Hardware *long* 3DS shortcomings?

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest gripe is that the innovative touch screen games on the DS aren't well-suited for the 3DS. Some of my favorite games such as Phoenix Wright, Picross 3D, Meteos, and many others used the touch screen for the main gameplay. Now the top 3D screen is the main focus, so they have to compensate by not directly touching the action, like they do in Nintendogs 3DS. Like a trade-off for the touch screen, we've now been given an analog control, and now we can properly play games such as Super Mario. I expect most 3DS games to simply use the touch screen as an equip/inventory menu, and not in the innovative ways we saw on the DS.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
My biggest gripe is that the innovative touch screen games on the DS aren't well-suited for the 3DS. Some of my favorite games such as Phoenix Wright, Picross 3D, Meteos, and many others used the touch screen for the main gameplay. Now the top 3D screen is the main focus, so they have to compensate by not directly touching the action, like they do in Nintendogs 3DS. Like a trade-off for the touch screen, we've now been given an analog control, and now we can properly play games such as Super Mario. I expect most 3DS games to simply use the touch screen as an equip/inventory menu, and not in the innovative ways we saw on the DS.
you still use the touchscreen to look around in re:mercenaries.. and i would much rather use the motion control as the right analog for fps instead of aiming with the touchscreen.....cmon cod im waiting with a 3ds ninty hard-on

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
The real problem with the 3DS is that it is still very young. The Sony and Microsoft teams seem a lot more adept at doing the SNES/SMW trick of having at least one launch game with a lot of longevity- Nintendo still appear to be flailing- though the third party support is there it is not as reliable and therefore we mainly have Ninty first party games to be excited about.
Remember when the DS came out and we all complained that it was just a souped up GBA with a gimmicky touch screen, and it would never work as you can only look at one screen at a time? And the best game was a port of an N64 game?
Or what about that time the Wii came out and we all said it was nothing but a souped up Gamecube with stupid motion controls, and it would never work as you would hurt your wrists or break your TV? And the best game was a port of a Gamecube game?

Nintendo are currently at a point where their consoles are slow burners- quietly looking like failures in the background while they gather momentum. Provided developers find innovative ways to incorporate the 3D and gyro, as they did with the touch screen and the motion controls before, the 3DS will hit it's stride. It may take 18 months or more, but it'll get there

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nikkuchan said:
This brings me to another point: Please forgive me for my lack of understanding, but from what I understand, displaying 3D requires things to be rendered twice, which drops frame rates, and could potentially limit what can be done on the system. What if someone wanted to really push the system, and opted to make a non-3D game in order to get the best performance/graphics/speed/whatever out of the system? What if, for any reason, someone wanted to make a non-3D game? Would people care? Would people just ignore it, thinking “why would I get a 3DS game that isn't in 3D?” I really hope the system and the developers don't get tied down to the 3D, where all games just HAVE to be in 3D.

It's how you optimise a game, some developers haven't gotten the 60 FPS in 3D, however Nintendo stated they managed to get Mariokart running at 60fps in 3D and also Tekken 3D is supposedly running at 60fps in 3D as well.

Nintendo already said 3D isn't necessary for every game...developers can freely choose what they want to do.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Listen man, I do agree with some of your points. However, these kind of threads do tend to bring down the popularity, due to a lot of negetive points you listed here. Sure, the DS was for everybody, but that was only after a year or 2. There might be some shortcomings indeed, but those fall into oblivion if you have the console. As a owner of one, I do really like it, and I was actually suprised of the performance of the console. The game library might still be a bunch of ports now, but it will surely change, as the console is still brand new.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
boktor666 said:
Listen man, I do agree with some of your points. However, these kind of threads do tend to bring down the popularity, due to a lot of negetive points you listed here. Sure, the DS was for everybody, but that was only after a year or 2. There might be some shortcomings indeed, but those fall into oblivion if you have the console. As a owner of one, I do really like it, and I was actually suprised of the performance of the console. The game library might still be a bunch of ports now, but it will surely change, as the console is still brand new.
Exactly. In fact, almost every console has kind of a rough start.

The 3DS was only launched a few months ago...

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im fairly certain that only non-3ds owning people make these threads... not many people i know that own a 3ds and are sorry they bought it for any reason...these hate threads towards a systems that the op has prob never picked up for more than 20 mins gets real old, and easier to point out the invalid points as time goes on.....why down a console you have no interest in???

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Demonstryde said:
im fairly certain that only non-3ds owning people make these threads... not many people i know that own a 3ds and are sorry they bought it for any reason...these hate threads towards a systems that the op has prob never picked up for more than 20 mins gets real old, and easier to point out the invalid points as time goes on.....why down a console you have no interest in???

