Hacking Is there a Dreamcast emulator on Vita?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostLust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I bought my Nvidia shield and looks like Shenmue isn't fully supported, so I was wondering about the Vita, also if there is, how's Shenmue on it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Only PSP mode is hacked and PSP isn't powerful enough for Dreamcast
It's just about enough for very rudimentary emulation of the Dreamcast, I've seen nullDC running on the PSP. The emulator was never released though and I think work on it has been discontinued. It's really a miracle that it worked as well as it did. :P

Reactions: SLiV3R

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's just about enough for very rudimentary emulation of the Dreamcast, I've seen nullDC running on the PSP. The emulator was never released though and I think work on it has been discontinued. It's really a miracle that it worked as well as it did. :P

Ah, i didn't knew that, thanks for showing me that, i guess it was akin to the Wii port of NullDC i guess ?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I bought my Nvidia shield and looks like Shenmue isn't fully supported, so I was wondering about the Vita, also if there is, how's Shenmue on it?

Odd, the Reicast team released an update that was supposed to fix a majority of the issues with Shenmue. You sure you're running the latest version of Reicast? I know the beginning cutscene still had some minor graphical errors, but the rest of the game should've been fully playable.

FrostLust

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Odd, the Reicast team released an update that was supposed to fix a majority of the issues with Shenmue. You sure you're running the latest version of Reicast? I know the beginning cutscene still had some minor graphical errors, but the rest of the game should've been fully playable.
To be honest I never tries but there was a list of compatible games, will check when I can, thanks and woukd be cool if you provide more info.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I never tries but there was a list of compatible games, will check when I can, thanks and woukd be cool if you provide more info.

Next time, at least try it before saying it doesn't work :lol: The compatibility list on the reicast site is pretty poor, they only list like 20 games or so and most of them haven't been tested on the latest version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reicast.emulator < download this, install it on your Shield, find the DC bios and put them in /sdcard/DC, then grab Shenmue and give it a try. Should work well enough.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I know this isnt REALLY the place to ask, but ill do it anyways. Is there anything past a POC Sega Saturn emu for the PSP?

If it's not powerful enough to emulate Dreamcast, there's no hope in hell of it being able to emulate Saturn.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why, the dreamcast is newer than the saturn

Just off the top of my head the dual SH-1 CPU's in the Saturn makes that a little harder than to emulate one single CPU. (Although I have an idea on how they do emulate it. If they just task the emulator to do every other instruction like CPU1 then CPU2 that could make it a bit easier. The problem is not all instructions take the same amount of cycles... So yeah still a bitch.)

Then there is the fact that the Saturn was the only console I know of that used square polygons, so that has to add a little bit of a challenge. (My guess is that the GPU is super custom and harder to emulate.)

I wish Saturn emulation was more mature though, it's one of the few consoles I don't own or have never had any play time with. (I have played one for about 5 minutes at a friends house.) So if they could perfect it, I would probably be pretty stoked.

Edit: Just realized a depressing fact.... I have spent hours playing CD-i games and only minutes playing a single Saturn game.... OK off to shoot myself now! Bye everyone! lol

Reactions: BortzANATOR

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why, the dreamcast is newer than the saturn

The Saturn has a lot of poorly documented custom chips that weren't designed very well in a practical sense. 6 fully custom and two semi-custom iirc. Therefore, devs had to get rather creative to make games work with the limited and weirdly placed resources. Couple that with the fact that the Saturn was intended more as a 2D machine, in Sega's infinite wisdom, with 3D reluctantly being added and poorly implemented, devs again had to do weird things to make it work. That's why for the longest time Grandia stayed on the Saturn because an easy port to PS1 would not happen. As it stands, it's also why the PS1 port has a 2D battlefield and runs rather poorly throughout the entire game with slow-down rampant on just about every map.

In short, technically it COULD happen but there is no way in hell it will. Saturn emulators on PC are still rather poor and you can be a lot sloppier with PC emulators. It would take an extremely dedicated group of coders to make an efficient emulator and it would take a lot of effort to figure out all the CPUs through decaping and whatnot.

The Dreamcast, by comparison, has less complexity, uses more open code and more open, well understood, hardware. It has it quirks, but oddly if not for the polygon counts, it would be easier to make.

If only the Vita scene would get over themselves and break open the Vita. (There are a few ways supposedly known already as to how to do it) Screw the piracy excuse. The system is already dead to Sony out west and they're just bummed they can't blame piracy. So they just ignore it in full. Throwing Indie ports on it as an appeasement. At the very least we should be able to properly use the hardware since no developers seem to care.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Saturn has a lot of poorly documented custom chips that weren't designed very well in a practical sense. 6 fully custom and two semi-custom iirc. Therefore, devs had to get rather creative to make games work with the limited and weirdly placed resources. Couple that with the fact that the Saturn was intended more as a 2D machine, in Sega's infinite wisdom, with 3D reluctantly being added and poorly implemented, devs again had to do weird things to make it work. That's why for the longest time Grandia stayed on the Saturn because an easy port to PS1 would not happen. As it stands, it's also why the PS1 port has a 2D battlefield and runs rather poorly throughout the entire game with slow-down rampant on just about every map.

In short, technically it COULD happen but there is no way in hell it will. Saturn emulators on PC are still rather poor and you can be a lot sloppier with PC emulators. It would take an extremely dedicated group of coders to make an efficient emulator and it would take a lot of effort to figure out all the CPUs through decaping and whatnot.

The Dreamcast, by comparison, has less complexity, uses more open code and more open, well understood, hardware. It has it quirks, but oddly if not for the polygon counts, it would be easier to make.

If only the Vita scene would get over themselves and break open the Vita. (There are a few ways supposedly known already as to how to do it) Screw the piracy excuse. The system is already dead to Sony out west and they're just bummed they can't blame piracy. So they just ignore it in full. Throwing Indie ports on it as an appeasement. At the very least we should be able to properly use the hardware since no developers seem to care.

Well the indie ports are working for me :P

Yeah I know its a long shot, and I honestly dont really think it will happen, nor is the interest there. I mean my interest is there, but I cant code to save my life so... Theres that. I guess I can hope for a SSF port to Vita some day but oh well. Thank you for your explanation. I guess I already knew most of that, but you fleshed it out nicely for me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know this isnt REALLY the place to ask, but ill do it anyways. Is there anything past a POC Sega Saturn emu for the PSP?
Ah, people on them internets sometimes - they'll tell you something doesn't exist without... checking if it exists. :P

Yabause was ported to the PSP - it's highly experimental, it has no GUI and it's crap, but it exists and it "works". Unfortunately, emulating the Saturn is hard due to all the on-board processors and as such doing it on anything other than a PC rig defeats the purpose.

Here's a link: http://pspslimhacks.com/yabase-0-9-10-sega-saturn-emulator-for-psp/
If it's not powerful enough to emulate Dreamcast, there's no hope in hell of it being able to emulate Saturn.
Actually, nullDC was also ported to the PSP, however there were no public releases of the emulator (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

Reactions: BortzANATOR

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
if the vita will get hacked experts at wololo says a fullspeed dreamcast emulator will happen! too bad the vita scene is dead and that device will probably never be fully hacked :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30