Koichi Sugiyama, composer for the Dragon Quest series, has passed away at age 90

Koichi-Sugiyama.jpg

Today, Square Enix sadly announced that legendary video game composer Koichi Sugiyama had passed away on September 30th. Sugiyama had been with the company since its Enix days in 1985, where he created the soundtrack to the original Dragon Quest for the NES. He would go on to create a legacy by composing songs for the franchise for the next 35 years, including every mainline entry all the way up to Dragon Quest XI, and the many spinoffs, like Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Monsters, and more. Prior to his death, he was also working on tracks for the still in development Dragon Quest XII. His musical talent was important enough for Japan to honor him with an award of Person of Cultural Merit in 2020, and his composition of one of the Dragon Quest themes was featured in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

:arrow: Source

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who the hell cares about someone's beliefs? Separate the art from the artist.
It matters more when someone that famous uses his rather large platform to espouse anti Chinese, anti Korean and anti queer bullshit. I hope he enjoys denying war crimes in hell with Hirohoto and I look forward to the future of DQ without him.

Last edited by GenNaz,

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guy was a genius

Edit: Also, just brought to my attention his extremely potent beliefs. He was right about everything and would probably have survived if they announced a better final character in smash.

Last edited by Fugelmir,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It matters more when someone that famous uses his rather large platform to espouse anti Chinese, anti Korean and anti queer bullshit. I hope he enjoys denying war crimes in hell with Hirohoto and I look forward to the future of DQ without him.

Okay? So he's dead and buried, move on and stop with the derailing thread bullshit. Thanks.

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
For the people saying to separate the man from the artist, and thats its a loss for DQ, just remember thats the DQ musics are always THE SAMES since a while ago, there was no innovation in it, so good for nostalgia, but nothing new
The guy policies on licences made it a nightmare for the different localizations of games. Basically when he made licences and contract when recording orchestral music he would refuse to extand them for different localization, and thats why you could have orchestral musics in the JP version, and MIDI for the rest of the world.
Also i read somewhere that in his original contract when DQ was made they basically chained themselves to him for the musics, they were forced to go to him for anything musical for DQ. So he could enforce his conditions on anything for music or there was no DQ to be made, they couldnt get rid of him if they wanted.
My opinion on his late work on DQ was "maximized cash grab"

While the death of someone is always sad, and he did had talent, he had a long life, and the thing that come to mind while thinking about this new and the futur of DQ is "Dobby is freeeee!"

Last edited by Engezerstorung,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what derailing means but ok.

OP didn't mention his past, so what the hell does your doing that accomplish?
I don't think anyone but you seems hellbent on digging up the past. This is about his involvement with DQ and the music composition, not about his political or whatever views he had. That is not relevant to this thread,
getting real sick of this fucking bullshit.

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP didn't mention his past, so what the hell does your doing that accomplish?
I don't think anyone but you seems hellbent on digging up the past. This is about his involvement with DQ and the music composition, not about his political or whatever views he had. That is not relevant to this thread,
getting real sick of this fucking bullshit.
Kind of just sounds like you're projecting what you wanted the thread to be about. His outspoken views are a part of his legacy - a 35 year legacy that is explicitly mentioned in the OP. Whether you're able to handle that or not is not my problem.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Should we protest this man by protesting Dragon Quest games for his political views? And not support anything that has his music in it? Should we dislike anything tainted by his tracks because they came from the mind of a not so great guy?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should we protest this man by protesting Dragon Quest games for his political views? And not support anything that has his music in it? Should we dislike anything tainted by his tracks because they came from the mind of a not so great guy?

Apparently /s But hey, whatever gets people off by bitching about ones views even after they die.

Someone dead can't recant their views.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Never really liked Dragon Quest (the art style is just...eeeehhh, I've seen better), but now what are they gonna do for future games? They could reuse music from this guy's impressive library, but for new tracks they'd have to hire someone new, who will not sound the same.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apparently /s But hey, whatever gets people off by bitching about ones views even after they die.

Someone dead can't recant their views.
Well, a dead guy can recant their views through their Will, right?
If it's not in there, though, or any final letters to loved ones or similar, then...yeah, pretty much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...