multiMAN beginner's guide

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials & FAQs' started by Cyan, May 2, 2011.

May 2, 2011

multiMAN beginner's guide by Cyan at 11:28 PM (1,036,900 Views / 4 Likes) 309 Comments

• Newcomer

Geeman883 New Member

Message Count:
    Lithuania
    Hey guys! I'm having a problem with running Heavy Rain without a disc. I have the pkg fix but I'm having problems with shadow copying. More exactly - I don't even know how to do it. I have tried some guides, but I couldn't understand them. Can anyone give me a detailed step by step guide on shadow copying?

• Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    I think you are talking about installing a PSN-like icon on the XMB.
    did you try this guide yet? http://gbatemp.net/topic/290011-guide-to-install-game-as-psn-like-icon-on-xmb/
    • Newcomer

Geeman883 New Member

Message Count:
    Lithuania
    Thaks Cyan! Does this work for LittleBigPlanet 2 too?
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I don't know, the compatibility list have a "?" in the ebootFix column.
    If you try, you can add your result to the list to help other users.

unfortunately, you can't apply updates/DLC when using this method.
    You need to play the game in version 1.0.
    • Newcomer

Geeman883 New Member

Message Count:
    Lithuania
    ok, thanks a lot! I don't really need to update anything so I'h happy with what I have :D
    • Newcomer

cuonghuutran New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hi, I am a novice PS3 user. Just bought PS3 used with CFW 3.55 KMEAW. It does not play SACD or CD though. The CD-ROM icon displays the title "BDROM Redirection Reset 12/19/2011". When I selected this option (with X button), the screen just went blank. I think the seller deleted games from the drives and probably Multiman files -- it is just my guess.

I just want to be able to play SACD. How do I restore the functionality to play SACD. (I read that multiMAN creates symbolic link to "virtual" CD-ROM drive so that users can play games from HDD)? Does re-installing multiMAN solve it and if so, do I need lv2 or BDMENU?

System/PS3 shows 3.55 firmware. PS3 model is CECHA01. Many thanks.

--Cuong
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    The drve redirection is only stored in memory. If you switch off the console, the redirection is not active anymore and the next time you switch on it will not be active.

The "BDROM Redirection Reset" is used to reset the redirection by software, it's just a quick way to prevent you from powering OFF/ON the console every time.

I don't have any SACD to test, but I guess the Audio CD are in the Audio column, not in the Game column on the XMB, like the bluray/dvd are in the Video column.

Reinstalling multiMAN will not help in reseting the redirection. if you launched the "Reset" homebrew, then the redirection is already disabled and the audio disc should work.

When you insert the CD, what happens on the PS3 menu (XMB)? Do you see a new disc-icon appearing in the games column?
    • Newcomer

cuonghuutran New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks for your response. That's very helpful. When inserting a CD, I don't see any new disc-icon in the games column or in audio column or in any column. I set auto-play to be on and that does not help. Does this mean HW problem (CD drive is dead). I am running stock FW 3.55 now.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Do you have a PS3 game to test the drive?

Another way to test it would be with homebrew.
    You can install Showtime or multiMAN (which has a Showtime version included).
    See my guide to install multiMAN.
    Both can access and browse disc content.

You can also try File Explorer homebrew (from Comgenie) or a FTP server homebrew (to browse PS3 connected devices content).

It all depend on which type of homebrew you are familiar with.
    I think multiMAN is a good compromise as it as all the features (File explorer, FTP servers, Media player, game manager).
    • Newcomer

cuonghuutran New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    THanks again. I inserted a game, CD, DVD and the player did not show any change.
    I installed multiMAN. Very nice package. Folder explorere shows 3 USB , 2 HDD, screen ... but no DVD or CD device. Does this mean the DVD drive is busted?

• Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I think in multiMAN there's now an option to enable file browsing of the disc drive (used to dump CD/DVD/PS1/PS2/BD iso).
    I don't know if it has to be enabled to access the drive (it works only on 3.55, and I'm on 3.41 so I can't test).

But if even PS3 games don't work on XMB, then it's probably a broken drive.
    • Newcomer

cuonghuutran New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I can't find that option to dump the content.

My puzzle is how come the disc drive does not show up in the folder/file browser. If the drive has dirty lens,scanning for devices should still see it, i.e., the device still shows up in the folder explorer but its content cannot be read. It's possible that the disk drive or the drive controller is totally dead and thus that's why device scanning does not see the disk drive. I might need to replace both the drive and the controller?

Thanks.

• Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France

godreborn New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    it could be a failed disc drive. if so, look up how to remarry a bd to ps3. it will tell u what to do to replace the drive. though, I'd suggest reinstalling kmeaw or another cfw, like rebug, first to be sure. it could be software related, but without knowing more information, it's hard to say.

donelwero New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Hi, I've been looking everywhere ofr info. I'm new in the PS3 stuff.

I'm trying to play MGS4 from my external hdd using the latest multiman with CFW 3.55 KMEAW.

I did split the big file, when I try to launch the game from multiman it asks me to install game data. Installed game data and then goes to XMB normally, the problem is that when I try to run the game from the XMB it returns to XMB with an 80010006 error.
    I dont have any disc inside the PS3, there is no game data to delete in the XMB. Could that be the problem?

One thing I did notice is that I can't find the cached data inside dev_hdd0/game/ for this game. But if I go to the Delete cache game data from multimans xmb the cache data for the game is there. So, how or where can I find that file using the file manager?

What can I do to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    the /game/ folder is the OFFICIAL folder, don't touch anything manually inside this folder if you don't understand what you are doing.

The dumped games are located in /gameS/ (with an S).
    This folder (games) is the place where your games are copied to internal HDD by multiman when you select "copy to HDD".
    it store the full game's files.

But, what you are looking is not the game, but the cache folder.
    it's located in this folder:
    /dev_hdd0/game/BLES80608/USRDIR/game_cache/[TITLE_ID]/

multiMAN is installed in /game/, like all other official installed games, homebrew, psn, game data you see at the top of the Game column on XMB, etc.

what do you want to do with the cache file?
    You don't need to touch it manually.

You just need to put a disc in your drive.
    whatever disc, even audio disc, CD rom, DVD, bluray, anything, I'm sure you have plenty of them, just put a disc in the drive.
    It's written every where in the guide to keep a disc in the drive, and you even mentioned that you didn't have one (because you know it's a cause of problem), so, why not first try with a disc in the drive? you don't have any?

donelwero New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Edit: tried with a music cd in the tray. When trying to start the game it goes back to XMB with the 80010006 error. Any clues?
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I don't know.
    It's marked as working fine on the compatibility list.

You don't have enough space on your internal HDD to place it fully on internal?
    It should work from external with split files cached.

Are the other games working fine from external?

donelwero New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Yes other games are working fine from external. The internal hdd of my ps3 is 40Gb. But I have only like 20 free. I only have dante's inferno game on the internal hd, I'm pretty sure that even if I erase it, I wouldnt have enough free space for MGS4.

I'll try getting the game again from somewhere else. Cause I just don't know what else to do.
    • Newcomer

PedroGomezGoldin New Member

Message Count:
    hey cyan! long time no see, i have a question to ask you, there are a few games that claim that will only work with a bd inside the ps3. For instance the assassins creed brotherhood says that if you dont play it with a bd inside it might corrupt the internal hdd. anyhow my question is, on top of having a bd inside the ps3, should i activate the "emulate bd rom" option on the multiman???

is it the same or it isnt wether i activate or not that emulate bd rom option with the square button on the multiman menu.... (i have it on the external....)
    cheers!

SPONSORED LINKS