Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Weeell I wanted to give a look at NordLocker on my oldest PC
Seems it doesn't like Windows 8. It doesn't start in a good way x_x

Edit : Just gave a try with an emulator, and it can't read my save. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellp I had hopes something was going in the right way, we're back to step one. Urg.

Last edited by Rick Astley,
  • Sad
Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weeell I wanted to give a look at NordLocker on my oldest PC
Seems it doesn't like Windows 8. It doesn't start in a good way x_x

Edit : Just gave a try with an emulator, and it can't read my save. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellp I had hopes something was going in the right way, we're back to step one. Urg.

hmmmm... sorry. I haven't any problems with it. Have you tried Asus Webstorage?

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it's simple :
Encryption happens directly in the PC. I was hoping to have just being encrypted cloud side, but nah, sadly. So it can't read something that doesn't look like the right file :/

For Asus Webstorage, not sure it fits my needs sadly

Reactions: AncientBoi

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I personally use OneDrive 1TB and just keep renewing my family sub once a year when on sale. Since I regularly use Office 365, it’s just part of the package.

I do have a Synology NAS but since it didn’t work the way I was hoping, it’s been relegated to TimeMachine backups and shadow copying my image/video libraries.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Additional to pcloud and icecloud exists e.g. degoo which offers also lifetime plans. But this really cheap and known they cancel the membership if digital right infrigment is found. https://degoo.com/
lifetime plans

Thanks a lot for your anwer, I've did a google doc with a LOT of tests based on my needs. You can find it here :

It's really personal, and I'm still trying to update it.

In the end, Filen / OneDrive and Syncthings are interesting. But all have some + and bad points sadly :/

I personally use OneDrive 1TB and just keep renewing my family sub once a year when on sale. Since I regularly use Office 365, it’s just part of the package.

I do have a Synology NAS but since it didn’t work the way I was hoping, it’s been relegated to TimeMachine backups and shadow copying my image/video libraries.

I'm curious about the OneDrive sales oh ? How much are they ? When they do happen ? OneDrive is like in my top tier spot (cf doc earlier) so yeaaah it could be interesting for me to save some money here.

Thanks to you too <3

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As a safe cloud exist also https://mega.io/. There you need to create a Masterkey for your data, without it everything is gone.

Nextcloud need to be set up all on your own by renting a server or using a Raspberry Pi at home. In comparisim exist "WD MyCloud home" a full ready Cloud server that only need set up at home and acts like a normal cloud and theire apps including explorer integration.

Never heard about filen, but german data privacy is very high. There exist no backdoor for the state and their instiutions. Thats why E.g. Microsoft needed to face it and to set up Datacenters in the EU to meet our standards.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: Rick Astley

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot for your answers ! <3

I already have a Mega account, but ngl, the price is a little too high based on what i've seen elsewhere. Not by a lot, could fit in the ones to look at, but I just feel like that I can get better deals elsewhere.

I gave a look at Nextcloud based on renting a server. But I can't find anything logical there. You have to spend like the price of one year for just one month if I want a big storage, I'm just so lost.

Glad to hear that Germany Policy about privacy is that good. It makes Filen almost perfect for my needs. We're going in the right way.

In the end, I just wish that OneDrive had a better privacy policy, 70€ with Word included was really interesting haha

Thanks a lot <3

Edit : https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box
Just found this. And it's really interesting wow

Last edited by Rick Astley,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Microsoft 365 for Family plan is normally £80 per year for up to 6 accounts, and each get 1TB of OneDrive. It’s also on sale like every other month for £35-45 depending where you look. For me, it makes perfect sense (and gets more use than my Netflix subscription). I get it for office, and OneDrive is the bonus… and I’ve found works far better than Dropbox ever did (still salty that Dropbox cancelled the 50GB offer I used to have from buying a Samsung phone, without warning).

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to look at some sales, but can't find anything. Ngl, getting this Cloud solution is really a must have now. I've 4 PC, got issues of files missings etc. I'm not even interested in more space, but REALLY for something that gets centralized easily.

In the end, I've looking at NextCloud, tried it and I really love it. But i don't know if I should go :
  • Rent a server (Based on the link sent above)
  • Use my old raspberry pi in order to host NextCloud on it. But i'd fall on everything i've hated with my NAS. But free pretty much.
  • OneDrive (privacy still meh and only one folder sync)
Thanks o/

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to look at some sales, but can't find anything. Ngl, getting this Cloud solution is really a must have now. I've 4 PC, got issues of files missings etc. I'm not even interested in more space, but REALLY for something that gets centralized easily.

In the end, I've looking at NextCloud, tried it and I really love it. But i don't know if I should go :
  • Rent a server (Based on the link sent above)
  • Use my old raspberry pi in order to host NextCloud on it. But i'd fall on everything i've hated with my NAS. But free pretty much.
  • OneDrive (privacy still meh and only one folder sync)
Thanks o/

One thing to remember is black friday is around the corner so there may be some discounts.

Be aware though older model Pis are slower e.g. 10/100 Ethernet, USB 2.0, etc.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a little far away based on the urge i've now to get this solved (like atm, I'll have to leave my place next week for a few weeks, and i've to copy / paste everything I need like a dumb idiot hahaha) but I'll 100% get my eyes on it in case.

Oh dang my Pi is really old haha, I think this one is like 5 yo or something like that, I used it in order to put some Retro games on it but was too annoying in the end. I'm still not fan of the idea x_x

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry if i repeat this, but if you think about a Raspberry with Nextcloud and you dont like the fact messing around with it. Take a look at the WD Cloud home which i mentioned a few times, i dont know if you havent already.

This is NOT a classical NAS, there is simply nothing to configure. Its just a Cloud Space and acts like Onedrive, google drive or what ever. Its a ready self hosted Cloud that will be accessed directly if your in the same network, or over Western digital Server if you access it from outside.

You even cannot use smb or ftp to access the data on it. With ftp you can only access a seperate storage for Backup porpose, not the Cloudstorage. If iam correct there is also a twin drive that uses raid 1 for data consisteny.

The only thing that can be configured are the Cloudusers, or activate e.g a Plex or Sonos server. Thats it.

Edit: This WD Cloud home cost ~130€ for 2TB up to ~240€ for 8TB. Or a home duo 8TB with Raid 1 (data mirroring) ~300€

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's something that implies to be self hosted and to spend money on it, which I already did with a 1200$ NAS which died 4 months after and didn't suit my case at all since I'm moving too much and I can't keep it on

I just threw the Raspberry Pi idea to have something meanwhile since I don't use it anymore haha, I'm not really fan of the idea itself because of the issues said above x_x

Thanks o/

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if i repeat this, but if you think about a Raspberry with Nextcloud and you dont like the fact messing around with it. Take a look at the WD Cloud home which i mentioned a few times, i dont know if you havent already.

This is NOT a classical NAS, there is simply nothing to configure. Its just a Cloud Space and acts like Onedrive, google drive or what ever. Its a ready self hosted Cloud that will be accessed directly if your in the same network, or over Western digital Server if you access it from outside

You even cannot use smb or ftp to access the data on it. With ftp you can only access a seperate storage for Backup porpose, not the Cloudstorage. If iam correct there is also a twin drive that uses raid 1 for data consisteny.

The only thing that can be configured are the Cloudusers, or activate e.g a Plex or Sonos server. Thats it.

Edit: This WD Cloud home cost ~130€ for 2TB up to ~240€ for 8TB.

I would avoid WD cloud after the issues they’ve had a while ago.

Had a thought though, does OPs router have a USB port? Might be able to use that as a NAS and maybe the Pi to host a VPN server, etc.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would avoid WD cloud after the issues they’ve had a while ago.
Maybe you should avoid using Windows and Linux or Smartphones because they have issues and need regulary a fix or update for it. Especially for security risks.

And seting up a Raspberry Pi Server with a VPN is for sure less problematic, because you need to take care on it by your self. Especially to be able acess it from outside without security risks for your network, so you will need a external server or a VPN provider which allows you inbound connection.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you should avoid using Windows and Linux or Smartphones because they have issues and need regulary a fix or update for it. Especially for security risks.

And seting up a Raspberry Pi Server with a VPN is for sure less problematic, because you need to take care on it by your self. Especially to be able acess it from outside without security risks for your network.

The reason why I suggested avoiding WD was because of them dropping support for a number of devices a few years back and the issue where drives were being remotely factory reset due to an unpatched vulnerability.

Self hosting has maintenance issues no matter what method is used, but different methods may see different levels of support.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The reason why I suggested avoiding WD was because of them dropping support for a number of devices a few years back and the issue where drives were being remotely factory reset due to an unpatched vulnerability.
And Microsoft is not dropping support for older Versions of Windows or Apple for older iphones. And they dont have unpatched vulnerability which causes issues.. or a update produces issues and need to fix it with a secondary update.
Or Nintendo is not dropping support for 3DS,Wii, WiiU...

BTW: Because of the reset, the only thing you had to do e.g. was to reconfigure the plex server by reactivating, reconfigure the media pathes and rerun the scan. Thats all..

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
And Microsoft is not dropping support for older Versions of Windows or Apple for older iphones. And they dont have unpatched vulnerability which causes issues.. or a update produces issues and need to fix it with a secondary update.
Or Nintendo is not dropping support for 3DS,Wii, WiiU...

I wouldn't advise using either OS when unsupported/not reasonably updated, at least not as daily drivers without restrictions.

My games consoles don't contain irreplaceable data, nor have they to my knowledge been exploited using a WAN based attack without user intervention.

Ironically, this is actually an argument for the RPi, since that's still currently to my knowledge supported in some form.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well getting a WD Cloud solution was something I had in mind years ago when I saw one on sale (not a long after being a thing released here) but yeah, I already had this issue (which I'd have with the RPi) of getting synchronized where I want to go.

The advantage I had in mind (if possible) with the RPi was to put NextCloud, bring it with me if necessary and connect it to the place I go

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer