Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wait, what? "Corresponding" obviously doesn't mean what you think it means. That whole sentence is simply stating that the source can be a separate download from the compiled object (nobody is *required to bundle the source in the same archive as the binary) and in fact, can be on an entirely different server.
Indeed, astro just give a link to the repo, which is OK

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Trying to use a license that's meant to promote openness for the opposite. Evil. Nice try, but you've made one mistake. IIRC, the GPL has an exception for if the person is inhibited from obtaining the source, or it is otherwise rendered unobtainable. The people who wrote the GPL were onto such nastiness and created exceptions to keep it from being misused in the way you're attempting to.
I just read through the entire GPLv3 and could not find the section you were referring to. If you could point it out, I'd be happy to explain why it doesn't apply.

In addition, I'd like to reiterate I actually ran this by RMS first:
upload_2017-8-21_8-8-56.png

(Section 6b, by the way, refers to when the software comes preinstalled on hardware that you distributed.)

Last edited by astronautlevel,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the love of science, someone quit hiding behind legal technicalities in laws I don't even believe have a place in a free society, and just link the source for the last commit already. Take your legal arguments and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. If I cared about copyright law, would I even be here? I don't believe in copyright law. Period. Hey, at least you can't call me a hypocrite. I fully don't believe in copyright nonsense. Because every prediction the MAFIAA has made, such as home recording killing the music industry, has proven false.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
For the love of science, someone quit hiding behind legal technicalities in laws I don't even believe have a place in a free society, and just link the source for the last commit already. And while you may not agree with me, at you can't call me a hypocrite. I fully don't believe in copyright nonsense. Because every prediction the MAFIAA has made, such as home recording killing the music industry, has proven false.
Wat

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How is it people can like a 3 character reply that contributes nothing to the conversation? Regardless, discontinuing something is one thing. But stuff like Gridlauncher is still on Github. When you do something like this, it makes people think you have something to hide. So, now I'm going to look for reposts of the source until I find whatever it is you don't want me to.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
How is it people can like a 3 character reply that contributes nothing to the conversation? Regardless, discontinuing something is one thing. But stuff like Gridlauncher is still on Github. When you do something like this, it makes people think you have something to hide. So, now I'm going to look for reposts of the source until I find whatever it is you don't want me to.
Because your reply was rambling and made absolutely zero sense, and my comment embodied the confusion people felt trying to decipher your post.

And sure, be my guest, go look for it. I guarantee you there's no conspiracy here. Legacy was killed off because it was bad and its continued existence unnecessary. Stuff like gridlauncher was an independent project - legacy was just a part of Luma.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because your reply was rambling and made absolutely zero sense, and my comment embodied the confusion people felt trying to decipher your post.

And sure, be my guest, go look for it. I guarantee you there's no conspiracy here. Legacy was killed off because it was bad and its continued existence unnecessary. Stuff like gridlauncher was an independent project - legacy was just a part of Luma.

I'm not a morning person. And I was simply trying to convey that I don't care about the legal BS you're spouting, because I don't believe in copyrights. It's not a complicated concept. Ideas aren't property. Marconi and Tesla proved that two people on opposite sides of the world can come up with the exact same thing.

And if you can't understand the reverse psychology of yanking something from Github causing it to get downloaded even more, then you're not as smart as I gave you credit for.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a morning person. And I was simply trying to convey that I don't care about the legal BS you're spouting, because I don't believe in copyrights. It's not a complicated concept. Ideas aren't property. Marconi and Tesla proved that two people on opposite sides of the world can come up with the exact same thing.
Sorry, but you live in this thing called "society." Society has these things called "rules" and "laws." As long as you live in society, you have to follow the same laws as everyone else, even if you don't believe in them. Whether or not you agree with it, GPL has held up in court - I'm not spouting any legal BS, just a plain and simple interpretation of the license which Luma3DS is under.

And if you can't understand the reverse psychology of yanking something from Github causing it to get downloaded even more, then you're not as smart as I gave you credit for.
It makes it far more difficult to download it at least.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but you live in this thing called "society." Society has these things called "rules" and "laws." As long as you live in society, you have to follow the same laws as everyone else, even if you don't believe in them. Whether or not you agree with it, GPL has held up in court - I'm not spouting any legal BS, just a plain and simple interpretation of the license which Luma3DS is under.

I'm actually 30 minutes removed from an hours long back and forth on a pokemon request subreddit I mod about one particular rule. So I find this personally enjoyable, now I can sit back and watch this rather than be in the thick of it all, which was really bothering me.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not if absolutely no one cares to enforce it. As if any self-respecting lawyer would even take your case. Besides, if you ever end up in a courtroom, it's probably not going to be over your GPL license ;) .

And why would you care if people download it? You've made it clear you're not going to support it anymore. But why do you care if people have it? Why does what other people choose to do with their device bother you? What's it to ya?

Also, don't bet on it. The Internet has a funny way of reacting to censorship and/or attempts to alter history. Deleting something you think is bad doesn't make it go away. It only drives the demand up. Experience Hendrix learned that lesson. "Cry Of Love" got re-released didn't it? You can TRY to take your ball back and go home, but it doesn't work that way. For better or worse, the legacy branch is part of 3DS history now. Your attempt to cover up that part will only make it more prominent.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: SomebodyElse

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And why would you care if people download it? You've made it clear you're not going to support it anymore. But why do you care if people have it?
Because lots of people download on astro site, and the part who doesn't build from upstream.

Now if you stopped spamming your useless rant and making astro (and other people) lose time to reply in the process it would be nice. Thank you.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Not if absolutely no one cares to enforce it. As if any self-respecting lawyer would even take your case. Besides, if you ever end up in a courtroom, it's probably not going to be over your GPL license ;) .
So you went from "The EFF would tear your case apart" to "fuck to police" to "you're right but no one would take your case." At least pick a side and stick to it, eh?

And why would you care if people download it? You've made it clear you're not going to support it anymore. But why do you care if people have it? Why does what other people choose to do with their device bother you? What's it to ya?
Because it's an inferior branch that won't receive support and will break on future versions. When people download something broken from a non-official source and then complain that luma broke or bricked them (yes, this does happen) it A) makes luma3ds and its developers look bad and B) makes people waste time explaining why things broke.

Last edited by astronautlevel,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
And why would you care if people download it?
Because that's yet another user case that has to be supported. It will have its own combination of symptoms with problems that question-answerers have to remember. And the first step will always be, "are you running the latest Luma? No? Download it and see if the problem persists". Making it harder for people to get reduces the number of support cases.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
People aren't one-dimensional. How about this. The EFF probably would tear you a new one for abusing their law to take down information
We're not taking down information, we're getting rid of a shitty branch that has no place anymore. The same thing happens all the time in open source; old things make way for new things. Also, the EFF wouldn't do shit in either side of this because why would they care about 3ds homebrew.

I only half-heartedly support things like GPL because it's somewhat of an anti-copyright copyright, preventing large corporations like Microsoft from snatching up free projects and copyrighting them. It's not like I actually believe in it any more than the traditional copyright laws it's protecting the software against. It's just that you fight fire with fire. If you don't copyright, someone else will. So you copyright with a license that says it has to remain free and open, as if it wasn't. I feel like the whole purpose is violated when someone pulls a stunt like this, regardless of reason. Some sleazy high-profile lawyer probably could get a judge to go along with your little loophole, but good luck getting one to give you the time of day.
This isn't some loophole, it's a specific part of the GPL that says you don't have to provide source anymore when you stop providing binaries. RMS himself said as much, and I highly highly doubt Stallman would be advertising some "loophole" in the GPL.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're not taking down information, we're getting rid of a shitty branch that has no place anymore. The same thing happens all the time in open source; old things make way for new things. Also, the EFF wouldn't do shit in either side of this because why would they care about 3ds homebrew.

This isn't some loophole, it's a specific part of the GPL that says you don't have to provide source anymore when you stop providing binaries. RMS himself said as much, and I highly highly doubt Stallman would be advertising some "loophole" in the GPL.

Maybe you can rationalize it like that, but it seems highly unusual to me. I can find every commit for CTRULIB going back over 3 years. I actually did that thinking I might get 3DSCraft working with Rosalina. I did get it to compile. But it won't even run in *hax right. People leave mistakes up left and right. IMHO, it's a good thing people can learn from. I don't see people taking commits down in the master branch every time someone makes a mistake. And that's good. People can learn from the bad examples too.

Look, it's not like I'm looking to make a fork of it or anything. It's not like I'm even a serious coder or anything. I just have a compulsive desire to keep old versions of things. I couldn't tell you the last time I deleted something from my PC (OK, maybe I can, it was the time I deleted Kid Rock's newest albums, how did a Rap/Metal star become a virtual clone of John Mellencamp?). Still, most things in my downloads folder stay there forever. Your post just gave me the most dreadful feeling, like if Blizzard announced they had lost the source code for vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade. If that makes any sense. Maybe not that bad, but still.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you can rationalize it like that, but it seems highly unusual to me. I can find every commit for CTRULIB going back over 3 years. I actually did that thinking I might get 3DSCraft working with Rosalina. I did get it to compile. But it won't even run in *hax right. People leave mistakes up left and right. IMHO, it's a good thing people can learn from. I don't see people taking commits down in the master branch every time someone makes a mistake. And that's good. People can learn from the bad examples too.
You can also find every single commit of Luma3DS (minus the legacy branch) going back to the original ReiNAND Mod. Legacy was never a project on its own - it was a dirty hack made while Rosalina was still buggy.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also find every single commit of Luma3DS (minus the legacy branch) going back to the original ReiNAND Mod. Legacy was never a project on its own - it was a dirty hack made while Rosalina was still buggy.

Still, it seems a bit extreme to me. Especially with ReiNAND about to go no-firmware. All the minimalists and Rosalina haters will probably just switch to that anyway. If not, well, people that like it probably already downloaded the binary and will continue to use it until either it's dead or the 3DS is, whichever comes first. It's not like less people will have it now. Your best bet was to let it wither on the vine. This is even more likely to cause a fork to pop up.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Trophies
XP
Still, it seems a bit extreme to me. Especially with ReiNAND about to go no-firmware. All the minimalists and Rosalina haters will probably just switch to that anyway. If not, well, most people probably already downloaded the binary and will continue to use it until either it's dead or the 3DS is, whichever comes first. It's not like less people will have it now. Your best bet was to let it wither on the vine. This is even more likely to cause a fork to pop up.
Most of the rosalina haters don't really understand how it works, tbh. Most of the bugs were fixed in luma 8.1.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's interesting that this thread has more debates and arguments than actual technical support and announcement of releases and features. I'd like to say that's Luma as a whole in any discussion avenue (apart from the Nintendo Homebrew Discord I assume?).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye