Mac people running Windows please advise

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WeaponXxX said:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO.../family/mac_pro

I want a box dedicated to rendering videos...and saw this Dual Quad Core that can run Windows.... Would I get any performance boost from this over my 3.0 quad core extreme in regards to rendering?
Rendering? I assume you mean playing high graphics intensive games. Or high quality video editing.
Go build a PC.

For 2,800, you can do much better. Dunno about the processor though. A PC is a better investment though, cause you could always toss out the old processor if a newer one exists.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi my name is WeaponXxX....I got a bucket of PCs....my Intel CPU I am working off of right now is worth a 1/3 of the rig in the link. Not worried about cash or value, I need SPEEEEED....I feel the need for SPEEEEEED

@Salamantis
Yes 8 Cores is nice...but the real question is do apps need to be optimized for 8 cores?

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
Well of course it would be an improvement. 4 cores compared to 8...
Yeah, but he would be running Windows on it. Can he run all 8 cores on it? I doubt Windows will recognize more than 4.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MystikEkoez said:
Salamantis said:
Well of course it would be an improvement. 4 cores compared to 8...
Yeah, but he would be running Windows on it. Can he run all 8 cores on it? I doubt Windows will recognize more than 4.

Can any other Windows user back this up? I'm not too sure about Winblows...

Because if it's true, then it won't be big improvement.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
WeaponXxX said:
Hi my name is WeaponXxX....I got a bucket of PCs....my Intel CPU I am working off of right now is worth a 1/3 of the rig in the link. Not worried about cash or value, I need SPEEEEED....I feel the need for SPEEEEEED

@Salamantis
Yes 8 Cores is nice...but the real question is do apps need to be optimized for 8 cores?

Apps would need to be optimized for the 8 cores. Currently there's barely anything that will take advantage of even 4, but when 8 core systems become more mainstream, and application developers use them on a regular basis, imagine the power and speed you'd get with video rendering software running at full speed on an 8 core system... It will blow your mind
wink.gif

b4nn3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get more performance with a real PC. Get one of Intel's new boards and 2 QX9775s. If you don't care about cash, that is.....

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
if you're just going to run windows on it, there is no point of paying the extra for a mac. i love my mac... but if it wasn't for the OS, i probably wouldn't had bought the hardware. also the OS is definatly best to take advantage of these multicore (and 64-bit) processors, as it is very well optimized to use the 64 bit architecture to it's fullest... where as Win 64-bit OSes (XP or Vista) are lacking lots of native software support, majority of Windows apps are built only with 32-bit platform in mind.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me put it this way, we've talked about this plenty of times for me, I have quite a few dual core rigs and now two Quad cores, 1 regular and one extreme. I am not pleased with the Quad Cores as I feel FORCED to run Vista. Vista still has tons of issues like their media player is broken and a file transfer issue. My 3Gbit per sec drives take seconds to transfer big files on XP but hours on Vista. Both issues have been made aware by Microsoft. I just... well sometime I just want to throw my machine through a window. I originally wanted one bad ass machine for reliability (Outook) but performance to work. I don't think I will achieve that
frown.gif

b4nn3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WeaponXxX said:
Let me put it this way, we've talked about this plenty of times for me, I have quite a few dual core rigs and now two Quad cores, 1 regular and one extreme. I am not pleased with the Quad Cores as I feel FORCED to run Vista. Vista still has tons of issues like their media player is broken and a file transfer issue. My 3Gbit per sec drives take seconds to transfer big files on XP but hours on Vista. Both issues have been made aware by Microsoft. I just... well sometime I just want to throw my machine through a window. I originally wanted one bad ass machine for reliability (Outook) but performance to work. I don't think I will achieve that
frown.gif

Do you have SP1 + all of the hotfixes?

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is SP1 Final out yet? Or are you referring to Beta? Cause... I don't think final is out???
*edit
Just looked and doesn't appear to be out yet
frown.gif
Would be nice if I had an OS that ran my expensive hardware properly right out of the box
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy." Video is released. Diddy - " Ok I did it, i am remorseful for my actions during my darkest times." Lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself)...