Hacking Mario Kart 8 Modding Central

lonemoonHD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So uh I currently work on a guide to edit BYAML's for tracks (I'm still not sure if or when it's done). A lot of stuff can be done with BYAML's. An editor like Splat3D or SM3DW-Editor would be very useful. MrRean developed something like that some time ago (IIRC). It would be nice to see something like that.
Make sure to PM me once you're done. I'll make sure to add it to the thread. :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

lonemoonHD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Which reminds me, I should update this. Will do that tomorrow, if you have something you're curious about, tell me what it is and I'll put it in there. ;p

AFITZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@lonemoonHD
I have a weird problem. I'm trying to edit Mario's kart emblem but it is showing up on the kart all chopped up and flickering. On top of that, when I edit the emblem the entire kart displays as grey without the transparency. If I use the icon that was extracted without editing it the transparency works but it still flickers. I feel like it might be a problem with the mipmaps or how Paint.NET saves DDS files.

Last edited by AFITZ,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not essential in modding games, this is only for modding ONE game (Mario kart 8).
If it's a tutorial, it should go into the tutorial section.
Actually, granted that quite a few "modding central" threads popped up with the new 5.5.x kexploit, it MIGHT not be a bad idea to add a new "Game Modding" section to the Wii U forum

lonemoonHD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
a problem with the mipmaps
Yes, it's a mipmap problem. I think there might be a solution to it somewhere in the guide. Basically, when running splicer.bat, you should have "0" as your first mipmap number. After the script runs, you should see "BFRES Mips = X". The number you see here is going to replace the "0" you have in splicer.bat. Add it in there and run the script again. You should see "GTX Mips = X" appear, this should be your mipmap number. Add it into splicer.bat and run it one last time. If you don't think it worked, just rerun the script a few times. Don't panic if any issues occur.

If "GTX Mips = X" says 0, just use the BFRES mipmap number instead.

jellyshark

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
@lonemoonHD
I have a problem using filelist.bat, when I run it a window pops up but it quickly disappears and nothing else happens. The text is written without quotation marks and idk how to make it work. Thanks in advance.

AFITZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For anyone having trouble with the .bat files closing instantly, you have to put pause on the second line of the script.For example
hax.py Mario.bfres
pause

Reactions: MrPenguin64

AFITZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any specific settings I should be using when saving the edited dds file? Paint.NET has a few options for saving including compressor type, error metric, generate mipmaps, etc.
Also when you say to put a .gtx file with the same name into the main folder, do I copy the .gtx file from the convert or outDDS folders? They are both different sizes.

lonemoonHD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@lonemoonHD
I have a problem using filelist.bat, when I run it a window pops up but it quickly disappears and nothing else happens. The text is written without quotation marks and idk how to make it work. Thanks in advance.
The text shouldn't be in quotation marks. Like @AFITZ said, you have to put pause into a new line for the script to stay on-screen.

How do you edit bflim files? They're texture files for UI.
I don't think there is any repacking method for them yet. You can extract them with this .bflim preset for QuickBMS, but I forget where it was. I'll link you later.

do I copy the .gtx file from the convert or outDDS folders?
From the OutDDS_Lossless folder.

Are there any specific settings I should be using when saving the edited dds file?
No, not really; the default settings work just fine.

N28582R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone give me an example where the background is in the BYAML so I can add a background to the void?
Edit: Found it.

Last edited by N28582R,

《¤BŁAĐE¤》

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lonemoonHD When i try to run cafiine and load up mk8, it loops the engine sounds and doesnt get past that screen. Do you possibly know what is going on? Also on my pc the command line says the "listening... stuff" but nothing happens after i try to startup the game.

lonemoonHD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@lonemoonHD When i try to run cafiine and load up mk8, it loops the engine sounds and doesnt get past that screen. Do you possibly know what is going on? Also on my pc the command line says the "listening... stuff" but nothing happens after i try to startup the game.
I've actually never had that issue. Could you please describe it in more detail? You can contact me via PM and we can talk it out there. :)

Last edited by lonemoonHD,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: