Hardware MIND BLOWN! Maybe the Best Damn GC/Wii U controllers EVER!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ That certainly doesn't look like it's analogue triggers at all.

How to contact PDP:
America - http://support.pdp.com/ics/support/...3&_referrer=http://www.pdp.com/info/contactUs (either send them a ticket or online support)
Europe - [email protected]

I checked on YouTube for useful videos but there was like only two and none of them were helpful to identify the problem. I certainly don't want to buy it and then return it.

You cant exactly say that. Look closely at ZR on the Mario controller. It looks analoge. I could be wrong. I just wish the Chinese knockoff companies would simply make a red/blue, green/blue, Yoshi and Peach color controllers so we can add our own logos.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This controller emulates the classic controller / classic controller pro.
The ZL and ZR triggers on the classic controller are not analog. The wiimote only sends them as single bits (on or off) and any games that read them can only see them as digital buttons. There is no way for them to be analog values without breaking all existing games.

From the pictures of the HoriPad controllers, they got it right; the analog triggers are L+R instead of ZL+ZR.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This controller emulates the classic controller / classic controller pro.
The ZL and ZR triggers on the classic controller are not analog. The wiimote only sends them as single bits (on or off) and any games that read them can only see them as digital buttons. There is no way for them to be analog values without breaking all existing games.

From the pictures of the HoriPad controllers, they got it right; the analog triggers are L+R instead of ZL+ZR.

You're half correct. The Classic Controller HAS analog triggers. The Classic Controller PRO does not. This and the fact that the GameCube controller has analog triggers are reasons why many of us are questioning the PDP controllers.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're half correct. The Classic Controller HAS analog triggers. The Classic Controller PRO does not. This and the fact that the GameCube controller has analog triggers are reasons why many of us are questioning the PDP controllers.
I suggest you read what I wrote again.
I said ZL and ZR on the classic controller are not analog. This is what the "sliding" triggers on the PDP pad are labelled as. Therefore they cannot be analog. Whether the L and R triggers are analog is largely irrelevant because they're in the wrong locations on the PDP FP (and have the wrong shape) compared to a gamecube controller.
On the other hand the bottom set of triggers on the HoriPad ARE labelled as L and R, so they most likely are analog - at least somebody knows what they're doing.

Lol @ the rep in that video lying through her teeth. Classic controller sticks have shit sensitivity compared to GC controllers: the left stick has only one quarter of the original resolution while the right stick is even worse at one eighth, from the sounds of things their sticks aren't even good enough to match that.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you read what I wrote again.
I said ZL and ZR on the classic controller are not analog. This is what the "sliding" triggers on the PDP pad are labelled as. Therefore they cannot be analog. Whether the L and R triggers are analog is largely irrelevant because they're in the wrong locations on the PDP FP (and have the wrong shape) compared to a gamecube controller.
On the other hand the bottom set of triggers on the HoriPad ARE labelled as L and R, so they most likely are analog - at least somebody knows what they're doing.

Lol @ the rep in that video lying through her teeth. Classic controller sticks have shit sensitivity compared to GC controllers: the left stick has only one quarter of the original resolution while the right stick is even worse at one eighth, from the sounds of things their sticks aren't even good enough to match that.

You're not getting what I'm saying. What the buttons are labeled as has no meaning at all. Just because the PDP triggers are labeled ZL and ZR, doesn't mean that they are not analog. Remember, the PDP GameCube controllers are advertised as being made for Wii U but compatible with Wii, obviously they would follow the Wii U labeling which has ZL and ZR in the same spot of the L and R buttons on Wii Classic Controllers. In the case of the HORI pad, yes they have L and R in the "main trigger" location but the buttons obviously look digital in contrast to PDP's ZL and ZR which have a partial GameCube L and R shape. If ZL and ZR on the PDP controllers are not analog, then they obviously are shaped well enough to fool anyone. Frankly we wont really know until someone from PDP support says something or people get these things into their hands.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
M2K asked about the analog/digital RL buttons at E3 and the rep basically said they were digital.

source (@1:30):

It's hard to tell if she actually knows about the product her company is producing, hell, she didn't even know Marth is part of Nintendo. "We're only doing Nintendo" and Marth isn't?

P.S.: Didn't the Wii Classic Controller have analogue triggers? I do recall it allowing to god either mid or all the way down when pressing it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to tell if she actually knows about the product her company is producing, hell, she didn't even know Marth is part of Nintendo. "We're only doing Nintendo" and Marth isn't?

P.S.: Didn't the Wii Classic Controller have analogue triggers? I do recall it allowing to god either mid or all the way down when pressing it.
Yes. the original Wii Classic Controller had analog triggers.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not getting what I'm saying. What the buttons are labeled as has no meaning at all. Just because the PDP triggers are labeled ZL and ZR, doesn't mean that they are not analog. Remember, the PDP GameCube controllers are advertised as being made for Wii U but compatible with Wii, obviously they would follow the Wii U labeling which has ZL and ZR in the same spot of the L and R buttons on Wii Classic Controllers. In the case of the HORI pad, yes they have L and R in the "main trigger" location but the buttons obviously look digital in contrast to PDP's ZL and ZR which have a partial GameCube L and R shape. If ZL and ZR on the PDP controllers are not analog, then they obviously are shaped well enough to fool anyone. Frankly we wont really know until someone from PDP support says something or people get these things into their hands.

So what you're saying is the ZL and ZR triggers on the PDP controller must be analog because they look just like the gamecube controller's triggers. Even though that would mean they're intentionally labelled incorrectly (causing confusion to anyone trying to match the buttons to on-screen instructions/game manuals) and there's a video of a PDP rep stating that they're digital buttons only, not analog.

Riiiiight.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you're saying is the ZL and ZR triggers on the PDP controller must be analog because they look just like the gamecube controller's triggers. Even though that would mean they're intentionally labelled incorrectly (causing confusion to anyone trying to match the buttons to on-screen instructions/game manuals) and there's a video of a PDP rep stating that they're digital buttons only, not analog.

Riiiiight.

As if that PDP rep had all the info. ZL and ZR are in the position of GameCube L and R. As a "Wii U" controller it makes sense to label the buttons in kind for new Wii U users while expecting traditional Nintendo fans to figure out, what's what. It's no different than using the Classic Controller Pro in Nintendont. ZL and ZR are mapped to GameCube L and R due to placement and shape, you are expected to put two and two together and equate Classic Pro R to GameCube Z.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's no different than using the Classic Controller Pro in Nintendont. ZL and ZR are mapped to GameCube L and R due to placement and shape, you are expected to put two and two together and equate Classic Pro R to GameCube Z.
Right, and the ZL and ZR buttons are NOT analog and do not work as analog triggers in Nintendont. They cannot return analog values in any possible way, because the protocol for the classic controller only allows for them to be digital buttons.
It's like somebody making a clone of the original NES gamepad with a control stick instead of a D-PAD; the games wouldn't be able to see it as an analog value because that's not how the pads were designed to communicate.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Ah shit they are really digital triggers:

Thank you for your inquiry about the Wii U controllers. They are going to have digital triggers. The reason for this is, Nintendo is using digital triggers for their controllers (as you mentioned), so we are making digital triggers for our controllers.

7rIoR1p.jpg

Well, at least I'm grateful they replied so I'm definitely not buying the PDP Wii U controller(s).

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clicky shoulder buttons.

There's still the NGC adapter so hope Nintendo of Japan/America/Europe confirm that what Nintendo of UK wasn't true.

It doesn't matter if the GameCube adapter only works for one game. We have a large homebrew scene and Nintendont. As long as the thing comes out, we're good

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It doesn't matter if the GameCube adapter only works for one game. We have a large homebrew scene and Nintendont. As long as the thing comes out, we're good
It does matter when you have zero access to Wii U Mode and the adapter works via USB. There are no USB controller drivers available for the Wii aside from those for dedicated custom controllers, you can't magically re-route input using pixie dust.

Reactions: gamefan5

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does matter when you have zero access to Wii U Mode and the adapter works via USB. There are no USB controller drivers available for the Wii aside from those for dedicated custom controllers, you can't magically re-route input using pixie dust.

Wait, you have a Wii U with no access to Wii U mode? How does that work? lol I'm assuming that you mean that vWii has no access to the Wii U extras but Nintendont can use USB controllers and the GameCube adapter works via USB. I'm sure things will get worked out. Have a little bit more faith.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o