Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's a lot of negativity going around. And there's no reason for it.
Oh, it's simple self-selection bias... there's little advantage of most people posting a praise, while unvoiced complaints (regardless of merit, technical possibility, and politeness) are guaranteed to be ignored :)

hese types of more public places tend to fill up with either people who don't read the existing documentation and expect personalized service like they paid you for it, or trolls that seemingly feed on negativity.
try unconventional things and take the time to outline/document reproduce-ability, is how the bugs and features that make the difference from "it works" to "polished" get caught or implemented.
For sticky

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dies Luma work with 11.5 already for n3ds xl?
Because would like to update but could not find any info if it‘s working.

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't use nightlies, the normal release is fine. If you're on A9LH with Luma 7.0.5 you can also update to 11.5 (you can upgrade to B9S if you wish but isn't necessary for the firmware update).
Ok thanks for your quick answer. All my other devices are on b9s too so i will update this one also to b9s and then all systems to 11.5 :)

Reactions: Quantumcat

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks for your quick answer. All my other devices are on b9s too so i will update this one also to b9s and then all systems to 11.5 :)

I keep a couple of units on A9LH for testing purposes, but there's really no practical reason to be hanging onto it. Just about everything I ran on A9LH runs on B9S now. And as QC said, the current stable can run 11.5 fine (so can pretty much any Luma or Luma-based release that's come out within the past year for that matter). 11.5 didn't even update NATIVE_FIRM. It's pretty hard to break a CFW without updating the main file that gets patched.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here's a suggestion that maybe would be nice to implement just in case.
Have an option in Luma3DS to disable the Activity Log at all times.

We still don't know exactly how Nintendo got the hang of which consoles to ban and which not, so disabling the Activity Log would be a nice counteraction... Just in case.
That's the only place where every app opened is still in record, and for those who use CIAs for emus, apps and other stuff, giving the axe to the Activity Log can be a preventive measure.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a suggestion that maybe would be nice to implement just in case.
Have an option in Luma3DS to disable the Activity Log at all times.

We still don't know exactly how Nintendo got the hang of which consoles to ban and which not, so disabling the Activity Log would be a nice counteraction... Just in case.
That's the only place where every app opened is still in record, and for those who use CIAs for emus, apps and other stuff, giving the axe to the Activity Log can be a preventive measure.

But we do know. The information is in. Activity Log information is not sent. Which is why it's one of those false theories listed. What is sent is the title ID you are currently running. As long as you run your homebrew offline, you should be fine. However, there are apps that can delete the Activity Log if you're concerned, like Cthulhu. Some say that doesn't do it completely though, and that you need to delete the PTM and Activity Log saves. I could write you a GM9 script that does this if you like. It won't even be difficult.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
But we do know. The information is in. Activity Log information is not sent. Which is why it's one of those false theories listed. What is sent is the title ID you are currently running. As long as you run your homebrew offline, you should be fine. However, there are apps that can delete the Activity Log if you're concerned, like Cthulhu. Some say that doesn't do it completely though, and that you need to delete the PTM and Activity Log saves. I could write you a GM9 script that does this if you like. It won't even be difficult.
I mostly run all my apps offline.
However, there are certain apps which require you to be online to be updated or download info, like Luma Updater, freeShop, PKSM, FBI, etc.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Would you mind explaining me how, please?
Switch to Download Play, open rosalina, go into misc. settings -> set current title as HBL app. Back out to misc. settings again, select save settings. Exit download play, close app, launch download play.

If it doesn't work (it has 100% success rate) you need to download the new hbmenu from fincs's github

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Would you mind explaining me how, please?
Put the 3dsx file in your 3ds folder and hold L, Select, and Down on the D-pad while in the Download Play application to enter the Rosalina menu. Choose miscellaneous then set hb to current app. Press B a few times to get out of the menu. Press Home and exit Download Play and go back into it. You are in the homebrew launcher. Pick the thing you want to run.

Edit: :ph34r:

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be for the best if homebrew apps switched to valid IDs. Anyone going to miss the Imagine series? Didn't think so.

I don't think there is a .3dsx for Freeshop, but CIAngel should work. Also, as promised, here's a script. I haven't tested it, so backup your NAND just in case something goes wrong. But it should work. I got the information from 3DBrew so it should be right.

EDIT: Removed. Look for the next release of my AIO pack. It will have a more complete solution.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It would be for the best if homebrew apps switched to valid IDs. Anyone going to miss the Imagine series? Didn't think so.

I don't think there is a .3dsx for Freeshop, but CIAngel should work. Also, as promised, here's a script. I haven't tested it, so backup your NAND just in case something goes wrong. But it should work. I got the information from 3DBrew so it should be right.
Awesome, thank you for this!
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to all the App9 and Luma full features, so would you please tell me how to run the script? And how often does it run?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water