ROM Hack Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded English Translation

orma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patch only locks up when trying to access the "CPU" unit to change difficulty from what I see. The other problem was locking up on the Configuration screen and has been fixed.

Not to far in the game, but everything else looks solid...

While I'm here, I just wanna say keep up the awesome work!

xDarkAngelx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much, I'm so caught up with school nowadays that I completely lost track of release dates! I looked around though and from what I can see it works clean on the SCDS2 EOS 1.07.

And now I'll proceed to basking in the utter beauty of Kingdom Hearts.

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I know how to fix the crashing in the Status Matrix Difficulty Cheat. Let me try... I'll upload the file if I get it working.

swordsaintscoot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
awesome to hear truth

and uh, cant wait until the full release
smile.gif

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
swordsaintscoot said:
how does one re-do the patch the way you're asking?

im new to all this stuff.

You can use dsbuff to unpack your rom, add my file and pack it again or just wait for someone to make a new patch with the matrix fix.

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gimme a few minutes and I'll make an updated patch and upload it.

UPDATE
Inserting that particular file doesn't fix the freezing issue. I just tested it on AKAIO 1.7.1 and it still happens.

It's the text that appears only the first time that you hover over the difficulty circuit.

That specific text is in data/ui/menu/str/ja/tuto.s.z

UPDATE 2
As a test, I inserted the original matrix.s.z file into the game and tried it. The freeze problem was fixed.

From what I can tell, and I've had this problem before with other games, is that the game has a set limit for how big matrix.s.z can be.

Your translated matrix.s.z is 4.29KB in size, the original is only 3.65KB in size. If this is the problem, and I do believe that it is, your best and easiest option will be to shorten your translations for that file. Try and keep the filesize close to the original size. Otherwise, you're probably looking at ASM hacking to increase the set size limit for that file. That's a lot of headaches for a game coming out really soon.

Another possibility is that somewhere in the matrix.s.z file, the tool that you're using to dump and the re-insert the text is not properly re-pointing part of the text. Bad pointers can definitely cause this problem.

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
neoxephon said:

UPDATE
Inserting that particular file doesn't fix the freezing issue. I just tested it on AKAIO 1.7.1 and it still happens.

It's the text that appears only the first time that you hover over the difficulty circuit.

UPDATE 2
As a test, I inserted the original matrix.s.z file into the game and tried it. The freeze problem was fixed.

From what I can tell, and I've had this problem before with other games, is that the game has a set limit for how big matrix.s.z can be.

Your translated matrix.s.z is 4.29KB in size, the original is only 3.65KB in size. If this is the problem, and I do believe that it is, your best and easiest option will be to shorten your translations for that file. Try and keep the filesize close to the original size. Otherwise, you're probably looking at ASM hacking to increase the set size limit for that file. That's a lot of headaches for a game coming out really soon.

Another possibility is that somewhere in the matrix.s.z file, the tool that you're using to dump and the re-insert the text is not properly re-pointing part of the text. Bad pointers can definitely cause this problem.

What...? I tested the game with the fixed file in 3 emulators and my R4 and it worked properly, and when I tried with the old file it crashed again O.o
I don't think there's a limit to how big the file can be since that is specified by the LBA and the LBA gets resized automatically when using programs like dsbuff or dslazy.

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:

UPDATE

UPDATE 2

What...? I tested the game with the fixed file in 3 emulators and my R4 and it worked properly, and when I tried with the old file it crashed again O.o
I don't think there's a limit to how big the file can be since that is specified by the LBA and the LBA gets resized automatically when using programs like dsbuff or dslazy.

Some games have hard coded limits.

Are you sure you uploaded the fixed file?

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
neoxephon said:
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:

UPDATE

UPDATE 2

Some games have hard coded limits.

Are you sure you uploaded the fixed file?

Well, I'm pretty sure it works, look.
to.jpg

Reuploading file just in case...

EDIT: Here you go again http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GM6VRALG

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't work.

I think you've misunderstood what the problem is.

You can access the menu just fine because the save file that you're using is past the tutorial message.

The tutorial message only appears the first time you open the Status Matrix and move the cursor over the Difficulty circuit. After that, the message does not appear. So yes, it's going to work fine if you're past that point.

Start a new file and play until you unlock the Status Matrix menu. Then, open the Status Matrix and move your cursor over the Difficulty circuit. It freezes.

Here are two screenshots. The one on the left shows the message that should be appearing. The one on the right shows what happens when the English patch is used.

ke8dnq.png
kingdomheartsrecoded031.png

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
neoxephon said:
It doesn't work.

You can access the menu just fine because the save file that you're using is past the tutorial message.

The tutorial message only appears the first time you open the Status Matrix and move the cursor over the Difficulty circuit. After that, the message does not appear. So yes, it's going to work fine if you're past that point.

Start a new file and play until you unlock the Status Matrix menu. Then, open the Status Matrix and move your cursor over the Difficulty circuit. It freezes.

Here are two screenshots. The one on the left shows the message that should be appearing. The one on the right shows what happens when the English patch is used.

ke8dnq.png

Huh...? That's really weird, *points at picture*

Haha.jpg

Then why does it work for me? >_>
This is really weird >_>
I just pack the rom with my edited files and it works perfectly now.

Giratina3

Official Lilac of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:
It doesn't work.

ke8dnq.png

Haha.jpg

This is really weird >_>
I think he means if you move to the difficulty chip thing it freezes up, the message you shown is when you first open the status matrix.

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Giratina3 said:
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:
It doesn't work.

ke8dnq.png

Haha.jpg

This is really weird >_>
I think he means if you move to the difficulty chip thing it freezes up, the message you shown is when you first open the status matrix.

I know, that's what I'm saying. The new file fixed both things, the crashing problem and the blank text boxes...

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giratina3 said:
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:
It doesn't work.

ke8dnq.png

Haha.jpg

This is really weird >_>

*sigh*

You aren't listening to what I said to do. All you did was open the Status Matrix menu. You did not move your cursor to the Difficulty circuit.

I'll simplify what you need to do:
1. Start a new game
2. Play until you unlock the Status Matrix menu
3. Open the Status Matrix menu
4. Click through the tutorial messages that popup automatically the first time Status Matrix is opened.
5. Now, using your directional buttons, move the cursor over the Difficulty circuit.
6. At this point a tutorial message on the different difficulty settings should popup. It does not, the game freezes.

Truthkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
neoxephon said:
Giratina3 said:
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:
It doesn't work.

ke8dnq.png

Haha.jpg

This is really weird >_>

*sigh*

You aren't listening to what I said to do. All you did was open the Status Matrix menu. You did not move your cursor to the Difficulty circuit.

1. Start a new game
4. Click through the tutorial messages that popup automatically the first time Status Matrix is opened.
5. Now, using your directional buttons, move the cursor over the Difficulty circuit.
6. At this point a tutorial message on the different difficulty settings should popup. It does not, the game freezes.

Ohhh, so it crashes just at that point because of that specific text box. That text box doesn't belong to matrix.s.z.
I will try fixing it...
But the matrix file does solve the difficulty-changing problem as showed in one of my previous pictures. Before that it crashed anytime you wanted to change the difficulty.

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:
Giratina3 said:
Truthkey said:
neoxephon said:
It doesn't work.

ke8dnq.png

Haha.jpg

This is really weird >_>

*sigh*

1. Start a new game

Ohhh, so it crashes just at that point because of that specific text box. That text box doesn't belong to matrix.s.z.
I will try fixing it...
But the matrix file does solve the difficulty-changing problem as showed in one of my previous pictures. Before that it crashed anytime you wanted to change the difficulty.

That text box is in tuto.s.z

Try replacing your matrix.s.z with the original, untouched matrix.s.z

It doesn't freeze at that point anymore.

Somehow, matrix.s.z and tuto.s.z are linked.

Something in matrix.s.z is getting off sync with tuto.s.z and it causes the game to hang.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9pwfLTaW8J8?si=FaKUzB-OBP92LnUD