Help and advices updating/upgrading My PC

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello there tempers, first at all I am not publishing this on EoF, please be helpful. :P

I actually have a some years old PC at home, normally I use it for office, build some software and gaming but I am a very light gamer no hardcore, but I do use lots of emulators.

Actually my setup is:
  • Main Board: Asus H110M-E-M.2
  • Proccessor: i5-6400 @ 2700 (4 cores)
  • Graphics: Integrated HD Graphics 530
  • Memory: 16 GB DDR4 (8X2)
  • Main storage: 340 GB Kinstong M2
  • Audio: Realtek HD Integrated on Main Board and Intel HD on graphic card
Normally on the emulators and some games obviously the performance is not the best.

I am thinking about changing the CPU by a Pentium G4620 3.7GHz 3MB or Core i7-7700 which are the most recent CPUs supported by my Motherboard.

Also thinking about a dedicated graphics card but I am not willing to invest lots of USD on a graphics card which become under used most of the time.

Which is better, add a graphics card or with the 1GHz of CPU boost is enough.

Please help me to decide and in the most austere way get the best performance.

Thanks a lot for your help and insights.

Last edited by impeeza,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the i7-7700k, As for RAM you can get 2x 16GB DDR4-2133 and bump it up to 32GB, would be nice if you already have a single stick of 16GB. The GPU would depends on if you game or not on the computer if you don't game don't really need a good GPU.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For emulating anything N64/PS1/Saturn or newer, I would recommend getting a dedicated GPU. 3D rendering is kinda tough on CPU alone. Same with basically any modernish (2012 and newer) game.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Get the i7-7700k, As for RAM you can get 2x 16GB DDR4-2133 and bump it up to 32GB, would be nice if you already have a single stick of 16GB. The GPU would depends on if you game or not on the computer if you don't game don't really need a good GPU.
Cool, by the way I have 8GB x2 sticks DD4 (sorry for the typo) so increasing memory is remove the one I have and put newer, because the board only allows 2 memories.

I really do not game modern games on the PC only emulation but will be nice be able to emulate with dolphin and maybe yuzu.

For emulating anything N64/PS1/Saturn or newer, I would recommend getting a dedicated GPU. 3D rendering is kinda tough on CPU alone. Same with basically any modernish (2012 and newer) game.

so, Which dedicated GPU do you recommend. I have a PCIEX16 and a PCIEX1 free ports on the main board.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, by the way I have 8GB x2 sticks DD4 (sorry for the typo) so increasing memory is remove the one I have and put newer, because the board only allows 2 memories.

I really do not game modern games on the PC only emulation but will be nice be able to emulate with dolphin and maybe yuzu.

Yea you need 2x 16GB, so you have to swap out the 2x 8GB one

Reactions: impeeza

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd grab a used 1060 6GB with that system for light gaming/emulation, for a few reasons.

1) OP never said what power supply they have. If it's an office PC, I doubt it's packing a huge supply & might not have many pcie power connectors.
2) Size. No case listed, but again old pc used for office. Unlikely to accommodate the length of higher power & modern cards. Can get get tiny 1060s.
3) Cheap on used market.
4) Nvidia OpenGL support better than AMD's, lots of emulators use OpenGL.

Failing that, if powersupply is really bad, then 1050ti. Ever cheaper, same advatanges, but is only 75W, so don't even need PCIE power connectors.

Either will be a huge upgrade over crappy Intel intergrated graphics.

No idea why people are going 2080ti for light gaming/emulation on an office pc.

Also not sure why people are sayign 7700K. K variant is more expensive because it can be overclocked, but you can't do that on a H series board and has a slightly higher max boost. It also uses a bit more power (91W vs 65W), so an h series board with few vrms, with no heatsinks, may very well throttle anyway.

Best case you are getting a 300mhz extra on max turbo, but paying significantly more because it can be overclocked, but you can't because you don't have a Z series board. Makes no sense to even suggest the K variant.

Looking on ebay us a 7700 seem to go for around $80. 32GB of decent used 2133 is around $40. Skylake to Kabylake wasn't a massive ipc jump, 6400 to 7700 will be an ok jump, but worth $80, not for me.

I just wouldn't even bother with such an old system. Ram and CPU upgrade with run you $120 or so (based on Ebay prices, as I'm not in the US). If you can get it significantly cheaper elsewhere, then maybe, but prices I see, not worth it for me.

Just throwing money away for a system that isn't even Windows 11 compatible, because no tpm (or old version/just not supported, can't remember). You can go around that, but it may cause issues in future (some anti-cheats will complain about no tpm on win11).

When you can get something along the lines of
i3 12100f $95
32GB ddr4 $50 or so
Cheap lga 1200 board $80 or so. 12100 sips power so anything will run it.

$120 thrown at such an old system to upgrade ram and cpu is a waste. You can save $120, you may as well save it again and make the jump to a modern platform, that has tpm and fully supports win11 without messing around and will be much faster than an old 6400 cpu.

GPU will be a much bigger boost over the crappy igpu on the 6400 and can go with you to any new systems in future.

Last edited by Armadillo,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Good point, I have a newish case, originally I did build that PC on on my later PC a Dell Inspiron and recycled the case, obviously the case aged and 3 months ago I did buy a new Case, the PSU is a 900 Watt one, I did get on a sales on a local parts store so is a good PSU.

Thanks for your CPU advises, so far I will buy a used GPU with Amazon warranty. and I am looking on the price/power relations of some i7 CPUs.

I just buy a 32 GB stick of RAM compatible with my board which cost 28 USD because is no a "gamer" one, but is a good brand.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello there I finally opted to buy that cheap RX 850 Just arrive this morning and obviously was used for crypto. Even the monitors connectors are never used or removed the plugs, I am a little confident what wasn't cleaned with water because under the fans there are some dust.

I just finished yo clean all and changed the thermal paste

I am going to put into my PC but I have a question: this is the correct 8 pins conector for three card, my PSU only have that 8 pins conector:

IMG_20231021_134103.jpg
IMG_20231021_134108.jpg

IMG_20231021_131455.jpg

Can I go with this connector?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, that is the correct connector. An older standard was only 6 pins, but they updated it to 8 pins sometime later to allow for more power transfer. That split plug is the solution to support both standards without any drawbacks.

Also, I would highly suggest upgrading the Mainboard plus CPU before updating the CPU inside the generation. Even if it costs a bit more something cheap like a 12100 or a 5600 will beat anything in that generation by miles, and support a few newer features that more modern emulators can utilize. Personally I would save up for something like that and just ride the 6400 until you can afford to do so, even if it takes a year. Though with the GPU you might not even need it for yuzu and dolphin.

• Love

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yes, that is the correct connector. An older standard was only 6 pins, but they updated it to 8 pins sometime later to allow for more power transfer. That split plug is the solution to support both standards without any drawbacks.

Also, I would highly suggest upgrading the Mainboard plus CPU before updating the CPU inside the generation. Even if it costs a bit more something cheap like a 12100 or a 5600 will beat anything in that generation by miles, and support a few newer features that more modern emulators can utilize. Personally I would save up for something like that and just ride the 6400 until you can afford to do so, even if it takes a year. Though with the GPU you might not even need it for yuzu and dolphin.
Thanks a lot, yeah, I was thinking the same, first update the GPU and put at test all the system and if any new is needed better a full upgrade of mainboard, memory and CPU later in time.

OK, starting now the computer with the GPU and that connector, crossing fingers for me :P
Post automatically merged:

Update no fire!! 8D

Last edited by impeeza,
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there tempers, first at all I am not publishing this on EoF, please be helpful. :P

I actually have a some years old PC at home, normally I use it for office, build some software and gaming but I am a very light gamer no hardcore, but I do use lots of emulators.

Actually my setup is:
  • Main Board: Asus H110M-E-M.2
  • Proccessor: i5-6400 @ 2700 (4 cores)
  • Graphics: Integrated HD Graphics 530
  • Memory: 16 GB DDR4 (8X2)
  • Main storage: 340 GB Kinstong M2
  • Audio: Realtek HD Integrated on Main Board and Intel HD on graphic card
Normally on the emulators and some games obviously the performance is not the best.

I am thinking about changing the CPU by a Pentium G4620 3.7GHz 3MB or Core i7-7700 which are the most recent CPUs supported by my Motherboard.

Also thinking about a dedicated graphics card but I am not willing to invest lots of USD on a graphics card which become under used most of the time.

Which is better, add a graphics card or with the 1GHz of CPU boost is enough.

Please help me to decide and in the most austere way get the best performance.

Thanks a lot for your help and insights.

I play mostly emulated games (Teknoparrot, Yuzu, PCSX2, Doplhin, etc ...) on an old i5 bought second hand on eBay, I find RAM doesnt seem to be an issue (unless recording a video of gameplay to hard drive) however the processor stats are always at the upper end of the scale, so I would defo recommend upgrading to an i7.

Apart from installing a second solid state hard drive (a Patriot brand 2 TB should be around $100) I would most definitely install a new graphics card, and my recommendation would be a GTX 1650 Low Profile (https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Graphics-Card/GV-N1650OC-4GL#kf) which is around $250 on Amazon

• Love

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I play mostly emulated games (Teknoparrot, Yuzu, PCSX2, Doplhin, etc ...) on an old i5 bought second hand on eBay, I find RAM doesnt seem to be an issue (unless recording a video of gameplay to hard drive) however the processor stats are always at the upper end of the scale, so I would defo recommend upgrading to an i7.

Apart from installing a second solid state hard drive (a Patriot brand 2 TB should be around $100) I would most definitely install a new graphics card, and my recommendation would be a GTX 1650 Low Profile (https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Graphics-Card/GV-N1650OC-4GL#kf) which is around $250 on Amazon
Excellent, for now the new GPU gives to the PC a enourmous improvement on emulation and games in general.

I am thinking about the next year to buy a Xeon Processor and a Mainboard i9/xeon compatible. the prices are very competitive.

And my secondary storage is a 8 TB Helium Hard drive.

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent, for now the new GPU gives to the PC a enourmous improvement on emulation and games in general.

I am thinking about the next year to buy a Xeon Processor and a Mainboard i9/xeon compatible. the prices are very competitive.

And my secondary storage is a 8 TB Helium Hard drive.

haha, much too powerful for me ! Emulation was the main reason for buying a PC specifically for gaming. I am not interested in playing the very latest titles in 4K, so I bought a cheap second hand desktop on eBay then added in new components (RAM, graphics card, hard drive) myself. However, my set up still runs alot of recent PC games with no problems at all (Sleeping Dogs, Tekken 7, KOF XV ....) and I hope to obtain Days Gone in the next while and see if it plays OK. My set up is as follows:
  • Lenovo Thinkcentre M93P SFF desktop computer
  • Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
  • Intel i5 4570 (quad core 3.2GHz)
  • 24GB RAM (DDR3)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 LP graphics card (4GB GDDR5)
  • Patriot 2TB SSD
side note: from the video below it looks like it will run the game pretty good, although I would personally reduce the quality of fog / shadows / etc .... so as to take pressure off the CPU when many NPCs appear on screen !

Last edited by hooky1992,
  • Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto