is transferring ONLY the save data between nand/external possible?

Citan_KL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more specifically copying a save -and just the save- currently on external usb hdd back over to nand.

i mostly use my usb to back up saves/updates/data, but recently played through the BotW dlc forgetting that the system prioritizes the external as save location (hate this), and then doesn't allow you to only move the save file without copying the entirety of the game's data, ie updates, dlcs, etc.. (hate this even more).

so i'm just curious if there was any homebrew (for Tiramusu modded wii u) that could make this sort of thing more convenient and not require me to shuffle/reinstall 5gb of data just to move a save?
will SaveMii do the trick and leave the game data in tact on the nand while just switching out the save file?

thanks

Citan_KL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save Mii would be the only thing and it can only copy a save to the same location the game is so if you want it on nand you would have to have game on nand.
i do, i basically have duplicate game data on nand & usb but just forgot to unplug the hdd before playing. the wii u's data management is stupid in that even if you try to move/copy over just a single segment of a game's data (for instance a tiny save file), it overwrites the entire folder at the destination, sometimes deleting gigs worth of updates/dlcs. so i just wanted to avoid that scenario, and if SaveMii allows for that then great!

if you don't mind, i see two threads for SaveMii, the original here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-savemii-wii-u-vwii-savefile-manager.466644/

and then a seemingly more recent 'WUT port' here, (but i'm not really sure what that means):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-savemii-wut-port-wii-u-vwii-savefile-manager.608824/

any suggestion which to use?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As said above if the Wii u goes out can't use that hdd on another Wii U. The best way to backup games updates and dlc is just with the Wup files so you can reinstall them on another Wii U if necessary and backup saves with SaveMii. What your doing doesn't really serve a purpose it is just causing you problems for no reason with no benefit.

Citan_KL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also consider the Backup on the USB with the Data Management won't have much woth without a otp and seeprom backup, another Wii U can't read the USB, because it uses a different key.

What your doing doesn't really serve a purpose it is just causing you problems for no reason with no benefit.
those are indeed good points. i honestly wasn't even thinking of transferring to a new Wii U; i just got into the habit of copying stuff over long ago in case maybe a single save file somehow became corrupted, or a patch/dlc was accidentally deleted and, for whatever reason, i had no way of re-installing them. i can see now this is unnecessary.

and it seems it was all for naught, as was this idea because booting up SaveMii (wut port) with my usb hdd connected results in a black screen. if i load it up with the drive disconnected it boots fine, but doesn't really help my situation as i then obviously can't copy saves to or from the drive.

any thoughts on why this is occurring? ('savemii black screen' comes up quite a bit in searches)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed