Hacking Might be years for another Kernal exploit (5.0+ firmware)

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Team Jungle and Team Executer has some internal integration. But good on them for making products with excellent support, and like you said Quicksilver88, we all spend money on the systems, software, accesories, and hacking/modding, Im pretty sure there was a sudden spike in 3DS sales from gateway, definately in NZ there has been, with them selling more at some shops since june, than for the previous financial year (apart from the xmas Rush, they didnt count december sales), so piracy would definately help the actual console developers with sales, just the fallout is the developers miss out, as its the games which are pirated
But if you think about it, they would have never bought the games anyways, since they wouldn't have bothered to buy a 3DS. But now that they have one, there is atleast some potential for them to buy a game or two. I'm of the belief that the majority of people who pirate, are people who don't generally have the money to spend on games for one reason or another, while the people who do, can't be bothered with things like this and often like to have physical cards for each of their games. Of course there are some who pirate for the hell of it, but I think that group is very small and is greatly made up for by the increased exposure the rest of the pirates bring to a game.

superboy137

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Smealum never found any exploits, why would he suddenly be the one to find them?

A great way to speed up the discovery of exploits is to do your own research. Grab a 4.5.0 system, check out Gateway's payload, and work your way from there...

Woops, completely forgot lol:lol:

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
im just going to comment on this part of your reply
if there is the ability for homebrew and running unsigned code, there will be piracy, the only way to prevent piracy on an exploited console is to prevent the execution of unsigned code which prevents homebrew and brings the question of why exploit the console to begin with?

As well, you have to remember that the end goal is homebrew, not piracy. If they discover an exploit, they may very well keep it to themselves until they make it reasonably difficult to use towards piracy.

Nothing will stop piracy. But, they'll try their best to, or at least to annoy those who do pirate. Take for example the homebrew channel flipping upside down if it detects certain IOSs used for piracy were installed.

I'm not against piracy, I pirate and do so often. Just stating the facts.

aclearersky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey just going to throw this out there before this thread turns into a full out war on why or why not piracy is good or bad, the mods already handed out warnings for individuals who argued about this. This is a hacking thread not a place to argue about the ethics of piracy. Not siding one way or the other lets just try and keep on topic. Even though this thread is total speculation and really doesnt add to anything of value.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a real shame that the hacking community is pretty much dead. When I mean dead I mean there is no new advances on the next gen consoles. It would be great if the people responsible for the Wii hacks or the ds flashcards where to come back. Then the hacking scene might explode again. Then again I don't think its out of there ability to do it for the 3ds or WiiU I think they are more afraid of the possible lawsuits that might follow from Nintendo. But then again I don't know the reason just some thoughts I thought I throw out there.

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a real shame that the hacking community is pretty much dead. When I mean dead I mean there is no new advances on the next gen consoles. It would be great if the people responsible for the Wii hacks or the ds flashcards where to come back. Then the hacking scene might explode again. Then again I don't think its out of there ability to do it for the 3ds or WiiU I think they are more afraid of the possible lawsuits that might follow from Nintendo. But then again I don't know the reason just some thoughts I thought I throw out there.

the hacking scene(more like cracking but i get what you are saying) is dying because consoles are getting harder and harder to crack, the tech that goes into these consoles are so complicated, it might take years for people to even understand how it works yet alone crack it open and modify the console

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's my take on this there will be no more exploits after 4.5 for a very long time if ever. Gateway developers are lying when they say they are working on supporting higher firmwares,but I also think with a 4.5 3ds they have complete control of it and will be able to bypass anything Nintendo does just like the ps3 with 3.55 firmware.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
This is NOT going to turn into another "Piracy is bad, mmkay?" argument. There are multiple topics based around that. Discussion of it here or anywhere else on the site is off topic and usually results in a flame war. Get back on topic, if you would please.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So? Just relase the apps on private torrent sites, along with the source. More than likely it will help develop a "legal" SDK in the future.

Historically that has never happened unless you count some of the megadrive and SNES stuff, though a lot of that was way after the fact and those systems are not the best for accepting compiled languages. Similarly the modern SDKs are not that useful as far as understanding the hardware goes; the DS one did not allow a custom ARM7 and so effectively no proper multicore, the 3d was largely abstracted away, sound was largely a format and networking was probably level 4 for the lowest you could reasonably get and most were worried with level 7.

It could happen but for my money it is already more likely to fracture the homebrew enthusiast community and it is not like such a thing is that big or healthy these days (why develop for the 3ds when you can develop for the far nicer to develop for and faster phone and tablet world?).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my take on this there will be no more exploits after 4.5 for a very long time if ever. Gateway developers are lying when they say they are working on supporting higher firmwares,but I also think with a 4.5 3ds they have complete control of it and will be able to bypass anything Nintendo does just like the ps3 with 3.55 firmware.

That's merely your opinion and not a factual statement; you cannot possibly know what is going to happen with the 3DS and the hacking scene and what they are capable of doing. Just sayin'.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If someone could find a way to downgrade the 3DS without a dump from a 4.5 or lower firmware, that would be huge. I even think it's better if it requires some hardware and some skills, that way it won't be as accessible and might discourage people that only wants to play pirated games. I have 13 3DS games and 10 wii u games and I'll keep encouraging Nintendo ... however, I really enjoy being able to "Unlock" the full potential of a console for homebrews and emus.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone could find a way to downgrade the 3DS without a dump from a 4.5 or lower firmware, that would be huge. I even think it's better if it requires some hardware and some skills, that way it won't be as accessible and might discourage people that only wants to play pirated games. I have 13 3DS games and 10 wii u games and I'll keep encouraging Nintendo ... however, I really enjoy being able to "Unlock" the full potential of a console for homebrews and emus.

It'd be pretty phenomenal if the 3DS were to be completely unlocked/hacked in that way, but I doubt full kernel access or homebrew apps are gonna be on there for quite some time. Downgrading the firmware with a a dump would also be a boon for many people.

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(why develop for the 3ds when you can develop for the far nicer to develop for and faster phone and tablet world?).

most of the people dont need that 90% of useless apps for HBC that we saw in Wii.
SD Loader and CFW should be enough. Just sayin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye