Minecraft adds Level System, more penalties on death.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a recent interview conducted between PC Gamer and Notch (the "mastermind" behind Minecraft), Notch tells the world that Minecraft will have a leveling and hunger system.

xpbarlol.jpg

Yesterday, Notch posted an image of a massive mountain on his Twitter feed. But that’s not all. Look closely at said image. See the bar that looks a bit like an XP bar? It is an XP bar, but it also brings something extra – permadeath. In a forthcoming update to Minecraft, not only will you be able to gain levels. You’ll lose your levelling progress if you die.

“I’m a big roguelike fan,” explains Notch. “It’s really fun. The idea is that you level up really, really fast. You can grind away and level up fast if you want to, or you can just play as normal and level up that way. The longer you play, the bigger the risk of dying becomes. It’s the part that really works. If it feels like it’s too harsh, we might make it half or something like that. But the fact that you lose everything – you lose all your inventory anyways.”[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Nice, making the game a little harder on the gamer, but more rewarding. I wonder if he'll lose his fanbase, though. Minecraft was loved for being simple.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could still just play on Peaceful and avoid all random deaths that way.
Or play on proper creative mode when he finishes that if you just like the building aspect.

Also, this kind of thing is already possible in like, 5 different mods.
Poor notch will never catch up feature wise to the modding community.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fortunately, Notch has acknowledged this and will be adding real "legitimate" modding support. It'll be a lot easier to do, and updates won't kill all your mods.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Fortunately, Notch has acknowledged this and will be adding real "legitimate" modding support. It'll be a lot easier to do, and updates won't kill all your mods.
Please and thank you. I hated having to re-DL and reinstall all of my patches every time I got a new update.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, we probably won't be seeing real modding support for a while; Notch needs to go through a lot of legal hoops to make the game that open without losing a lot of money.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
Could still just play on Peaceful REAL MEN TAKE CREEPER ASSASSINATIONS, SKELETON AMBUSHES, ZOMBIES GANG UPS, AND SPIDER CAMPINGS LIKE A MAN! XD

Actually, Most sandbox games function this way(gmod for example has weapons and items from other source games Loooonnnnggg before garry implements them.) the only difference is notch is trying to provide a game that's a entertaining and deep game in vanilla (no mods) and mods only add-on to it. (try playing gmod without any mods,expanding alyx's boobs are only fun for so long
tongue.gif
) why do you think half of the minecraft community doesnt believe in mods?

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The XP loss and starvation aspects of the game are part of the new "Hardcore" difficulty setting. When you die, you MUST start over. This can be done by deleting the region files upon death. If you were to take the Level.dat file from a world save, copy it, and paste it into a new world save...you would have the exact same world that you had before, with a catch. Everything you built, mined, obtained, and blew up, would be gone like it never even happened! Yeah...I'm gonna stay off the Hardcore difficulty.

New Items:
+Chicken (Food)

New Features:
Hardcore Difficulty setting
-Brings Starvation into the game, You MUST eat or you WILL DIE.
-Exp Leveling system. (Possibly a runescape-like system where you must be Level 50 to wield a Diamond tool or something.)
Critical Hits (This is starting to sound more like an RPG now.)

I guess notch was not satisfied with the sandbox action/adventure game so he made it a sandbox RPG game.

I mean come-on! Dungeons, Experience, Randomly generated towns? R.P.G.!
[When the Adventure update comes out, I'm gonna raid every last town and kill every last man, woman, and child, just for the lulz!]

Yarr, I be a naughty pirate and use an unlicensed, PIRATED copy of Minecraft. I do this because my computarrr be a bit tee crappy fer Minecraft to run proparrly. Do ye know the amount of LAG I get from frequent mob spawns in the Harrd difficulty? Too much fer my taste, yarr!

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm DEFINITELY excited for the addition hunger. It'll be a great challenge, as I like playing for survival more than the creative side.

1.8 is going to be the best update so far, mainly because it adds more to survival and exploration, which are my 2 favorite things in the game.
biggrin.gif

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
Unfortunately, we probably won't be seeing real modding support for a while; Notch needs to go through a lot of legal hoops to make the game that open without losing a lot of money.
He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Losing money? People still have to buy the game to use those mods.
Pirates? People can pirate the game even if they never touch a single mod.

There is NO reason why he shouldn't add proper mod support.

Except perhaps being completely embarrassed that anything he adds will have been already done by modders or simply done better by modders.
And not making more money off of modders like he originally planned.

Zantigo said:
QUOTE(Zarcon @ Jul 21 2011, 04:09 AM) Could still just play on Peaceful REAL MEN TAKE CREEPER ASSASSINATIONS, SKELETON AMBUSHES, ZOMBIES GANG UPS, AND SPIDER CAMPINGS LIKE A MAN! XD

Actually, Most sandbox games function this way(gmod for example has weapons and items from other source games Loooonnnnggg before garry implements them.) the only difference is notch is trying to provide a game that's a entertaining and deep game in vanilla (no mods) and mods only add-on to it. (try playing gmod without any mods,expanding alyx's boobs are only fun for so long
tongue.gif
) why do you think half of the minecraft community doesnt believe in mods?
GMod is just a playground though.
Just like Minecraft Creative mode was.
But he's trying to compete in RPG/Adventure aspects in survival mode and he just won't ever be able to compete.

You know what he could easily do to expand on survival mode with minimal competition from modders?
Just add more craftable items and creatures.
That's it.
It would take next to no effort on his part and mods would work along side with these additions.

Instead now he's adding his own RPG mechanics which will interfere with other mods that do the same thing, likely better than his will, while probably breaking the game again like he usually does.

As for making a deep and enjoyable vanilla game...how about adding that promised proper mod support instead?
He even talked about supporting popular ones. You could just have a vanilla game launch and prompt you to download supported mods.
Want a levelling/RPG system?
Check off that mod to download/install.
Want random NPCs?
Check off that mod.
Etc.

In my opinion he should focus on adding on to and improving the core game.
Add more ways to build.
More things to build.
More items to find and mine.
More creatures to encounter.
More variety in general.
Then add proper mod support and support the really large impressive mods officially.

Right now there's no reason to explore. There's only a handful of items to find and you find them all really quickly.
The biomes aren't really varied enough to be interesting and the super awesome scenic areas all start looking the same after a while.
Not much in terms of creatures either, you can see pretty much all of them within an ingame day of starting a new game. (Unless you have one of the many fantastic mods that add new creatures...lots and lots of new creatures.)
Survival is a non-issue too. There's what, like 5 or 6 dangerous creatures? All really easy to avoid/kill.
Creepers are a non-threat since you can hear and avoid them easily.
The only time they should kill you is if they sneak up on you in a cave or spawn behind you or something.
And already cheap deaths will become even more annoying with more to lose now.
Hunger? I have 5 double-chests full of cooked pork...and only because I stopped killing the poor pigs.
Not to mention all the bread and fish I have.
Fish I fished because I ran out of things to do.

I'm rambling now, but I just wish he'd focus on adding things that would be universally useful, interesting, and would work with the many mods out there rather than compete with modders by adding features they've already added.
Or just add proper mod support.
Or just add a full fledged Creative Mode again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1