Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, and artist for Dragon Quest, has passed away

Untitled.png

Famous and beloved manga creator Akira Toriyama has passed away at the age of 68. According to an official blog post made by Bird Studio--Toriyama's manga company--he passed away on March 1st, of an acute subdural hematoma. He was known for a wide variety of works, most notably as the creator of the Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump manga series, and having an influential affect on the industry. Toriyama also contributed as an art director and character designer for video games such as the Dragon Quest Series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and more. He had several projects both announced and unannounced that he was currently working on, including the anime Dragon Ball Daima, and a video game based on a manga series, Sand Land.

:arrow: Source

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think enough time has passed that I'm completely sure of the following statement. Toriyama's death is the worst celebrity passing I've experienced in my life. DBZ a major part of my childhood. That, Jackie Chan movies, and Pokemon were like the holy trinity of childhood entertainment. RIP.

Reactions: CoolMe

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Famous and beloved manga creator Akira Toriyama has passed away at the age of 68. According to an official blog post made by Bird Studio--Toriyama's manga company--he passed away on March 1st, of an acute subdural hematoma. He was known for a wide variety of works, most notably as the creator of the Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump manga series, and having an influential affect on the industry. Toriyama also contributed as an art director and character designer for video games such as the Dragon Quest Series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and more. He had several projects both announced and unannounced that he was currently working on, including the anime Dragon Ball Daima, and a video game based on a manga series, Sand Land.

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816

:arrow: Source
rest in peace Akira toriyama, truly the goat.

salazarcosplay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very sad considering that Dragon Ball was very successful in my country as an anime. I mean, it still airs from time to time on TV to this very day!
What country are you at? Italy? By chance have you seen or heard about an old anime called "La Balena Giuseppina"
RIP to a legend.

Dating myself a bit here, but when I was a kid, Dragon Ball Z was the first wholly-serial cartoon show anybody had seen. Other shows might have had some overarching plotline or two-parter episodes, bu nothing like Dragon Ball. They'd end the show on some insane cliffhanger (like are they about to blow the bad guys up finally or not!?) and you'd be waiting a whole week - may as well have been a year in a kid's brain - to find out what happens Saturday morning.

There was something weird about the original syndication where they hadn't licensed enough episodes for a full American television season - BUT instead of running through all the ones they had and then starting over from the beginning, they would pick RANDOM points at which to restart the series. So you'd get to "Goku's almost at the end of Snake road!" and then it would rewind back to the episode where Raditz arrives.

It took a full two years to get from the beginning to where the boys defeat Vegeta - after which they changed the schedule from Saturday mornings to like 4AM on a weekday and I never saw it again, lol.
I think it was very unprofessional of Ocean dub/funnimation not completing the dub and doing reruns of barely any material. I also saw those super early ocean dub episodes.
Wow, I didn't knew Akira had a son.

Let's hope Sasuke makes the right decision, whatever it is, to continue his father's legacy.
I wonder if Kishimoto named Sasuke after Toriyama;s son, In Naturo.

My story.

Before Dragonball, was about 3 years old. The animes I saw Super champions (captain Tsubasa). Remi the child of no one, Kimba the white lion, And meteoro ( Speed Racer). When I

Dragonball was the first anime I watched when I could truly follow the plot, and clearly understand the dialogues and the story. I was 4 years old at the beginning of '95. In Mexico I saw Dragonball twice from start to finish.

I moved with my family to the USA. forgot about dragonball. The n one day in the summer break, Telemundo started the Mexican dub. All the memories started coming back, it felt very sureal to be continuing the series I had began years before.

When school again started again.

My cousins had a vcr, and thus record the the episodes from Telemundo.

One of the days of waking up early for school I saw the ocean dub early in the morning on WB.

It was interesting to see the English Ocean dub adaptation. How The Ocean had their own the theme song "Rock the dragon, dragon ball Z"
-
It was interesting to watch while I was learning English, because I would at times realize things beings said were different than how I would have said them, yet they made sense.

I understood things better like Idioms, american slang, american expressions. I had a better understanding of how language is conveyed, and adapted. I ended up seeing the ocean dub episodes several times because they only aired it till episode 64, shortly after Goku arrives in Namek to fight the Ginyu force.

I did not see the Funnimation dub. Sicne I grew up without cable.

I think I remember reading something about Funnimation buying the rights to all of North America or the Americas. ithink this was very greedy, and lacking consideration.

And actually led to dragonabll z stopping its airing of rereuns in Latin America. This caused Telemundo to stop its airing after the cell saga, and according to friends the Japanese channel on cable based on hawaii had to stopped its syndication too of the Japanese dub.

they were not even projecting towards the target speaking audience of Funnimation (American English)

I often read on how and why db and dbz were popular in Mexico and Latin America. What I feel they often forget to state is that Mexico/Latin America aired on local channel and prime time hours after school hours. I am really adamant of bringing awareness, that In Mexico dubbed the series to completion. This ensured all the kids ot to see it.

It was not some paywall like Funnimation putting DBZ on cable (cartoon Network with an incomplete dub that took forever for them to do)

Later in life I saw the DBZ kai episodes on WB/CW.

I met the Mexican voice actors when they visited the anime convention here in Texas.

I love DBZ for it's chaos theory. Events happening by chance, events that were always supposed to happen. Situations where a certain character did not have prior knowledge, and did not get information right away. Situations where something happened by chance.

Last edited by salazarcosplay,
Reactions: DS1

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Real or not... Akira Toriyama son named SASUKE TORIYAMA, will be next owner of Dragon Ball franchise....

:unsure:

Twitter added:

First off this claim is incorrect. There has been no confirmation to suggest Sasuke Toriyama is taking over. Lastly, the picture shown is Go Nagai, not Toriyama.

Reactions: AsPika2219

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know.... :unsure:
I mean, the author (Akira in this context) will give birth to his story. And I really mean his story.
Someone else won't be able to write his story the same way. Nobody can.

Reactions: AsPika2219

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He did (or was involved in) three things I always come back to in my life:
  • Dragon Ball
  • Dragon Quest Monsters
  • Chrono Trigger
I'm really sad. :(

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?