I agree, don't forget the "I won't buy it until it's hacked" contingent is still high

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
The 3DS has pretty nice gyroscope controls that allow for motion control, but having motion controls on a system that requires it to be stationary to be properly viewed seems contradictory (though I'm confident Nintendo will find a great use for it).
The gyroscope is pretty useless when 3D is on. For most games at this stage anyway.
You tilt you DS a little and you start seeing double or tripple.
Example: Zelda..
Totally useless on Zelda really. Slight movement and you dont even know where the fuck you are aiming at.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanveer said:
QUOTE said:
The 3DS has pretty nice gyroscope controls that allow for motion control, but having motion controls on a system that requires it to be stationary to be properly viewed seems contradictory (though I'm confident Nintendo will find a great use for it).
The gyroscope is pretty useless when 3D is on. For most games at this stage anyway.
Totally useless on Zelda really. Slight movement and you dont even know where the fuck you are aiming at.
That's why you turn 3D off.
wink.gif

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
Tanveer said:
QUOTE said:
It's really an either/or situation. You either have the 3D on and don't use the gyroscope or you have the 3D off and use the gyroscope. It's really up to the user. I like using the gyroscope in Zelda as it is a much smoother and easier way of aiming.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't really care if it is locked or not.... but region locked? and I live in Australia where game cost way more than what you guys is paying for in the US. They also cancelled the game i am waiting for the most , make that 2 game. I probably won't buy the 3ds...

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
clegion said:
Don't really care if it is locked or not.... but region locked? and I live in Australia where game cost way more than what you guys is paying for in the US. They also cancelled the game i am waiting for the most , make that 2 game. I probably won't buy the 3ds...
Seriously, IMO they are not great games

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
heartgold said:
Tanveer said:
QUOTE said:

wink.gif
You expect me to turn that shit off every time I have to aim at some shit? loool
Havent touched my 3DS almost a month now
tongue.gif
. You know I am waiting for the Vita lol.
If I could trade in for giftcard, I would trade it in right away. I am not sure if its out of question though.
Trade in value is still 149 at game
biggrin.gif
. I got it for 159, so its all good for me.

30084pm said:
Tanveer said:
It's really an either/or situation. You either have the 3D on and don't use the gyroscope or you have the 3D off and use the gyroscope. It's really up to the user. I like using the gyroscope in Zelda as it is a much smoother and easier way of aiming.
lol, thats like saying, eat "insert food name" but you are not allowed to use fork or whatever.
bad example, but you get the point
tongue.gif

Its not fully satisfactory if you have to go for either or the other.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I don't think region lock affects much to the US/JP market

But to the EU/AU market, it seems like a huge bomb

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
chris888222 said:
I don't think region lock affects much to the US/JP market

But to the EU/AU market, it seems like a huge bomb
thats because its barely ever the case that the EU gets something great that the US is missing out.
however, the other way around, US gets a lot of stuff localized that EU doesnt get.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanveer said:
heartgold said:
Tanveer said:
QUOTE said:
wink.gif
You expect me to turn that shit off every time I have to aim at some shit? loool
Havent touched my 3DS almost a month now
tongue.gif
. You know I am waiting for the Vita lol.
If I could trade in for giftcard, I would trade it in right away. I am not sure if its out of question though.
Trade in value is still 149 at game
biggrin.gif
. I got it for 159, so its all good for me.

haha chill bro, anyway I agree gyro isn't suited with 3D, if developers want to include gyro it should be for 2D games only.

You should trade it in if you're really unhappy.
smile.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Seriously, if more game projects are being cancelled, MGS turns out bad, and there is no MH on the 3DS, I'll sell my 3DS. Sorry pokemon, unless GF comes out with a RS remake, I'm giving up on you. I have pre-paid my vita, and I bet I'll enjoy it more.

Sometimes, being positive all the time can lead to even further disappointment especially when you get the stuff you won't expect.

Edit: all the time, not end. Stupid autocorrect!

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
Seriously, if more game projects are being cancelled, MGS turns out bad, and there is no MH on the 3DS, I'll sell my 3DS. Sorry pokemon, unless GF comes out with a RS remake, I'm giving up on you. I have pre-paid my vita, and I bet I'll enjoy it more.

Sometimes, being positive all the end can lead to even further disappointment especially when you get the stuff you won't expect.

Great idea, then I'll probably pick one up in 3 years time with a number of titles to choose from. I love Nintendo but right now it is fucking shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/AkzulQxOgQs?si=UIe4puLCp7NoP3r7 seldom gbatemp shoutout +1