Leaked images show possible Amazon gamepad

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If I were to buy an Android gaming console it would be that, what it called now... Ah yes, the Ouya.

Although my hacked Wii can do just about all a Ouya can for emulators, the Ouya offers HDMI upscale so I assume they might look better, but that's not to say they look bad on a Wii or whatever.

Reactions: chartube12

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any one who says this is not a "real console" well shame on you, like most of any one of these devices (more like a table in a box) they also happen to work well as a
Nes console
Snes console
Genesis console
N64 console
Dreamcast console
Ps1 console

Nah I'm just playing the last thing we need is another console instead of having a lack of games.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
To be honest, I do like to see more players on video game industry, even that android based may be not the best way, it is a starting point at least. (And as you said, emulation is a instant instant game library

I could have swore I saw this controller elsewhere.. That's it! Xbox One controller! Pretty cool I must say in that aspect.

But seriously please stop with the mobile-home consoles that's just going nowhere.
Off topic: same guy again putting rage against xbone :P:P:P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any one who says this is not a "real console" well shame on you, like most of any one of these devices (more like a table in a box) they also happen to work well as a
Nes console
Snes console
Genesis console
N64 console
Dreamcast console
Ps1 console

Nah I'm just playing the last thing we need is another console instead of having a lack of games.

For emulation, there's no refuting they're excellent for old-school emulation, but for newer games and other Android/touchscreen stuff, well, that depends. When I do get such a device, it ain't gonna be from Amazon's line of hardware.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be honest, I do like to see more players on video game industry, even that android based may be not the best way, it is a starting point at least. (And as you said, emulation is a instant instant game library

Off topic: same guy again putting rage against xbone :P:P:P
Wait, where are you seeing this rage? :unsure: all he said was that this controller looks like the Xbone controller. Which it does.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Say...isn't it possible that amazon is simply going in the gaming controller business? With a device like that and some drivers, you could make it into a third party controller for both the xbone and the ouya. I admit it doesn't explain the purchase of double helix, but it seems a bit jumping into conclusions going from just a couple of pictures with "amazon" on it.

EDIT: Arras: that'll be wiicube. He's leaving no opportunity missed to spew on anything negative when it's game related. And especially microsoft's console...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could have ripped off a better controller (PS4). It is an Android-based console so yeah just leave out the whole library of games that don't have controller functionality...

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow can everybody chill the fuck out with the hate? THIS IS A PROTOTYPE. Yeah maybe it looks similar to other controllers, big deal, ALL CONTROLLERS KIND OF LOOK PRETTY SIMILAR.

Okay I work at Amazon but like honestly why is everybody so mad at the controller design

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The back of the controller looks like it has a battery pack. Hope they add a rechargeable battery.
Or, you know, space for AA's. Because there are rechargable AA batteries out there, they're common, there's no reason to use a proprietary (and possibly expensive) battery pack unless you need the battery flat for space constraints reasons, at least that's my honest opinion.

As for the controller, it looks like an Onlive controller and an XBox One controller had a baby - seems comfortable, but a bit on the bland side. Needs more pizazz.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Or, you know, space for AA's. Because there are rechargable AA batteries out there, they're common, there's no reason to use a proprietary (and possibly expensive) battery pack unless you need the battery flat for space constraints reasons, at least that's my honest opinion.

I remember the first time I played with X360 controller, having that space dedicated for AA batteries really annoyed me,
since I have huge hands, my fingers would always feel uncomfortable since I couldn't hold it properly.

For this reason, and the much better d-pad, is why I prefer PS3 controller to X360 controller.

Reactions: tbgtbg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I remember the first time I played with X360 controller, having that space dedicated for AA batteries really annoyed me,
since I have huge hands, my fingers would always feel uncomfortable since I couldn't hold it properly.

For this reason, and the much better d-pad, is why I prefer PS3 controller to X360 controller.
That's more a matter of design than anything - if the pad had more space there, you'd be more comfortable. Having an AA compartment or at least a replacable battery is beneficial because batteries don't last forever. With the PS3's Dual Shock, if the battery dies, you either have to open up the controller and buy an aftermarket battery or buy a brand-new controller.

I personally find the Dual Shock 3 too small for my liking, I'd rather if it was slightly bigger, it makes my hand cramp up, which is why the PS4 one seems like such a huge step up to me. On top of that, the PS3's d-pad feels like razors against the thumb, playing a fighting game on this thing is sheer torture.
Aren't those gamepads with 1 in all gamepad bad? I always try to avoid them cause i play Rhythm games on PC
What's the correlation between all-in-one gamepads and rhythm games? Explain, I don't understand the problem.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's more a matter of design than anything - if the pad had more space there, you'd be more comfortable. Having an AA compartment or at least a replacable battery is beneficial because batteries don't last forever. With the PS3's Dual Shock, if the battery dies, you either have to open up the controller and buy an aftermarket battery or buy a brand-new controller.

It's true that having the battery inside the controller has these cons, but when was the last time you saw a PS3 controller battery die?
I've never seen or heard about anyone having such a problem, my PS3 is pretty old and yet i's controllers still work perfectly.

I personally find the Dual Shock too small for my liking, I'd rather if it was slightly bigger, the PS3 one makes my hand cramp up, which is why the PS4 one seems like such a huge step up to me.

I don't know how long you've been playing on a PS3 but maybe it's a case to get used to it, I have huge hands, but I play with dualshock since PS1 era, I'm just used to it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's true that having the battery inside the controller has these cons, but when was the last time you saw a PS3 controller battery die?

I've never seen or heard about anyone having such a problem, my PS3 is pretty old and yet i's controllers still work perfectly.
I've heard of plenty dying on people, actually - it's a matter of how much you use it and whether or not you follow the recharge cycle (avoiding full discharge, always charging until it's full etc.). When that thing's dead, the only option left is to use a miniUSB cable and since the slot is finnicky, those break too. All in all, integrated batteries are terrible for the consumer.
I don't know how long you've been playing on a PS3 but maybe it's a case to get used to it, I have huge hands, but I play with dualshock since PS1 era, I'm just used to it.
I've used numerous PlayStation controllers before, from the PS1 standard controller through Dual Shock 1 and 2. Either their build grew uncomfortable to me as I grew up or the texture of the d-pad contributes to it - either way, the Dual Shock 4 seems more comfortable due to the convex center of the d-pad. Playing on the Dual Shock 3 made me hate sectioned d-pads, pretty much.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to buy an Android gaming console it would be that, what it called now... Ah yes, the Ouya.

Although my hacked Wii can do just about all a Ouya can for emulators, the Ouya offers HDMI upscale so I assume they might look better, but that's not to say they look bad on a Wii or whatever.

Same here. However I have my eye on the retro n5. Android powered so when it ultimately gets hacked, I will have my pirated old games with a real old school controllers.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've heard of plenty dying on people, actually - it's a matter of how much you use it and whether or not you follow the recharge cycle (avoiding full discharge, always charging until it's full etc.). When that thing's dead, the only option left is to use a miniUSB cable and since the slot is finnicky, those break too. All in all, integrated batteries are terrible for the consumer.

But then it's not much fault of integrated batteries, it's fault of the consumer which doesn't treat it's product properly.
Blaming integrated batteries for this is the same as blaming Sony because my Vaio batteries died because I used them on the charger way too much.

I've used numerous PlayStation controllers before, from the PS1 standard controller through Dual Shock 1 and 2. Either their build grew uncomfortable to me as I grew up or the texture of the d-pad contributes to it - either way, the Dual Shock 4 seems more comfortable due to the convex center of the d-pad. Playing on the Dual Shock 3 made me hate sectioned d-pads, pretty much.

It's funny how we see this tottaly different, I Always found PS3 D-Pad amazing compared to X360's because it was sectioned.
With a sectioned d-pad, you'll never have a problem of hitting the wrong button, while on x360, if your finger slided a little bit, you'll be pressing a diagonal and then pressing a button you do not want.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But then it's not much fault of integrated batteries, it's fault of the consumer which doesn't treat it's product properly.
Blaming integrated batteries for this is the same as blaming Sony because my Vaio batteries died because I used them on the charger way too much.
Any lithium battery charger on today's market should stop the charging cycle once the battery is full - it's a safety measure to prevent Lithium batteries from overcharging and becoming hazardous. Sure, removing the battery from the laptop when charging is still good practice to avoid wasting charge cycles (ah, them flawed "smart battery" scripts) but in most cases these days, this shouldn't matter. In general, batteries don't last forever and the consumer should have the option to replace them, the circumstances in which they break can be numerous and unrelated to wrongly using the product - some might actually game for long enough periods to wear them off.
It's funny how we see this tottaly different, I Always found PS3 D-Pad amazing compared to X360's because it was sectioned.
With a sectioned d-pad, you'll never have a problem of hitting the wrong button, while on x360, if your finger slided a little bit, you'll be pressing a diagonal and then pressing a button you do not want.
I find the ridges of a sectioned d-pad deeply uncomfortable and much prefer single-piece d-pads. In comparison, the PSVita's d-pad is on another level entirely. Accidental input is more so a matter of the design than it is a matter of sectioning the d-pad itself - if it's too small or the contacts mechanism is poor, you'll obviously run into issues. Sectioning the d-pad doesn't really change this situation since the DS3 d-pad is still just one piece of plastic, what's helping you is the fact that it's huge so contacts are more spread out. :P

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yay more condroids....

fc97848_FUCK-NO.jpg

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think android consoles should just copy and paste the 360 gamepad. Ugly shit like that is a real turn off compared to the godlike sculpting of the 360 pad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1