Hacking Might be years for another Kernal exploit (5.0+ firmware)

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The point is that although it works, it's fairly difficult and very impractical for most users (need to get flasher, soldering kit, etc. just for downgrading). I imagine that downgrading 3DS may be similarly difficult, if not more. As such, people may be more willing to get a new v4.5 3DS instead of fiddling with the hardware.

I think it's also worthwhile to consider the fact that 3DS with firmware below 4.5 is a "finite resource". Sure, there's still a lot of them circulating around the market, since any 3DS made before 2013 should be 4.5. However, that won't last forever. Eventually 3DS with 4.5 firmware will become virtually impossible to find. If 3DS still cannot be downgraded by then... well, then a lot of people will just be screwed.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's also worthwhile to consider the fact that 3DS with firmware below 4.5 is a "finite resource". Sure, there's still a lot of them circulating around the market, since any 3DS made before 2013 should be 4.5. However, that won't last forever. Eventually 3DS with 4.5 firmware will become virtually impossible to find. If 3DS still cannot be downgraded by then... well, then a lot of people will just be screwed.

It happens. Re: the 360 before RGH came out.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The save data and mset hax still exist up to current firmware. We only need a new Kernel exploit.

Comparing it to the PS3 is silly. With the PS3, Sony had completely reworked how the private key was stored. All Nintendo did here was patch a single exploit.

Reactions: Vappy

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What makes me sort of suspicous is people who are hacking/cracking things like 3DS but then say 'well I figured it out but I refuse to release it to the scene because I don't want my work used for piracy'. Makes no sense really. Their work is required for both homebrew and piracy, but they won't release it to the crowd interested in bringing homebrew.......and yet mysteriously a 'pirating' device like Gateway shows up. So I think these people that do find exploits that claim they won't release them very likely do sell them to or join teams (for money) such as Gateway.

Just a theory and I really don't give a damned as hey $$$ talks and BS walks.....I just find it a bit odd. Look at guys like C4ever (I realize he has probably made mega money in donations) and GeoHot who have truly released their work for free, add DarkAlex and WiiGator to that list as well. These are the real 'heroes' of the scene and guys that just post videos and act like they have something but you can't have it sort of annoy me....keep it to yourself and sell it to the HK crowd. If you aren't goig to share then don't go dangling carrots in our faces!
Some are game developers, if people found out who they were they would be fired.... Especially those who work on 3DS titles. Tho i agree about the "dangling carrots".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does "kernel exploit" implies and means?

Very short version is on a properly set up machine that people actually code to (so not most of pre windows XP windows and afterwards a lot of it is still a bit suspect) you can cut access off to various parts of hardware and types of operations. The nomenclature can change a tiny bit but generally kernel level represents a far lower level with more access to the hardware where user/userland levels have a far harder time getting access to the hardware in any sort of unrestricted way, this is why people are not looking too hard at games for exploits right now.
There are many ways to shake this model up and do interesting things, indeed I was probably a bit harsh on windows earlier as the actual OS does a lot of stuff very well but the coders that code other software for it are not quite so good at using it so most people just run at the highest level all the time.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hopefully this exploit would support the ramble pack.

Aren't you contradicting yourself there?
Nope: There were two exploits :P
The DS User settings exploit which uses the gateway. But it wasn't used by the hackers because it appeared to be buggy.
The Savegame Exploit by Yellows8 was not released to publicity.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, I just updated my 3DS so that will mean there will be a exploit for 5.0 here in a day or so .... your welcome.:P

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nope: There were two exploits :P
The DS User settings exploit which uses the gateway. But it wasn't used by the hackers because it appeared to be buggy.
The Savegame Exploit by Yellows8 was not released to publicity.

Afaik Smea and Gateway use the nickname exploit currently :wtf:
He used a different one initially for bigger payload, he explains it all in his blog :P

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik Smea and Gateway use the nickname exploit currently :wtf:
He used a different one initially for bigger payload, he explains it all in his blog :P
I think he said it was a pretty popular retail game too, so Nintendo shouldn't be able to rid the market of it if the exploit ever comes to light.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Remember that when the 3DS first came out, there was very little interest in the device. Now with over 35 million sales, there might be more people interesting in finding exploits.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C4ever is basically what keeps people like Team Executer and Team Jungle is business, he would definately fit into the $$$$$ equation

Agree that's why I said I know he has made money off of donations....Team Jungle also gives their stuff away (I have never had to pay for jungle flasher) but then again they ask for donations and I am sure they get them....team executer actually makes stuff like flash hardware and glitcher boards so they are the only real commercial company in that loop (maybe they kick money back to c4e, makes good business sense). My point was though i don't really have a problem with people making money, I would rather have stuff get released and be available and have to pay for it (or even donate to the worthy) then have these 'snobs' who say or act like they have something but are too morally superior to share. Morality and hacking are not really compatible.....hell read the extensive and silly ULAs that come with the shit we buy and really any type of tampering is breaking the law in the mind of the manufactures and publishers, so even if you are hacking a product or game for your own 'knowledge' you are in theory arleady violating the ULAs.

I think it is all hogwash myself. Piracy is a pimple on the ass of a giant and has not significantly hurth the video game or movie industries (music is a differrent story). I play plenty of stuff I pay for and plenty of stuff I don't......in my long life of gaming (over 30 years) I have spent an obscene amount of money on systems, software, accesories, and hacking/modding. I figure their is enough love to go around...lol.

Reactions: tHciNc

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Team Jungle and Team Executer has some internal integration. But good on them for making products with excellent support, and like you said Quicksilver88, we all spend money on the systems, software, accesories, and hacking/modding, Im pretty sure there was a sudden spike in 3DS sales from gateway, definately in NZ there has been, with them selling more at some shops since june, than for the previous financial year (apart from the xmas Rush, they didnt count december sales), so piracy would definately help the actual console developers with sales, just the fallout is the developers miss out, as its the games which are pirated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps