Question about these low end laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently looking at potentially buying a new laptop, something small and lightweight which I can use for some relatively light stuff e.g. browse a few websites, manage some webuis on lan, some utilities e.g. ssh, odd video, etc. which sits between my tablet and my laptop.

Two models I'm considering are:
HP 11-ak0027na
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9626306
Asus E210MA-GJ181WS
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3930823

As of now, the main differences I'm aware of are that the HP has a quad core processor whilst the Asus has a dual core but the latter apparently also has a spare internal M.2 slot which can be use for storage (or in my case, multi boot Windows and Linux without relying on the emmc/mSD slot, which offers potential speed advantages).

So my question is, on these low end machines for basic stuff, is the N4120 quad core that much of a boost that it's worth losing that spare M.2 slot?

I know from benchmarks that obviously the N4120 is better at multi core tasks, but I don't know if Chrome/Firefox would really benefit unless I have many tabs open.

Note: I've considered Chromebooks but with the limited Android support and other restrictions, I'd rather get a generic X86 machine and do something with that, even if it's something like Chrome OS Flex.

Thank you.

Update:

I managed to find a laptop on ebay (Thinkpad X280, i5 8250u, 8GB RAM, FHD screen, 256GB storage) which is light enough to be within my tolerances and the seller promised at least 50% battery life (roughly 4+ hours according to some reviews I saw) for about £120 thanks to some discounts/voucher and a returns policy.

Hopefully it does what I want and should be better than the above.

Mods please lock the topic.

Last edited by tech3475,

BennySatosh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimately, your choice might come down to weighing the importance of processing power versus storage flexibility. If you prioritize performance, the HP model could be the way to go. However, if storage versatility is key for you, the Asus model with its spare M.2 slot might offer a more appealing option.
Post automatically merged:

And the HP model stands out with its quad-core processor, offering potentially better performance for multitasking and handling slightly more demanding tasks. On the other hand, the Asus model's dual-core processor might be sufficient for your intended usage but could potentially struggle with heavier tasks.

Last edited by BennySatosh,

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ultimately, your choice might come down to weighing the importance of processing power versus storage flexibility. If you prioritize performance, the HP model could be the way to go. However, if storage versatility is key for you, the Asus model with its spare M.2 slot might offer a more appealing option.
Post automatically merged:

And the HP model stands out with its quad-core processor, offering potentially better performance for multitasking and handling slightly more demanding tasks. On the other hand, the Asus model's dual-core processor might be sufficient for your intended usage but could potentially struggle with heavier tasks.

Thanks for the response, however I ended up buying a discounted second hand Thinkpad X280.

It's not perfect (e.g. about 4 hours battery life and slightly heavier) but it's overall ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto