now unable to start my computer, it gets stuck at the loading screen for choosing windows user.

I'll change m'y hdd asap sincères m'y computer crashed during the hdd health test. It reached about 50%of total scan and about 20% of those were damaged.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Had the exact same problem on my pc last year, disk usage shows 100%, but there's no mb/s write info showing, right? Is an HDD problem, change HDD and you'll see de diference.

Guaranteed

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Had the exact same problem on my pc last year, disk usage shows 100%, but there's no mb/s write info showing, right? Is an HDD problem, change HDD and you'll see de diference.

Guaranteed
Not necessarily - a program can easily hog the disk without reading or writing many MB/s to it, just by doing random reads/writes all over the disk making it spend most of the time seeking. Torrent clients do this a lot :P

Okay so please guys dont tell me what to do if you dont know what you are talking about.
Uninstall windows 10 and install 7, problem solved? Really? I would really go with à hdd problem, im now unable to start my computer, it gets stuck at the loading screen for choosing windows user.

I'll change m'y hdd asap sincères m'y computer crashed during the hdd health test. It reached about 50%of total scan and about 20% of those were damaged.
If 20% of your disk was damaged, I doubt you'd even get to the login screen, and it could be filesystem corruption as well. I suggested running CrystalDiskInfo, as it should be able to tell you instantly if your drive is dying without even running a test, just by reading the SMART info.
I suggest trying to reinstall Windows before spending money on a new drive, maybe it's just corruption. Buying new hardware should be your last resort after you've exhausted every other option.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Yes, change it ASAP. Don't perform further tests. Try to recover all data you can and throw it away into some garbage can far away.
Using that disk again will produce data loss and headaches.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, just bought a 3tb hdd on amazon for 120 $ hope it is a good deal :)
I already threw this hdd crap away.
Now im waiting to receive my new hdd that should arrive tuesday.
Thanks for helping me everyone :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo