multiMAN beginner's guide

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials & FAQs' started by Cyan, May 2, 2011.

May 2, 2011

multiMAN beginner's guide by Cyan at 11:28 PM (945,966 Views / 4 Likes) 309 Comments

GLiTcH New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've been trying to find info on Showtime. Can I use an external NTFS drive on it?

• Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    I didn't follow showtime development, but I'm pretty sure you can use NTFS for reading only.
    I don't know if showtime support it directly, you may have to launch it from multiMAN after enabling the PFS driver.

kylster mich weich töten

Message Count:
    United States
    Anyone know if you can play PSX iso from MultiMan w/o the need of Cobra Dongle? If you can how & where should I put the ISO files.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    on old version, there were a test for PS2 games, but nothing for PS1.
    I don't know if new version of multiMAN can do it, I'm still using the 2.x, and still on official firmware 3.41 (PSX required 3.55)

I suggest that you read all the changelog since v4.x (3.x is Cobra only), and see if you find what you are looking for.
    If there's a mention to PS1 launch, you will be able to learn more informations on the official forum, looking at the time around the added feature.
    • Newcomer

windrider New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Excellent tutorial cyan..

Just wondering if its my browser or is there some coding issues in your OP :)

Twiffles танковые победы

Message Count:
    Germany
    The formatting broke when the site was moved to XenForo from IPB.
    windrider likes this.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Yes, sorry for the bad presentation.
    I'll try to fix it, but I'm dependent to the new forum (we just changed it and a lot of old message are broken now).

Thank you for the compliment :)
    Though, it only cover Game Manager, and it a bit old (was written for multiMAN 2.0), but it's a good base to understand the options and interfaces.
    It doesn't cover the desktop mode, that could be a good addition to the guide.
    • Newcomer

David Prado New Member

Message Count:
    Costa Rica
    Hi Cyan,

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

Just a couple of questions, I updated to Rogero 4.30 v2.04 and Multiman 04.18. Do I still need to put BDEMU inside MultiMAN folder? Can I use the old BDEMU v2 with this new CFW?

Thanks in advance.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I don't know if new custom firmware contains a payload.
    The BDEMU is used to emulate the Bluray access (rewriting path of the drive to another folder).

Some custom firmware already have that rewriting feature and don't need the BDEMU file.
    if not present in the custom Firmware, you will need this file.

You can try multiMAN without installing/adding BDEMU file, and see if you can mount games.
    if it doesn't work, add the file and test again.

Note: You can see which payload is loaded in memoty inside multiman > Settings > System Informations
    • Newcomer

TheNoobiHacker I am trying to hack the Wii U

Message Count:
    Denmark
    Great tutorial. I am new to hacking the PS3. :D Thank you for this epic work! :D

antiaverage New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    You say in the guide to never do a game update, but that's not true. I'm not sure it was ever true. Doing game updates is fine.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Doing a game update is fine as long as you don't wish to keep the console hacked.
    Updating from a game will just install the official firmware. that's all. Of course it's fine.

It says "if you update, you will loose your hack". I thought it was clear enough that it means "if you want to keep using multiMAN, don't update to a firmware which can't be hacked".
    I guess I should write to not update past a Firmware version which can be hacked?

The guide was written when 3.55 was the last possible Firmware to hack the console.
    If you updated past 3.55, then you lost the ability to install custom firmwares, you lost the ability to downgrade and lost the ability to launch homebrew.
    Of course it's not a problem if you can downgrade using hardware flashers.

Now there are custom firmwares on 4.x so most game won't ask you to upgrade anyway.

mechadylan New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Attempting to update mM is yielding "server errors." Any news, @Cyan?
    • Newcomer

akariz New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    WOW, Thx so much for tutorials, if i put so much effort in school as i do here, i would be well sorted...once again ths very much...you rock dude!!!:)
    • Newcomer

akariz New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Same here as well ???
    Regarding game update, isnt there any other way without having to install "rogero" i like my multiman 4.01 version with cf.3.55, stability is wicked and no major problems...

the other thinh is that by installing rogero i would need to upgrade to ps3 version 4.20, what happens then if i need to downgrade ?

If any solution out their that dont require rogero, please forward link do do some more reading

thx and regards all

akariz
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I don't know about the server's problem (I don't use multiMAN or my games online).
    I've read in another thread that "the server problem will probably never be fixed". but I don't know why, nor what the problem is.

if your problem is for game's update, you can always find them with computer's software, or directly on websites (such as http://yifan.lu/psn/ or http://www.ps3pkg.de.vu/).
    With softwares, you can check which Firmware version you need before downloading, but most games can be patched so trying the latest is not a bad idea.
    I can check such software on PS3hax if you need, but it should be easy to find (just check that website too).

I'm still on 3.41 with multiMAN 2.07, it works fine for all my games (except my retail disc of Ni no Kuni ;_; )
    I'm patching my games with Eboot_Fix (not all of them worked, but the one I want to play does).

If the server problem is for updating multiMAN, you can download latest version manually by checking the official release website or any website with some links.

After installing Rogero, you can always downgrade back to 3.55 if you want. but read carefully before upgrading, to be sure you know what to do in case you want to downgrade later.
    • Newcomer

akariz New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Thx for tip Cyan,

i have just recently jailbreak my ps3 using your tutorial so this is another changllange, but principle is to play the games.
    i have done some reading on dowgradin (which implies, buying eflasher) and then messin a bit more with the console (not sure as seen in a lot of post, ppl doing this brick their -s3 more often then doing the jaibreak method)

i think ill go with 2nd option and check for the official rlease and also do a bit more reading on patching the games.

thx for reply

p.s. can you forward llink to download eboot_fix and md5 check software?..
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    you don't need a hardware flasher to downgrade is you are on CFW.
    the flasher is required only to downgrade from official firmware >3.55

If you are on CFW, you need to enableQAFlag, go to hidden menu to install a downgrader.pup (if you are on Rogero), or directly install 3.55 (if you are on ReBug).

This guide and the hacking guide we have on gbatemp are both a bit old.
    There are new information you should read in the main PS3 hacking section (latest discussions are about updating to Rogero or Rebug 4.40, which is better/why etc.)
    check what mschumacher69 is posting too, he knows a lot about PS3 hacking.

I can't link to Eboot_Fix here as it contains PS3 keys.
    That program was provided with old MultiMAN packages (2.x).
    You could also find a (different?) Eboot_Fix program in Aldo's PS3 tools. (Aldo's tool)

For MD5 checking, I'm using HashCalc
    • Newcomer

akariz New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure about that, this is waht its showing on my multiman screen:

Multiman version: 0.4.04.01
    PS3 firmware. 3.55 [SC-8 i HErmes]
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    This informations only tells you that you are using Hermes payload Syscall8 (it means, you chose Hermes in the BDEMU settings), and you are on CFW 3.55

I edited my post above : If you want to upgrade and choose a CFW between Rogero or ReBug, check the hacking section. there are a lot of informations.