Hacking Minimum requirements to run Wiiware/VC WADs on vWii

MrLahey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi everyone! I've been researching softmodding my Wii U for over a week now and while I have the basics down, I feel like a lot of the tutorials are overkill because they are geared towards running full Wii ISOs off of a USB drive and running other homebrew apps.

The point of this thread is to confirm the BARE MINIMUM required to play downloaded VC/Wiiware WAD files on a Wii U - not Wii ISOs, GameCube games, other homebrew apps, etc.

I found this thread here which seems to be the best starting point:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

So my first question is, once Homebrew is installed, can you just install a WAD manager such as Multi-Mod-Manager if you only want to install and play Wiiware/VC wad files or must you use "FIX94s d2x cIOS Installer 2.2 mod" to install your choice of d2x?

Next, most tutorials recommend installing Wiiflow or USB Loader to play games off of a USB drive. Well, what if you don't want to bother with a USB drive and just want to play games in WAD format off of an SD card?

It is my understanding that installing WADs to the internal (512mb) NAND is one thing, but in order to play them off of an SD card you must use the "IOS80" patch:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/patched-ios80-installer-for-vwii-allows-sd-menu-custom-channels.344882/

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to mess with the vWii IOS then make sure to back them up first. Too many people post of having problems with their Wii U not updaing or vWii gets screwed up because they "patched" or install unofficial IOS to the vWii.

MrLahey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you're going to mess with the vWii IOS then make sure to back them up first. Too many people post of having problems with their Wii U not updaing or vWii gets screwed up because they "patched" or install unofficial IOS to the vWii.

Thanks SickPuppy, yes, I saw it was recommended to make backups. So does that mean then in order to just play games in WAD format one must patch their IOSes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.