Misc How do I stop windows 10 from getting corrupted files

lopez1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My windows install always has a way of getting something corrupted, like I would literally just be watching youtube and something will corrupt. I've re-installed windows at least 4 times now and I even updated the bios. Even after I tried to switch to windows 11 this thing will still be slow as hell. Some sort of DLL file is always getting screwed and then when I try to do a simple task like open a single .exe file, or even just boot into windows, it takes up to 6 minutes to load. When I am in a program, ex. Steam, and then click something like browse or whatever to choose a file from my computer, the whole app will stop responding and then crash. If a program opens another window, like if I click download on a game in steam, it will also just stop responding and crash. I've tried that command prompt stuff to try and fix the corrupted files, yet every single command I type will come back with "0 files were affected" or whatever, basically saying nothing is wrong. Another thing is that when I try to delete something in file explorer, or create a file or folder, nothing will appear or delete until I right click and click refresh. Please for the love of god how can I fix this it is annoying as hell.

Last edited by lopez1324,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It must be some kind of witchcraft. To be more precise, it is most likely a curse.
This is rather fabulous, but quite common phenomenon.
Your best bet is to burn your computer just in case. And douse everything around with holy water after it.

But seriously, start by checking hardware. At least check RAM (MemTest), HDD (S.M.A.R.T.).
For software side - find a way to get/read crash/error reports and study them.
Nothing just happens without cause.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get a more accurate answer to the question asked without providing any specific information.

By the way, how old is that computer? Maybe it's just too ancient for Win10/Win11?

lopez1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It must be some kind of witchcraft. To be more precise, it is most likely a curse.
This is rather fabulous, but quite common phenomenon.
Your best bet is to burn your computer just in case. And douse everything around with holy water after it.

But seriously, start by checking hardware. At least check RAM (MemTest), HDD (S.M.A.R.T.).
For software side - find a way to get/read crash/error reports and study them.
Nothing just happens without cause.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get a more accurate answer to the question asked without providing any specific information.

By the way, how old is that computer? Maybe it's just too ancient for Win10/Win11?
It's not that old, like 2015 maybe? It came bundled with Windows 10.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My windows install always has a way of getting something corrupted, like I would literally just be watching youtube and something will corrupt. I've re-installed windows at least 4 times now and I even updated the bios. Even after I tried to switch to windows 11 this thing will still be slow as hell. Some sort of DLL file is always getting screwed and then when I try to do a simple task like open a single .exe file, or even just boot into windows, it takes up to 6 minutes to load. When I am in a program, ex. Steam, and then click something like browse or whatever to choose a file from my computer, the whole app will stop responding and then crash. If a program opens another window, like if I click download on a game in steam, it will also just stop responding and crash. I've tried that command prompt stuff to try and fix the corrupted files, yet every single command I type will come back with "0 files were affected" or whatever, basically saying nothing is wrong. Another thing is that when I try to delete something in file explorer, or create a file or folder, nothing will appear or delete until I right click and click refresh. Please for the love of god how can I fix this it is annoying as hell.
Have you considered that your drive might be faulty?
Check SMART info with CrystalDiskMark.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A. Attempt, ATTEMPT! To free up some space, that may affect PC running speed.

B. Get a completely new PC [YOU DON'T HAVE TOO, IM NOT SAYING TO SPEND YOUR MONEY]

C. Stop going to... 'suspicious' websites and downloading 'malicious' files, that can also affect the PC critically.

D. Ignore my advice and listen to someone else. [If im wrong on the options, dont listen to 14 yr olds then.]
Post automatically merged:

Have you considered that your drive might be faulty?
Check SMART info with CrystalDiskMark.

how do you change color in the text? i saw you change the color on your signature. :]

Last edited by VoidStarbreakOfficial,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't use programs like C-Cleaner then it's likely the culprit is the HDD is the issue.

Backup the data/content you care about, buy a new HDD/SSD, insert it, install the OS, and things should run fine.

Side note, I'll be installing 11 on a 4GB RAM laptop, but it's a debloated version just to see if I'll somewhat like it (I absolutely hated it with all the built-in garbage last time). :P

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't use programs like C-Cleaner then it's likely the culprit is the HDD is the issue.

Backup the data/content you care about, buy a new HDD/SSD, insert it, install the OS, and things should run fine.

Side note, I'll be installing 11 on a 4GB RAM laptop, but it's a debloated version just to see if I'll somewhat like it (I absolutely hated it with all the built-in garbage last time). :P

Probably the hard drive as the culprit for OP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol