Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be for the best if homebrew apps switched to valid IDs. Anyone going to miss the Imagine series? Didn't think so.

I don't think there is a .3dsx for Freeshop, but CIAngel should work. Also, as promised, here's a script. I haven't tested it, so backup your NAND just in case something goes wrong. But it should work. I got the information from 3DBrew so it should be right.
Freeshop does have a 3dsx, it's the version I use

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thank you for this!
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to all the App9 and Luma full features, so would you please tell me how to run the script? And how often does it run?

How often? I think B9S would need to add crontab before something like that would be possible. You'll just have to run it when desired for now.

I included the correct folders, just copy "gm9" to the card. Then in GM9, hit the home button. If the scripts menu doesn't show up (it's on the first page in 1.3.2 if you compile your own), select more, then scripts, then pick it. Note that it will ask you to confirm with a key combo, since it has to delete the files from CTRNAND.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

darksageaura

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the Circle Pad Pro, I don't know if it is busted or what, but when I upgraded to the latest Luma and B9S, it stopped working. Is there a way to check to see if it's working if you don't have a second 3ds?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have the Circle Pad Pro, I don't know if it is busted or what, but when I upgraded to the latest Luma and B9S, it stopped working. Is there a way to check to see if it's working if you don't have a second 3ds?

Start a game that supports the Circle Pad Pro, like Majora's Mask 3D, or the various Monster Hunter games, they have an option you can pick to see if it's working correctly.

Reactions: Quantumcat

darksageaura

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Start a game that supports the Circle Pad Pro, like Majora's Mask 3D, or the various Monster Hunter games, they have an option you can pick to see if it's working correctly.

I did that and after trying to press the zl and zr buttons I get a connection failed. I don't know if it's my 3ds port or the actual circle pad pro that's giving me the problem. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem or possibly just me.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone -

Just wanted to announce that the legacy version of Luma3DS has been officially discontinued. The branch has been deleted from github, and I have deleted all the builds from my website.

In addition, we will not be providing the source of legacy to anyone who asks - I already checked, this is not a conflict with the GPL since we no longer officially provide binaries (I can post the email I sent to RMS if anyone really cares).

Thanks to everyone who helped testing!

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone -

Just wanted to announce that the legacy version of Luma3DS has been officially discontinued. The branch has been deleted from github, and I have deleted all the builds from my website.

In addition, we will not be providing the source of legacy to anyone who asks - I already checked, this is not a conflict with the GPL since we no longer officially provide binaries (I can post the email I sent to RMS if anyone really cares).

Thanks to everyone who helped testing!

A bit sudden to do that without any sort of announcement or anything. I'd actually like a copy of the final commit if you can get me a link (you can PM me if you don't want to give it out publicly). I have the last build you did, but I was thinking of compiling it to use a different folder.

Not that it's as tragic a loss as Ozzy deleting "The Ultimate Sin" or anything, but would it really have hurt to leave it up for those that might want to fork it for it's more minimal nature? This is the most proprietary thing they've done yet. I'd still like to know what their gripe with GW is, for that matter. Tux gave us firmtool, and an example of how to convert payloads. But Luma won't run converted payloads. It's almost like they go out of their way to break it.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit sudden to do that without any sort of announcement or anything. I'd actually like a copy of the final commit if you can get me a link (you can PM me if you don't want to give it out publicly). I have the last build you did, but I was thinking of compiling it to use a different folder.

Not that it's as tragic a loss as Ozzy deleting "The Ultimate Sin" or anything, but would it really have hurt to leave it up for those that might want to fork it for it's more minimal nature? This is the most proprietary thing they've done yet. I'd still like to know what their gripe with GW is, for that matter. Tux gave us firmtool, and an example of how to convert payloads. But Luma won't run converted payloads. It's almost like they go out of their way to break it.
But they did announce that they were removing the legacy branch when v8.1.1 dropped. Check the release notes. At the time, they gave a "2 weeks and we're deleting the branch" notice.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they did announce that they were removing the legacy branch when v8.1.1 dropped. Check the release notes. It's since been updated to remove the "2 weeks notice" message, but they did announce it.

They said they would be discontinuing support. Not deleting all traces of it. And I don't see what they hope to accomplish. You can't take your ball and go home with the Internet. Someone still has it, and will put it up out of spite now. Would it not be better to leave a trusted source in place? Ozzy deleting "The Utlimate Sin" didn't work either, btw. It's been spread around as much as Megadeth's original "Killing Is My Business" already.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They said they would be discontinuing support. Not deleting all traces of it. And I don't see what they hope to accomplish. You can't take your ball and go home with the Internet. Someone still has it, and will put it up out of spite now. Would it not be better to leave a trusted source in place? Ozzy deleting "The Utlimate Sin" didn't work either, btw. It's been spread around as much as Megadeth's original "Killing Is My Business" already.
@astronautlevel did announce that Aurora was deleting the legacy branch in this post. There was a warning.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK then. The first person to PM me a valid link to the source for the last commit gets an advance copy of the new version of my now-script-based AIO pack. It's very nice. It's got scripts for changing your default payload (on a real chainloader), switching to any chainloader, managing your activity log, transferring EmuNAND to SysNAND (admittedly an easy one), and even switching exploits between A9LH and B9S (provided you kept your backups when you upgraded from A9LH to B9S). It also includes my NTRBootHax "Swap Card From Hell" and "Universal Same Card Setup" that will make guides yesterday's news. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
OK then. The first person to PM me a valid link to the source for the last commit gets an advance copy of the new version of my now-script-based AIO pack. It's very nice. It's got scripts for changing your default payload (on a real chainloader), switching to any chainloader, managing your activity log, transferring EmuNAND to SysNAND (admittedly an easy one), and even switching exploits between A9LH and B9S (provided you kept your backups when you upgraded from A9LH to B9S). It also includes my NTRBootHax "Swap Card From Hell" and "Universal Same Card Setup" that will make guides yesterday's news. Thanks in advance.
Can it edit the activity log properly (ie can I get rid of all entries for System Settings without deleting the whole lot)?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can it edit the activity log properly (ie can I get rid of all entries for System Settings without deleting the whole lot)?

It's scripts for a file manager. Backup and restore PTM, wipe AL, or wipe both are the current options. I read that whole "incognito" thread and thought, if people are willing to go to so much trouble just to have a normal looking activity log, even though we now know it's not the cause of bans, maybe some scripts would save them a few steps. I couldn't write an app if I wanted to. Scripting is my thing. But there's an app called Cthulhu that might be able to do what you want.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's scripts for a file manager. Backup and restore PTM, wipe AL, or wipe both are the current options. I read that whole "incognito" thread and thought, if people are willing to go to so much trouble just to have a normal looking activity log, even though we now know it's not the cause of bans, maybe some scripts would save them a few steps. I couldn't write an app if I wanted to. Scripting is my thing. But there's an app called Cthulhu that might be able to do what you want.
No, Cthulhu can't do it. So I got excited when you mentioned it. But maybe it isn't possible :-(

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
"Aurora plans to deprecate legacy with the 8.1.1release, and fully delete it after a grace period if there are no issues with 8.1.1 that legacy doesn't have. When this happens, I will also be deleting all of the legacybuilds from my site." Seems like a pretty good warning @Kazuma77, but maybe that's just me.

I'd also like to mention that someone hosting another build of the legacy branch but not having the source would be a GPL violation.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Cthulhu can't do it. So I got excited when you mentioned it. But maybe it isn't possible :-(

Well, sorry for getting your hopes up. Not something I'd even feel comfortable attempting. I mainly just automate otherwise-repetitive processes (and create pseudo-direct movement that can be mapped to a 360 controller in native PC ARPGs using AHK -- why can't Blizzard take some lessons from Falcom in controller support?).

The main purpose of this is to automate everything they have all these guides for. What Cyberquake's doing with his swap card, I'm pretty much trying to do with, well, everything. Same card or swap card. With or without NTRBootHax. A9LH or B9S. Well, that and my AIOs typically provide configurations that include every payload pre-configured on all chainloaders, so people don't have to ask things like "how to I get this working with Luma" -- my configurations have it already hotkeyed, just drag and drop. And for chainloaders that have a default option, I include additional files per CFW that can just be renamed to make the desired CFW the default. Recent advances now mean I can make all those individual chainloader configurations one, and switch both chainloaders and default payloads with scripts within folders (and as I said, even switch exploits using backups of firm partitions).

"Aurora plans to deprecate legacy with the 8.1.1release, and fully delete it after a grace period if there are no issues with 8.1.1 that legacy doesn't have. When this happens, I will also be deleting all of the legacybuilds from my site." Seems like a pretty good warning @Kazuma77, but maybe that's just me.

I'd also like to mention that someone hosting another build of the legacy branch but not having the source would be a GPL violation.

Trying to use a license that's meant to promote openness for the opposite. Evil. Nice try, but you've made one mistake. IIRC, the GPL has an exception for if the person is inhibited from obtaining the source, or it is otherwise rendered unobtainable. The people who wrote the GPL were onto such nastiness and created exceptions to keep it from being misused in the way you're attempting to.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
IIRC, the GPL has an exception for if the person is inhibited from obtaining the source, or it is otherwise rendered unobtainable.
Since astro distributes builds on a website server (and thus not a physical medium), he's obligated to provide access to the source of the builds he's currently hosting. Please read the GNU GPL, version 3, more specifically section 6d, again.

The burden of distributing the source is on the person distributing those builds, and only when those builds are available, aka not astro anymore.

Convey the object code by offering access from a designated place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no further charge. You need not require recipients to copy the Corresponding Source along with the object code. If the place to copy the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source may be on a different server (operated by you or a third party) that supports equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain clear directions next to the object code saying where to find the Corresponding Source. Regardless of what server hosts the Corresponding Source, you remain obligated to ensure that it is available for as long as needed to satisfy these requirements.

Please note that the GNU GPL uses the word "corresponding" and doesn't mention any additional obligation whatsoever (in the case builds are hosted on a web server).

Last edited by TuxSH,
Reactions: RustInPeace

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since astro distributes builds on a website server (and thus not a physical medium), he's obligated to provide access to the source of the builds he's currently hosting. Please read the GNU GPL, version 3, more specifically section 6d, again.

The burden of distributing the source is on the person distributing those builds, and only when those builds are available, aka not astro anymore.

Please note that the GNU GPL uses the word "corresponding" and doesn't mention any additional obligation whatsoever (in the case builds are hosted on a web server).

I'm not going to waste my time. It's not like I'm considering a lawsuit. But the EFF's lawyers would rip your interpretation apart in a court of law. You already know who I believe was correct on the subject of copyright -- Andrew Jackson (in his finding that they were unnecessary, and that being the first to the market was the only incentive anyone needed).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what? "Corresponding" obviously doesn't mean what you think it means. That whole sentence is simply stating that the source can be a separate download from the compiled object (nobody is *required to bundle the source in the same archive as the binary) and in fact, can be on an entirely different server.

The word "Corresponding" refers to the exact branch used to build any given binary.

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.