Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you think the characters of this game are meh, check out Sonic Transformed roster
I know like, 3 of those, that's it. That's 'meh' in my book. A shame because the gameplay deserves more really. It's a great game
Seriously? You never heard of games like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, super monkey ball or Wreck it Ralph? (okay the last one is a movie, but still...) :unsure:

I know Sega doesn't have a well-known line-up of characters so there are a few "you unlocked some unknown character!!!" moments, but I don't mind obscure references provided the characters are different. And that is certainly the least you can say about it. The roster is more akin to a smash bros line-up than a Mario one.

@others: so...judging by your pictures, it sure is a BIG game. ;)

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Seriously? You never heard of games like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, super monkey ball or Wreck it Ralph? (okay the last one is a movie, but still...) :unsure:

I know Sega doesn't have a well-known line-up of characters so there are a few "you unlocked some unknown character!!!" moments, but I don't mind obscure references provided the characters are different. And that is certainly the least you can say about it. The roster is more akin to a smash bros line-up than a Mario one.

@others: so...judging by your pictures, it sure is a BIG game. ;)

I've heard of some, but that's all I have. Heard, not even seen them, definitely didn't play any other games with them.
A pity, it takes abit away of the immersion

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have just finished the first two cups and I am stunned. The game looks fantastic, runs smoothly and is very polished, the new courses are great and the gameplay is awesome. I was hyped as hell ((like many people for wach dogs :lol: )) , watched every trailer and I knew I will love the game, nonetheless the game surprises me pleasently.
Probably it is the first I have the feeling that my Wii U is really "next gen" compared to my PS3.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So today I played Mario Kart 8 at work for an hour, and while the graphics looked very pretty, the gameplay was smooth there just were other things that made me dislike this game although I still kept playing it.

My cons are:
  1. It hardly feels like a new Mario Kart 8 because there's not enough newness to it or revolutionary-ness like Double Dash had.
  2. The control settings aren't customisable, so the accelerate is the button A which is weird 'cause driving games' nowadays use the shoulder buttons at the back, and I'd have preferred it like that too.
  3. I hate to say but despite the new tracks, and features added to Mario Kart 8 it still feels like Double Dash is the better Mario Kart game.
  4. I've played also Sonic Racing Transformed and in comparison to MK8, SRT is a lot better as it feels more fluid and active as to how the car changes back again to its original form.

I'm sort of bummed out about this because after playing it I realised it's not worth the full price. Oh well, there's plenty of other games to play.

By the way, Nintendo give us "Double Dash 2" or a brand new Mario Kart game not some rehashed bs like this! Mario Kart 8 is more or less an updated HD version of Mario Kart 7.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
(I'm still waiting for my pre-order to arrive).

Quite a few reviews have praised the game for the visuals, but the game itself seems lacking in a few minor areas. Not that it doesn't offer anything new, but instead it takes a few things away. The previous games have had quite interesting additions via the means of gameplay modes, but they're apparently lacking in MK8. I'll post more, once I actually get the game...

Also, http://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-8-discussion-thread.365440/.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you played it?

Yes, I have. Sure, it may not have as much content, or hold a candle to Double Dash, doesn't mean it's a bad game in the least. Speaking of DD, I don't understand why people hold that game with such great regard, I mean, I dunno, tried getting back into it recently, it's near impossible to get 1st place. MK8 still is > MK Wii.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'm not saying Mario Kart 8 is a bad game, it's pretty fun and good but it fails to actually be remotely brand new, innovative and awesome.

Wii U has lost its chance of having a spectacular Mario Kart game, so I hope the next Nintendo console has an MK similar to Double Dash. I hope..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish people wouldn't use Double Dash as a gauge to compare other games with, I don't see what was so spectacular about DD, hell, I can't even stay in 1st place for very long. Anyways. I'll be the judge of MK8.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I wish people wouldn't use Double Dash as a gauge to compare other games with, I don't see what was so spectacular about DD, hell, I can't even stay in 1st place for very long. Anyways. I'll be the judge of MK8.

Staying in first place in MK8 isn't really that hard, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Damn you Nintendo you crushed my high expectations that I had of MK8. *sigh*

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
So today I played Mario Kart 8 at work for an hour, and while the graphics looked very pretty, the gameplay was smooth there just were other things that made me dislike this game although I still kept playing it.

My cons are:
  1. It hardly feels like a new Mario Kart 8 because there's not enough newness to it or revolutionary-ness like Double Dash had.
  2. The control settings aren't customisable, so the accelerate is the button A which is weird 'cause driving games' nowadays use the shoulder buttons at the back, and I'd have preferred it like that too.
  3. I hate to say but despite the new tracks, and features added to Mario Kart 8 it still feels like Double Dash is the better Mario Kart game.
  4. I've played also Sonic Racing Transformed and in comparison to MK8, SRT is a lot better as it feels more fluid and active as to how the car changes back again to its original form.
I'm sort of bummed out about this because after playing it I realised it's not worth the full price. Oh well, there's plenty of other games to play.

By the way, Nintendo give us "Double Dash 2" or a brand new Mario Kart game not some rehashed bs like this! Mario Kart 8 is more or less an updated HD version of Mario Kart 7.

I have only played a sample avalible in shops but from what iv played, i dont share your opinion. I dont focus on graphics either, i think the racing is smooth and handles well, the tracks are enjoyable and i like the anti-gravity boosts. It isnt as easy as the trailers make it look to take advantage of, most of the time you just focus on racing but the noticable boost when you do hit someone else is neat. Also, The 1 item only option actually makes the races much much more interesting and i did feel it added a whole new layer of tactics to the game. (ie should you waste all 3 mushrooms before the next item box or keep them for a shortcut if you 4th)

The only 2 things stood out that are niggling points of negativity about the game for me:
- The coin item drops a bit too regularly for my liking
- The game was too easy from what i played and i was on 150cc (altho i am fairly good at the game)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Between Sonic Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8, I'd rather play SRT again as it's more fun although graphically MK8 looks far superior.

Okay now Ninty, don't you screw me with Smash 4! I really am excited for Smash 4!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
HOW ARE YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE GETTING THIS GAME BEFORE RELEASE

Stores are already promoting the game before it's released, and some already received their pre-order copies.

I'm guessing some of those pre-order copies will be sold very soon but without the code to redeem the free digital game.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finished the 50 CC Cup. Really Loving it :D . Seems the online services is giving me disconnects sometimes which kinda sucks because it even deducts points because of that. But oh well , Graphics are really great and the gameplay is good

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, wut wut wut wut wut