Hacking Mario Kart 8 Modding Central

The Koopa Kingdom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I open other .dds files it shown a preview of the images, but Mario Kart 8's .dds does not. Also, it doesn't work with Paint.NET (in my case Photoshop with plugin)
aAhgSYC.png

exptc2L.png
You'll just have to deal with the first problem.

As for the second problem, you'll have to get regular paint.net, export as .png, edit the .png in Photoshop, and place the .png in the .dds using the regular paint.net.

lonemoonHD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So when do you think model modding will be possible? Would be cool to play your favourite characters of all time. =3
Bean and Chadderz have done that before; they know how to encode 0_FMDL sections of .bfres files and also know how to read the updated .kcl files. Checking the MK8 Wiiki should give you some insight on it.

Sam from NL ;)

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bean and Chadderz have done that before; they know how to encode 0_FMDL sections of .bfres files and also know how to read the updated .kcl files. Checking the MK8 Wiiki should give you some insight on it.
Is it also possible to replace 3D model like mario replace by an Inkling for exempLe?

Whatnoww

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone bothered to replace the battle stages yet? I'd love for those to just be swapped out with classic battle arenas from previous Mario Kart games. I mean Battle mode could so easily be fun in MK8 if they just had proper battle maps. As such this seems like something the scene will actually be able to accomplish, I just hope it happens, because that would be amazing.
This NEEDS to be done. I wish I had some more free time to actually do something for the scene, but it just isn't coming up...

Reactions: Rudelof

Rudelof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if you can add skins to other characters like how Yoshi and Shy Guy got colored versions of themselves, so you don't have to replace Mario while you still have your Fire Mario texture in another slot. Or maybe even more slots so once model modding in Mario Kart 8 is possible we can get a Diddy Kong or Inkling mod and it could be like Smash Bros Wii U when you go online maybe they might see the character who you added with more slots as Mario by default. Also, has anyone found a way to fix that 1-2 second delay on the custom music?

Last edited by Rudelof,

Rudelof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about here? Because that may just be a problem of your connection.
Well, whenever my custom music plays, it usually takes about 0.5- 1 second to load. You can even see the delay in this guy named TheCanadianWifier's YT video.

dragon12

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When I run "convertGTX.bat" there is nothing in the "OutDDS" folders. The gtx files are in the "Covert" folder though... Don't know what I'm doing wrong. :/

Last edited by dragon12,

Rudelof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you edit pictures in Mario Kart 8? For example, could you edit the character icons on the character selection screen because I wanna replace Mario with a Fire Mario icon I found.

Last edited by Rudelof,
Reactions: ToonRudy

Harmonia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, has anyone found a way to fix that 1-2 second delay on the custom music?

I think ik what you mean by this. Is your custom song starting late after the "GO"? I usually get that issue in TTs where the music starts at random times throughout the lap (but no later than halfway through it) and if I restart a lot, the custom bfstms end up causing me errors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok