Hardware MIND BLOWN! Maybe the Best Damn GC/Wii U controllers EVER!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'm not saying that the Wii is a bad console - I own one. I'm saying that it's discontinued and releasing official accessories for it at this point is absolutely pointless - how can that be misconstruded? :rofl2:

Nintendo released the best controller for GameCube and I'm glad they're bringing it back as I'd prefer to use NGC a million times over Wii U's Pro Controller or even the GamePad for games which isn't necessary.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo released the best controller for GameCube and I'm glad they're bringing it back as I'd prefer to use NGC a million times over Wii U's Pro Controller or even the GamePad for games which isn't necessary.

Gotta admit you don't beat the original though, congrats if you manage to somewhow, preserve all your GameCube controllers from a long era ago. You saved a lot of bucks. Yet I like to play in a "broader" pool of games. So I guess there is a taste for everyone now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Anyone would - the Wii U analog placement is still head-scratchingly stupid to me.

Reactions: SG and Xabring

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Anyone would - the Wii U analog placement is still head-scratchingly stupid to me.

It's not even the analogue stick that bothers me, I'm fine with the analogue, but the shoulder buttons being digital instead of analogue/triggers like they were on GameCube (and early Wii Classic Pro Controllers) is what's missing a lot from making it even better.

Oh well, better late than never.

Reactions: SG

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not even the analogue stick that bothers me, I'm fine with the analogue, but the shoulder buttons being digital instead of analogue/triggers like they were on GameCube (and early Wii Classic Pro Controllers) is what's missing a lot from making it even better.

Oh well, better late than never.
I think that the placement of the right analog and the function buttons is a real misfire - function buttons should always have priority placement over camera control and I think I'd have a really hard time getting used to the Wii U setup, much like I had a hard time getting used to the PlayStation setup in which the d-pad is where the left analog should be. Arguably the best controller setup around as of right now is the Xbox one, however I don't really fancy the triggers on those controllers, I prefer the Gamecube ones myself. On the other hand, the Gamecube pad lacked a second Z button. Nothing's perfect, I suppose. :rofl2:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I tried out the Xbox One controller at HMV and I really liked it but it was a bit too thick with its plastic but overall it was definitely an improvement over the 360 controller.

As I expect Microsoft to release Xbox One Slim in 2015/16 I hope they'll also slim down the controller too.

I've also tried PlayStation's 4 controller and it's pretty comfy, so between PS4 and Xbox One, I'll get a PS4 when the time comes (PS4 Slim with better design, please) and then lastly it'll be Xbox One (Slim, again please).

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they are really bringing back the GameCube controller industry? I honestly thought it would be Smash Bros-only.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So they are really bringing back the GameCube controller industry? I honestly thought it would be Smash Bros-only.

They know the fans want it and fans are willing to spend money on it so they're going along the ride.

I can't wait for Smash Bros. 4 and Wii U GameCube controller to be released.

So happy that "Wii GamecUbe" is a thing already. :P

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know whether the Gamecube controllers will be released in Europe?
They're on US Gamestop for $24.99 but I can't order them from there as it just suggests buying from the UK site (which doesn't have them).:cry:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Does anyone know whether the Gamecube controllers will be released in Europe?
They're on US Gamestop for $24.99 but I can't order them from there as it just suggests buying from the UK site (which doesn't have them).:cry:

$25 for each of these bad boys? What a steal!

I'd totally grab two of these (Mario & Yoshi).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Amazon UK has it for pre-orders with pics included.

MARIO (£20.99)

61ZBEFrXiPL._SL1224_.jpg

51YZ03sWoQL._SL1122_.jpg

PEACH (£20.99)

61f10iBCmXL._SL1214_.jpg

61ViI0QowvL._SL1104_.jpg

YOSHI (£19.85)

61IcV27qnJL._SL1140_.jpg

61HDxZRK8AL._SL1114_.jpg

Damn you Nintendo stop putting stuff up for pre-orders that I want to buy! :P

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
idk, maybe it's me, but I find these controllers downright ugly. Especially the high res pictures above reinforce that thought in me... ^

That said, I'm hoping the Wii U GameCube controller adapter will allow connected GameCube controllers to function as Classic Controllers, much like what these PDP incarnations are. I already have a truckload of different controllers:

1. Wii Remote Plus Mario
2. Wii Remote Plus Luigi
3. Wii Remote Plus Peach
4. Wii Remote Plus Yoshi
5. Wii Remote Plus Zelda (Skyward Sword Limited Edition)
6. Nunchuk, golden (Club Nintendo Japan)
7. Nunchuk, black
8. Wii U Pro Controller (2x)
9. Classic Controller Pro, black
10. Classic Controller (Monster Hunter G Limited Edition)
11. GameCube controller, Emerald Blue (Japan only)
12. Hori Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition Stick
13. Hori Mario Kart 8 wheel (Mario)
14. Hori Mario Kart 8 wheel (Luigi)
15. Wii Wheel, golden (Club Nintendo Japan)
16. Wii U GamePad

Don't need to buy these. Lol

Reactions: SG and finkmac

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I like the Yoshi one a lot.
Good thing they made the C Stick the same size and design as the Left one, although they still have to increase the size of the D-Pad to make it perfect for all-purpose gaming!

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys realized they've fucked up the triggers? On the original classic controller, L and R are analog and ZL/ZR are digital buttons. That's how all existing games expect classic controllers to work (the later "pro" models just send fake analog data when the L/R buttons are pressed)... so there's no way for the ZL/ZR triggers to work as analog sliders.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys realized they've fucked up the triggers? On the original classic controller, L and R are analog and ZL/ZR are digital buttons. That's how all existing games expect classic controllers to work (the later "pro" models just send fake analog data when the L/R buttons are pressed)... so there's no way for the ZL/ZR triggers to work as analog sliders.

Well, if the new Smash game lets you map the buttons as you please and save it to a profile like you could in Brawl this wouldn't be an issue for that game, which these controllers were clearly developed for anyway. But yes, just about any other game that utilizes the classic controller and allowed for analog input (on the Wii the number of these games were small, heck the Wii U doesn't even use analog triggers) wont be able to properly utilize the analog L and R triggers. I'm not sure how often (if at all) that will really be a problem. The problem will be playing games where you mean to push L or R and accidentally push ZL/ZR or vice versa.

All that aside, I think these controllers look fine in terms of color scheme and all of that. But really I don't understand why these aren't wireless Wii U pro controllers instead, you'd get rumble and lose the need to be tethered to a wiimote.

This. This is the controller they should be making. Do they want all my money? Because this is how you get all of my money:
tumblr_mqh54oQ5fN1svd4e4o1_1280.png

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if the new Smash game lets you map the buttons as you please and save it to a profile like you could in Brawl this wouldn't be an issue for that game, which these controllers were clearly developed for anyway.
That doesn't really make sense, even if you can remap the controls it doesn't change the physical sliding triggers (ZL/ZR) only registering as digital buttons rather than analog triggers. It's a straight-out design flaw, they obviously copied the layout of the wiiu pro/classic controller pro without bothering to check if the classic controller ZL/ZR triggers could return analog values (which they can't: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote/Extension_Controllers/Classic_Controller)
The only way around it would be if this pad functions like a new type of extension controller instead of like a classic controller, but then of course it wouldn't be backwards compatible with anything.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't really make sense, even if you can remap the controls it doesn't change the physical sliding triggers (ZL/ZR) only registering as digital buttons rather than analog triggers. It's a straight-out design flaw, they obviously copied the layout of the wiiu pro/classic controller pro without bothering to check if the classic controller ZL/ZR triggers could return analog values (which they can't: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote/Extension_Controllers/Classic_Controller)
The only way around it would be if this pad functions like a new type of extension controller instead of like a classic controller, but then of course it wouldn't be backwards compatible with anything.

You're talking as if the Wii had a lot of games that utilized analog triggers, I can't think of any worth mentioning, and there were only like 2 or 3 on the gamecube that were any good that made any use of it (which don't really matter cuz even though Devolution and perhaps someday Nintendont make use of bluetooth controllers, these were never intended to be controllers that you could use with GC games). My point still stands, for the game its designed for (Smash) it will work just fine, Smash doesn't utilize analog triggers, and allows you to map your buttons where you wish. Its a design flaw that will have next to no impact on the intended use of the controller. Hell, I have a Wii classic controller and a Wii Classic Pro controller, the classic controller never gets utilized because its more uncomfortable, and because the one benefit it has (analog triggers) never got utilized by any Wii games that I ever played on the thing.

Like I said before the flaw isn't the lack of analog triggers here, the flaw is swapping the Zs with Rs with where they should be, but again for its intended use of Smash, this is hardly a flaw as you can map your buttons as you wish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup