Hacking Is it possible to dump New 3DS exclusive game cartridges on a normal 3DS?

DorDur215

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello!

So I'm looking into buying a normal 3DS as a utility device for dumping DS/3DS games and saves and general useful homebrew so not for actually playing anything.

I already have a New 3DS XL but I want to keep that one stock.

And my question is would I be able to dump New 3DS exclusive cartridges like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on a normal 3DS or would I have to buy a New 3DS for that?

In general is there any useful stuff (other then playing New 3DS exclusives) that you can only do on a New 3DS?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In general is there any useful stuff (other then playing New 3DS exclusives) that you can only do on a New 3DS?
  • Better performance in some games (later Pokemon)
  • No reboot into extended memory mode for complex games
  • MUCH(!) better performance with homebrew emulators
    • To some extent even PS1 and N64 which is pretty much hopeless on the old type
  • Stable 3D (head tracking)
  • A little faster WiFi
  • Integrated NFC reader (for Amiibo)
  • Additional buttons and C-stick (rather C-nub)

I have to confess I can't answer the question about dumping. There are few of these titles and I have none *puts this on wishlist*
Theoretically the inability to run a program should not stop a computer to read a medium (unless there is additional encryption).

Reactions: Ryccardo

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably be able to dump it but other than that, there isn't much you can do in term of it being playable on old 3ds. Frame rate is in the single digit for Xenoblade 3D.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In addition to the above features, the New 3DS models can be used for streaming over wifi using homebrew – though that doesn't tend to work very well. The web browser is also much improved, but still not nearly as good as an old smartphone.

And my question is would I be able to dump New 3DS exclusive cartridges like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on a normal 3DS or would I have to buy a New 3DS for that?
You wouldn't be able to play them on an old 3DS, and the dump wouldn't be useful on a "stock" New 3DS either. And someone else has surely made an indistinguishable dump available on the Internet by now. So it seems a bit pointless.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I already have a New 3DS XL but I want to keep that one stock.
You don't need to install anything to run arm9 homebrew anyway :D
(hint: you can compile GM9 for ntrboot and program a flashcard with that; while being bored enough to do so I also removed all the stupid security level nags and added B9S.firm and some other utilities to its ramdisk, in other words I made a standalone card capable of "modding")

And my question is would I be able to dump New 3DS exclusive cartridges like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on a normal 3DS
Yes, mainly because GM9 (like all arm9 homebrews) is its own standalone operating system - and it can configure all the encryption engines on its own (the cards themselves are not different, indeed they all have a 9.0+ update for O3DS to ensure the console is updated enough to understand the existence of N3DS exclusives)

the New 3DS models can be used for streaming over wifi using homebrew – though that doesn't tend to work very well.
The O3DS models can be used for streaming over wifi using homebrew – though that doesn't work very well
:P

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hint: you can compile GM9 for ntrboot and program a flashcard with that
I was kind of wondering if that was still supported or not; it certainly doesn't come up very often. Doesn't that require a special flashcard with unusually large amounts of programmable memory?

The O3DS models can be used for streaming over wifi using homebrew – though that doesn't work very well
I understood it was so awful on o3DS that it was barely worth considering at all.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Doesn't that require a special flashcard with unusually large amounts of programmable memory?
I don't remember how much ROM does the r4ids.cn have, or what exactly I stuffed into it, but it was enough to fit at the first attempt :)

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
  • Better performance in some games (later Pokemon)
  • No reboot into extended memory mode for complex games
  • MUCH(!)better performance with homebrew emulators
    • To some extent even PS1 and N64 which is pretty much hopeless on the old type
  • Stable 3D (head tracking)
  • A little faster WiFi
  • Integrated NFC reader (for Amiibo)
  • Additional buttons and C-stick (rather C-nub)

I have to confess I can't answer the question about dumping. There are few of these titles and I have none *puts this on wishlist*
Theoretically the inability to run a program should not stop a computer to read a medium (unless there is additional encryption).
If I remember correctly, Monster Hunter 4 is a good example of the difference in hardware between the Old 3DS and New 3DS.

The game on the New 3DS can run at 60fps with better textures and greater draw-distance while on the Old 3DS the game doesn't go above 30fps.

Hyrule Warriors is also a good example, the game on the Old 3DS is almost unplayable because of how low the framerate is, on the New 3DS it runs at almost a spiked 30fps and has a greater number of enemies on screen.

It's a shame that very few official games used the extra hardware of the New 3DS, I think some like Metal Gear Solid 3D could have gotten a patch, but unfortunately it didn't.

xUnleqitTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You don't need to install anything to run arm9 homebrew anyway :D
(hint: you can compile GM9 for ntrboot and program a flashcard with that; while being bored enough to do so I also removed all the stupid security level nags and added B9S.firm and some other utilities to its ramdisk, in other words I made a standalone card capable of "modding")

Yes, mainly because GM9 (like all arm9 homebrews) is its own standalone operating system - and it can configure all the encryption engines on its own (the cards themselves are not different, indeed they all have a 9.0+ update for O3DS to ensure the console is updated enough to understand the existence of N3DS exclusives)

:P
Hy, how can I compile godmode9 for a flashcard? I need this because I want to remove the cfw of my New 3DS but my sd reader doesn't work anymore :/

Last edited by xUnleqitTV,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hy, how can I compile godmode9 for a flashcard? I need this because I want to restore the NAND of my New 3DS but my sd reader doesn't work anymore :/
You follow the instructions at https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9 under "How to build this / developer info", which will probably be too complicated if you've never built anything before. :-P

You're probably better off asking for a binary in the Homebrew Discord.

ETA: Oh, wait, I think it's still in the latest "releases" archive. (That's the "GodMode9_ntr.firm" file in the ntrboot folder.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,

xUnleqitTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ETA: Oh, wait, I think it's still in the latest "releases" archive. (That's the "GodMode9_ntr.firm" file in the ntrboot folder.)
So i don't have to compile it by myself? :O but then I have the problem, that I don't know where i have to put it on my flashcard :(

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but then I have the problem, that I don't know where i have to put it on my flashcard
You don't "put it on your flashcard", you have to use a flashing program to flash your flashcard. It works the same way as flashing ntrboot normally, as described in https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot , only you're using godmode9_ntr.firm instead of boot9strap_ntr.firm .

Or at least, that's how it's supposed to work. Like I said, this really doesn't come up very often.

Unless @Ryccardo shows up with further advice, you are probably better off addressing this in your other thread rather than adding additional off-topic replies to this old thread.

Reactions: xUnleqitTV

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe noteworthy that running GodMode9 via ntrboot does not allow you to read from the flashcart microSD. So it does not solve your problem with the broken SD reader.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it's not possible with that to to a NAND restore?
You weren't asking about a NAND restore in the other thread; you were asking about removing CFW.

Obviously if you want to restore a NAND backup (or run a script or do literally anything else beyond the stock functionality of Godmode9) you are going to need a functional SD card reader in your 3DS. (Why would you think otherwise..?)

xUnleqitTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You weren't asking about a NAND restore in the other thread; you were asking about removing CFW.

Obviously if you want to restore a NAND backup (or run a script or do literally anything else beyond the stock functionality of Godmode9) you are going to need a functional SD card reader in your 3DS. (Why would you think otherwise..?)
I meant remove CFW sorry not NAND Restore 🙃

AeonFem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably be able to dump it but other than that, there isn't much you can do in term of it being playable on old 3ds. Frame rate is in the single digit for Xenoblade 3D.
I "emulated" the performance by lowering my clock speed with Rosalina, Minecraft gets an average of 10-30FPS. In theory if you could run this on the original 3DS or at least it's XL varient with a circle pad pro, N3DS games *might* be able to run. This is all a guess and I know nothing about the hardware tho.
Post automatically merged:

I "emulated" the performance by lowering my clock speed with Rosalina, Minecraft gets an average of 10-30FPS. In theory if you could run this on the original 3DS or at least it's XL varient with a circle pad pro, N3DS games *might* be able to run. This is all a guess and I know nothing about the hardware tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO