Not open for further replies.

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
For those interested I've started documenting the game's file formats at our new MK8 Wiki: http://mk8.tockdom.com/wiki. It's still a work in progress!

As far as I know, patches to the game will be a bit like Riivolution, simply a patch to the game's file system. They'll still have all the same protections of a Wii U title, so it'd be equally impossible to fake one sadly.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those interested I've started documenting the game's file formats at our new MK8 Wiki: http://mk8.tockdom.com/wiki. It's still a work in progress!

As far as I know, patches to the game will be a bit like Riivolution, simply a patch to the game's file system. They'll still have all the same protections of a Wii U title, so it'd be equally impossible to fake one sadly.

Wanna document that kernel 'sploit too? ;DDDDDD

Naw but this looks excellent. Pre-emptive thanks for this.

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
Wanna document that kernel 'sploit too? ;DDDDDD

Naw but this looks excellent. Pre-emptive thanks for this.
Yeah, should I also included a 'suggested fix' for Nintendo :P

No trouble! Hopefully it'll be of some use to someone. When the patch does come out we'll obviously do our best to see what it changes, but we'll probably have to crack 5.1.1 first, so it could be some time.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When are you going to officially release the ram addresses from MK8 Character ID notes?
Yeah, should I also included a 'suggested fix' for Nintendo :P

No trouble! Hopefully it'll be of some use to someone. When the patch does come out we'll obviously do our best to see what it changes, but we'll probably have to crack 5.1.1 first, so it could be some time.

IF Nintendo were smart they would NEVER close the exploit hole you have because it would then be worthless to you to keep a secret and the other concern about hackers screwing up a game has already been addressed.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, what do you mean by this? It's very unlikely anything in the RAM will end up on the wiki as it's not generally needed for creating custom stuff, only the files are.

I thought you were going to document everything from the beginning including how you originally modded some stuff.

Reactions: Margen67

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
I thought you were going to document everything from the beginning including how you originally modded some stuff.
Oh I see what you mean now. No probably not to be honest, we just found that address in order to look for beta stuff, but now that we've got the file system we can just see it directly. The trouble with RAM addresses in general is that they don't tend to be consistent between regions/versions/courses whereas file structure is, so unless a mod HAD to use the RAM, we wouldn't want to document it.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious though Chadderz, were you guys intending on going public with your custom content and the stuff to run it once you get to the point that there's actually content to release? Or is it going to stay a thing for privileged, trustable people?
I know the implications of releasing a package to allow anyone to do these mods can reach way beyond just MK8 is why I ask, and I'm sure you guys don't wanna be the people who accidentally enabled some less-than-spectacular homebrewy features on the Wii U...

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
Just curious though Chadderz, were you guys intending on going public with your custom content and the stuff to run it once you get to the point that there's actually content to release? Or is it going to stay a thing for privileged, trustable people?
I know the implications of releasing a package to allow anyone to do these mods can reach way beyond just MK8 is why I ask, and I'm sure you guys don't wanna be the people who accidentally enabled some less-than-spectacular homebrewy features on the Wii U...
We're not sure. To clarify; no one else has it currently; we've been true to our word in that we haven't even given the exploit to our best friends. We're not the sort to make a private distribution, so I think if we were to release it would be for everyone. Most likely if it gets to the point where we have a reasonably sized game mod and no other team has made any progress, we'd look at heavily obfuscating our exploit and releasing it as a standalone application with the exploit baked in, to prevent it being used for nefarious purposes. I think that point is still many months away though.

Reactions: ALPHAMARIOX

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're not sure. To clarify; no one else has it currently; we've been true to our word in that we haven't even given the exploit to our best friends. We're not the sort to make a private distribution, so I think if we were to release it would be for everyone. Most likely if it gets to the point where we have a reasonably sized game mod and no other team has made any progress, we'd look at heavily obfuscating our exploit and releasing it as a standalone application with the exploit baked in, to prevent it being used for nefarious purposes. I think that point is still many months away though.

That sounds excellent actually. Sounds like I trust you guys if it gets to that point.

Ryanrocks462

Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

christmas gift 2014 kernel exploit ;)

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
From wiki: "The BYAML file format is a generic data container format used in Mario Kart 8. It is similar in some ways to XML, but it is a binary data format. "

It looks strange to name format BYAML if it's made from XML and not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML
Well, I didn't necessarily say it was made from XML, just that it's similar. It is, of course, perfectly possible Nintendo use a YAML <-> BYAML converter, though the presence of the path nodes makes me doubt that, I suspect it's a custom format, perhaps a variant of YAML. I'm only using XML as an example because more people are more likely to be familiar with it, and I only wrote a BYAML <-> XML converter due to me being familiar with the format, and XML libraries being more ubiquitous.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing this article. I think Game Genie, Game Shark, or Pro Action Replay would be a better way to conceive of the work that these MK8 mods demonstrate. I find myself disappointed. I buy all of my games and follow the markets. I am disappointed and realize that the old, "Shut up and you do it" reply will be given for my post. I felt excited for the next gen systems to be opened up like the Wii, 360, and later the PS3 were. Even the PSP was fun.

It is very interesting to see this but I think when the ode devices hit the interest will die down. Maybe a cheat engine system could come of this? The article made it clear that this Wii U "scene" will never fully take off and will be handicapped if one ever does begin. Triple Core Linux is stuck, and I feel like the other "projects" may never be shared OR they will be shared like crumbs brushed off a table.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing this article. I think Game Genie, Game Shark, or Pro Action Replay would be a better way to conceive of the work that these MK8 mods demonstrate. I find myself disappointed. I buy all of my games and follow the markets. I am disappointed and realize that the old, "Shut up and you do it" reply will be given for my post. I felt excited for the next gen systems to be opened up like the Wii, 360, and later the PS3 were. Even the PSP was fun.

It is very interesting to see this but I think when the ode devices hit the interest will die down. Maybe a cheat engine system could come of this? The article made it clear that this Wii U "scene" will never fully take off and will be handicapped if one ever does begin. Triple Core Linux is stuck, and I feel like the other "projects" may never be shared OR they will be shared like crumbs brushed off a table.

The plan is that once a kernel/loader/IOSU exploit is found, it'll be obsfucated so nobody'll be able to use it for anything other then we allow, preventing piracy and cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste