Hacking Is the "New Nintendo 3DS/N3DS" the end of Gateway?

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
Correct most people won't buy it, but it's their choice not nintendos, and it will probably be a similar scenario to the
GAME BOY COLOR
Where some games aren't enhanced, some are enhanced, and some are exclusive.

NOrmal GB games, GB Deluxe games, and GBCC Games.

The market has moved on since the Gameboy though... The Game Boy was a different beast at a different time period, now hand-held consoles are second to the mobile phone. I doubt Nintendo has the same luxury now where it can force people to buy a new handheld just for a few exclusive games...

I doubt the number of exclusive games will be much more then a handful, now if Nintendo released a brand new console where all new games would be incompatible then that would be a different story, but the way they are doing it I doubt people will really differentiate between the 3ds and the n3ds, especially when it comes to parents buying the hand held for their kids.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It becomes natural after some time, depending on the game that you use this for. Some games may not even be all that good to use this method on.
It never becomes natural. At least on the N3DS the stick is really close and it's more of a trackpoint than a slider, as Psionic Roshambo accurately noticed, I think. I believe it won't require a large range of movement to function, it's close to the buttons so you don't have to move your thumb too far, but it's far enough not to cause accidental input.

Remember those?
Sf6o5aX.jpg
ThX6i3c.png

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It never becomes natural. At least on the N3DS the stick is really close and it's more of a trackpoint than a slider, as Psionic Roshambo accurately noticed, I think. I believe it won't require a large range of movement to function, it's close to the buttons so you don't have to move your thumb too far, but it's far enough not to cause accidental input.

Remember those?
Sf6o5aX.jpg
ThX6i3c.png

This is probably the best they could do with out doing a massive redesign.

I kind of like the idea but at the same time I almost think they should have saved these changes for the next system.

Should work good enough for what it will be used for.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is probably the best they could do with out doing a massive redesign.

I kind of like the idea but at the same time I almost think they should have saved these changes for the next system.

Should work good enough for what it will be used for.
I think they're trying too hard to make the system compact when it would just be "better" with two analog sliders - there's no question about it. It'd add a centimeter or two to the system's width, but it'd do wonders in terms of user comfort. I'm also not sure if I like the shoulder button arrangement, but they had to arrange them horizontally rather than vertically so that the thickness doesn't increase. Choices, choices - love them design choices.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they're trying too hard to make the system compact when it would just be "better" with two analog sliders - there's no question about it. It'd add a centimeter or two to the system's width, but it'd do wonders in terms of user comfort. I'm also not sure if I like the shoulder button arrangement, but they had to arrange them horizontally rather than vertically so that the thickness doesn't increase. Choices, choices - love them design choices.

On the shoulder buttons, yeah my JXD is great for PS1 games. But those side by side shoulder buttons throw me off every time. I got so used to them being on top of each other like the PS1 that there is a huge learning curve and it never feels right even when you do get used to it.

I think they should make it more of a wedge shape to allow top and bottom R and L buttons and a little wider like you said to allow a better circle. Since the system would be slightly bigger you would have more room for a bigger battery. All things players would love.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On the shoulder buttons, yeah my JXD is great for PS1 games. But those side by side shoulder buttons throw me off every time. I got so used to them being on top of each other like the PS1 that there is a huge learning curve and it never feels right even when you do get used to it.

I think they should make it more of a wedge shape to allow top and bottom R and L buttons and a little wider like you said to allow a better circle. Since the system would be slightly bigger you would have more room for a bigger battery. All things players would love.
I hate the current trend in electronics to make everything as thin as possible - it started in the late 2000's and it's still stupid. Thin doesn't mean "better", thin just means "uncomfortable to hold, shit battery and no space for ventilation". A little bit of thickness doesn't hurt. For instance, the 3DS XL is far, far too thin for me to hold comfortably and the original 3DS is almost too thin, but I at least have a CPP for it to fix that problem.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate the current trend in electronics to make everything as thin as possible - it started in the late 2000's and it's still stupid. Thin doesn't mean "better", thin just means "uncomfortable to hold, shit battery and no space for ventillation". A little bit of thickness doesn't hurt. For instance, the 3DS XL is far, far too thin for me to hold comfortably and the original 3DS is almost too thin, but I at least have a CPP for it to fix that problem.

Seems like ergonomics was a lesson left in the past. We are going back to the NES controller in terms of form... lol

Edit:

BTW Nintendo my pointer fingers are still bent from the NES.... You bastards... lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seems like ergonomics was a lesson left in the past. We are going back to the NES controller in terms of form... lol

Edit:

BTW Nintendo my pointer fingers are still bent from the NES.... You bastards... lol
I can't imagine a Nintendo handheld console not being rectangular at this point - they always have been that way, aside from the original GBA (which was a GREAT form factor, but wouldn't work well as a clamshell).

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
people... no producer is going to throw the 3ds userbase under the bus. real exclusives are going to be few and far between. now, on the eshop, things might look a bit different. all those iphone app games, those might make use of the enhanced 3ds cpu cause it means porting some dumb game over will become easier. similar to how with the dsi, the bulk of dsi exclusive content was dumb dsi ware games.

and while i too would think a second slider would have found some room in a 3ds casing, the trackpoint should more than suffice to control the camera in a game. i mean, as far as i know, thats what its mostly been used for, isn't it?

pretty sure they will add some new hardware block for 3ds flashcards. we'll see, maybe they'll even put that new cpu power to use against gateways. definitely gonna require finding a new exploit at least

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
a.k.a. The Nipple.

Yeah the standard 3DS is a bit on the thin side to hold/play with, but if it were any fatter it wouldn't fit so easily in whatever pockets I happen to be wearing. Portable!
So portable = uncomfortable? I don't think so - it could do with at least 0.5cm more thickness, that'd improve the grip. ;)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember those?
Sf6o5aX.jpg
ThX6i3c.png

remember 'em? I'm using one right now. I love the nub on my laptop. I almost never make use of the touchpad because I love my nub; I kinda want to get a keyboard for my desktop that has a nub built in with mouse buttons under the spacebar. It's really nice for programming allowing me to move the cursor around without having to remove one of my hands from the keyboard.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
remember 'em? I'm using one right now. I love the nub on my laptop. I almost never make use of the touchpad because I love my nub; I kinda want to get a keyboard for my desktop that has a nub built in with mouse buttons under the spacebar. It's really nice for programming allowing me to move the cursor around without having to remove one of my hands from the keyboard.
There you go then. By the looks of it, the N3DS is the same sort of deal - it's a bit "too" small for a slider with an assembly, I think it's one of those nubs.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another revision already? It's the same system just a little beefier. I'm also not liking the idea of exclusives, what about the people that have already bought a 3DS, XL or 2DS?

Yep. They're pretty much SOL, as I'm sure if Nintendo has their way, the so called "exclusives" will probably phase out the standard 3ds games REALLY quickly, and everyone that owns a standard 3ds will be sitting dead in the water only a few years after the initial model's release.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. They're pretty much SOL, as I'm sure if Nintendo has their way, the so called "exclusives" will probably phase out the standard 3ds games REALLY quickly, and everyone that owns a standard 3ds will be sitting dead in the water only a few years after the initial model's release.

Not if there's only a few exclusives and most games will just simply look better on the "new 3ds"

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
yep. definitely..a hardware revision will definitely have to be planned.

Also if exclusives on the New 3DS take off...you can bet your ass that Smash Bros will be the last noteworthy game on the original 3DS as most developers will most likely abandon the original. Who wouldn't want to work with more RAM to creating their game and the zero probability that your game will be pirated? (for now until an exploit is found) Nintendo is looking to eventually replace the original 3DS

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Can Gateway 3DS counter by over-clocking our systems or spoofing the games into thinking we own a N3DS. I'm not in the position to buy a new console but can make room for a Circle Pad Pro XL if Gateway delivers. The N3DS will probably be on latest firmware or a completely new one with more security against exploits.

Single stupidest thing I've read on this forum. That's like asking if a gamecube exploit can trick the system into playing Wii games.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it's a dumb idea, but the comparison doesn't look alright.
Judging by the price difference, the upgrade must be very minor.
Exaggerating (a little) for effect but still. Some of the stuff I see posted here, like "someone should make a homebrew remake of majoras mask" was another one. just makes me cringe.
I'll laugh if the xenoblade remake (or some other future title) is just arbitrarily locked to the newer hardware and someone does manage to override the restriction. Won't I look like the asshole then ;P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4