Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cygen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I Think something went wrong with my 3DS while preparing to update the latest luma.
I Hope somebody here can help me cause I kinda think that luma "could be" (not saying *it is* but *could be*) the issue.

I followed the plailect guide for updating A9LH and Luma. ( https://plailect.github.io/Guide/updating-a9lh )
and everything seemed fine and easy until I came to section 2 where I hat to start the system while pressing down. Instead of the a9lh update the luma setting screen opened up. I activated the usual settings that are also in section 3 of the guide and after pressing start to save them all I got was a Black Screen (no matter how long I waited)
Force Shutdown of console to use the a9lh update (this time holdung down button worked) and it finished without problem.
But now I still have the problem of a black screen every time I power it on.

Only backups I have (no clue how to use them if I have to use them) are a copy of the SD (1 month old) and the files of the first A9LH installation that the guide at that time told me to save (2months old content: otp.bin and the files 9 folder)

edit: was an Old 3ds XL with 11.2 sysnand A9LH/Luma

Last edited by Cygen,

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Since I installed Luma 6.5, I don't be able to launch my sysnand anymore.

The o3DS has A9HL 2 installed: sysnand 4.5/emunand 11.2.
I just replaced the arm9loaderhax.bin, and deleted the config in the luma folder as usual when an update is out.
Launched luma menu with select and set up the settings again (as usual).
The only thing that is modified is that FBI is injected in the healthy&Safety app and that Devmenu is installed on sysnand.

I am still able to launch sysnand via the Gateway card but I want to launch my sysnand again without the Gateway card.

And how could I use it without sd-card?
Must I just do the Plailect guide again (part installing A9hl)? Or how does it works.
I already manually copy the luma folder to /rw on sysnand and copy the arm9loaderhax.bin in the root of my ctrnand.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I installed Luma 6.5, I don't be able to launch my sysnand anymore.

The o3DS has A9HL 2 installed: sysnand 4.5/emunand 11.2.
I just replaced the arm9loaderhax.bin, and deleted the config in the luma folder as usual when an update is out.
Launched luma menu with select and set up the settings again (as usual).
The only thing that is modified is that FBI is injected in the healthy&Safety app and that Devmenu is installed on sysnand.

I am still able to launch sysnand via the Gateway card but I want to launch my sysnand again without the Gateway card.

And how could I use it without sd-card?
Must I just do the Plailect guide again (part installing A9hl)? Or how does it works.
I already manually copy the luma folder to /rw on sysnand and copy the arm9loaderhax.bin in the root of my ctrnand.

yeah, all you have to do is place arm9loaderhax.bin on ctrnand root and the luma folder in /rw. when the sd card is out, it will load arm9loadethax.bin from ctrnand

you also need a9lh v3

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have a black screen enable developer features (set them to ErrDisp). If you see a "svcBreak" and "loader" as process, you didn't read the warning in the changelog. Your setup is BAD, you have an old and prepatched Home Menu and NS modules, which would never get updated with system updates: this is a recipe for disaster.

Cygen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was pretty sure I never did anything with HomeMenu or NS but if thats the case: how would I have to proceed to (hopefully) fix it?
with Err Display I indeed see svcBreak but nothing about "loader"

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you have a black screen enable developer features (set them to ErrDisp). If you see a "svcBreak" and "loader" as process, you didn't read the warning in the changelog. Your setup is BAD, you have an old and prepatched Home Menu and NS modules, which would never get updated with system updates: this is a recipe for disaster.

I read the warning in the changelog before updating.
That's why I installed a clean AGB_FIRM from 3DNUS before upgrading. (I had one for launching modified GBA Virtual console games before I even had A9HL)
but that's not the problem.

Indeed, I have a "svcBreak" error.
But I never modified Home Menu and NS modules in any way.
And by old, do you mean 4.5 (sysnand) isn't supported any more?

I hope that your walkthrough that will release soon will solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I see Cygen has exactly the same problem like me

Last edited by JordenNixNix,

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I read the warning in the changelog before updating.
That's why I installed a clean AGB_FIRM from 3DNUS before upgrading. (I had one for launching modified GBA Virtual console games before I even had A9HL)
but that's not the problem.

Indeed, I have a "svcBreak" error.
But I never modified Home Menu and NS modules in any way.
And by old, do you mean 4.5 (sysnand) isn't supported any more?

I hope that your walkthrough that will release soon will solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Before A9LH and Luma someone made patched cias for Home Menu and NS to make the console region-free. The bad part is that those pre-patched Home Menu and NS also had a version with spoofed title version, hence they would never get updated from a system update. I don't really need to say how BAD it is to have an old system module (an important one like NS, too) which never gets updated.

What 3DS OS version is this? Do you have a firmware.bin in /luma?

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

Cygen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Before a9lh i was using rx in emunand with 9.2 sysnand then I did the A9lh installation and was since then running A9LH + Luma and updated luma with the cia update tool.
Latest working thing was: Luma 6.3.1 with 11.2 sysnand on EUR Old 3ds XL

Last edited by Cygen,

VioletX

Trophies
XP
Country
So i tried to update A9LH (to do the nand stuff) but everytime i want to update it, i get this:
payload_stage1.bin exceeds size or does not exist (or something like that)

followed the guide and downloaded everything so.. dunno.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
before a9lh i was using rx emunand then I did the A9lh installation und was running A9LH + Luma and updated luma with the cia update. latest working thing was: Luma 6.3.1 with 11.2 sysnond on EUR Old 3ds XL
Try to reinstall Home Menu and NS. Maybe for some weird reason PM (which luma never even touches) crashes when loader does, I don't know

Cygen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you tell me how I can reinstall these 2 if I cant even start the system?
edit: i was glad that a noob like me could install a9lh

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So i tried to update A9LH (to do the nand stuff) but everytime i want to update it, i get this:
payload_stage1.bin exceeds size or does not exist (or something like that)

followed the guide and downloaded everything so.. dunno.
Easy mistake. You have to make sure you copy the contents of releaze.7z from the arm9loaderhax release to /a9lh as well as the files from data_input_V3

Reactions: VioletX

VioletX

Trophies
XP
Country
Easy mistake. You have to make sure you copy the contents of releaze.7z from the arm9loaderhax release to /a9lh as well as the files from data_input_V3
oh wow i'm a idiot lol.
was checking my 3DS and then checked the guide again, guess i read the wrong line then >.<

Thanks buddy, working now^^

gamer-2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like u use
If you're referring to torrent files,no I don't use them. As for pirating no there as well. I have no need for it. If I want it is buy it. Other then that Iwouldn't engage in a criminal activity. It would hurt my business. Sense I don't get many changes to play anything anymore I just used the updater.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cygen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there more to downgrading Luma other then: putting back the a9loaderhax.bin in root and maybe overwrite luma folder with my 1 month old backup? (did not do much except pokemon demo so I tried to use the easy methop of copy pasting from the sd copy)

Cause even Luma 6.3.1 showed the same errors
(If nothing else works I could try to restore the emunand backup to sysnand with this hourglas thing and the *keep a9lh option* and redo the last 2 months of updates and homebrew)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging